Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wrist pin clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I plan on installing my p/c next. I noticed that the wrist pin keepers are quite different. Is there a trick to install and removal of this type of clip?? The instructions say to pull it apart. It looks like a spring, but "don't spring it". not very clear.

Thanks,
Clark

Click to view attachment
stugray
1 - go get a GOOD set of dental picks. Craftsman will work.

2 - To put in the new clip, you set it over the hole, then using the dental pick, get under the last "loop" of the clip in back. You should be able to push that down into the hole, then keep working your way around until it is all in there and the last bit will click in.

3 - to remove, see the little "notch" in the end of the clip ring?
You would reach into the hole and grab that with the dental pick, and work it back out the reverse of how it went in.

Stu
TheCabinetmaker
I scratched my head at first, but its really pretty easy once you figure it out. I just stretched them out like a spring, worked them in a circular motion and kinda screwed them in. Removal just takes a small jewelers screwdriver to pry the end out of the groove where the notch on the end is.
malcolm2
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Dec 9 2011, 02:50 PM) *

I scratched my head at first, but its really pretty easy once you figure it out. I just stretched them out like a spring, worked them in a circular motion and kinda screwed them in. Removal just takes a small jewelers screwdriver to pry the end out of the groove where the notch on the end is.

That was my 1st thought. As the spring is pulled apart to make a coil the OD of the whole thing will get smaller. Is that physics or geometry? First time i have thought about either in quite some time.
malcolm2
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 9 2011, 02:47 PM) *

1 - go get a GOOD set of dental picks. Craftsman will work.

2 - To put in the new clip, you set it over the hole, then using the dental pick, get under the last "loop" of the clip in back. You should be able to push that down into the hole, then keep working your way around until it is all in there and the last bit will click in.

3 - to remove, see the little "notch" in the end of the clip ring?
You would reach into the hole and grab that with the dental pick, and work it back out the reverse of how it went in.

Stu

I bought a set from Lowe's to get the rear calipers dismantled. Can't be done without a pick of some sort. Now I get to use it again.
Van
Yeah, that's about how I did it when I rebuilt my engine: http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/page33.html
VaccaRabite
I just used a set of needle nosed plyers for the spiral clips. Start it in the slowly turn it into the groove. Push down on the last bits. The first side is easy the second side is not so easy. I also well oil the groove and clip to reduce friction.

Zach
malcolm2
Turns out it was not too difficult after all. Thanks for the pointers. Not everyone does it the same way. I was a bit worried that I would drop one in the open engine, but I worked thru that too. A bit out of focus, but the clip is heading in.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.