Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fixing door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
I am about to get working on my outer door handles. They both broke on the same day right before leaving to petit le mans, but in different ways.

On the drivers side I think it's the little plastic piece on the inside.
On the passengers side the handle is loose due to the plate breaking.
I have a new little plastic thingey and a new metal base for the other handle.

Anyone with experience that is willing to offer any tips or suggestions will be rewarded in their next life.
Mark Henry
The plastic thing you can buy. The plate I made a small 3/16ths metal piece tapped and with a groove, that looks stock, but clamps the plate down with the stock bolt.

I think it's URY914 that repairs these for low cost.
pete-stevers
Paul will fix em.. ( ury914)
URY914
You rang? biggrin.gif
ruby914
You may have broken yours the same place that I did mine.
I made a little steel clamp and used a nut and bolt.
It took a drill, hack saw, little file work and bending a joggle.
Works great.
ThePaintedMan
Niiiiccee! beerchug.gif

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Dec 10 2011, 12:45 PM) *

You may have broke yours the same place that I did mine.
I made a little steal clamp and used a nut and bolt.
It took a drill, hack saw, little file work and bending a joggle.
Works great.

dangrouche
the driver side one should not involve drilling of any metal; I got one from Rich at High Performance House, Redwood city, CA and Rich told me that you cut off the old one with a pair of dykes. then you put some grease on the metal. while the handle is flexed and held open you take the new plastic piece and "load" it on. The plastic piece I had had sort of a diamond point whereas if you comparethe new one to the old one, you will see the pivot point is rounded. For the other door handle, if you have the replacement kit, which woudl conisist of the handle and a metric nut and bolt, you would drill out the old one. take a photo of the handle BEFORE taking it apart so you can see how the spring is loaded onto the assembly. Sorry no pics but when you take it apart you will see what I mean. good luck
URY914
Using sheet metal is OK until it rusts and runs down your door. I've been doing this since I first fixed the one I broke in college. And that was a long time ago.

Click to view attachment
URY914
This is an old picture of the first one I fixed on my car. I use stainless steel nuts and bolts now,

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
If you keep posting pictures I'm gonna get OCD and end up trying to do it myself Paul! Then I'll never end up coming to Tampa to see your car. Seriously, now I see how you've done it. Seems feasible. Just time consuming.

ripper911
I already have the parts, I'm pretty much just wondering if there is anything out of the ordinary that y'all have encountered that might pop up.

I think I'll re-key the passenger side while I'm doing this, as I understand it's fairly straight forward, swap out the little things that stick in the lock cylinder until the key works, right?

Maybe I'll send the next ones to Paul, but I am planning on fixing them this weekend so I can continue driving the car without much delay.
URY914
George, when you coming over? Call me on my cell, I sent you the number in the PM.
URY914
Ripper, be careful not to break the flapper part of the handle when putting it back together. The spring makes it tough to get the bolt back in through the holes. I reuse the original pin on my repairs.
ripper911
All went well, I got the handles fixed yesterday without any problem, and without any of my repair manuals.

Today is tune-up day.
rfuerst911sc
Paul did his repair on both of my door handles and they work great. If anyone is on the fence on this one it's a no brainer send them to Paul. You won't regret it and they'll probably outlast the car biggrin.gif .
URY914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 11 2011, 04:06 AM) *

Paul did his repair on both of my door handles and they work great. If anyone is on the fence on this one it's a no brainer send them to Paul. You won't regret it and they'll probably outlast the car biggrin.gif .

Thank you kind Sir. I'm blushing. bye1.gif
flash914
While you are at it fix the root of the problem---the latch unit needs to be removed from the door and cleaned and lubed or the plastic part will bend again.
bryanf
I agree...as long as you have the door apart, pull the mechanism and clean it really well, lube it, inspect it for any bent of loose parts. Last one I fixed the rivet that holds the pivot for the release mechanism had loosened and the mechanism was binding...a couple taps with a hammer and a little lube and it works like new.
ripper911
The drivers side handle is smooth as a greased midget, but I may have to do a little more to the passenger door handle. beerchug.gif
URY914
Passenger side gets broken more often actually. Lack use and then you get some Bozo that rips the door open like it weighs as much as an American car door. Then they get in and slam it and weld it shut.
914werke
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 10 2011, 11:10 AM) *
EDIT I reuse the original pin on my repairs.

Why not a nut & bolt arrangement? How do you re-use a peened alum rivit?

URY914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 15 2011, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 10 2011, 11:10 AM) *
EDIT I reuse the original pin on my repairs.

Why not a nut & bolt arrangement? How do you re-use a peened alum rivit?

1. The pin is steel and not aluminum.
2. The orginal pin fits in the hole like it was was made for it. And it was.
3. A bolt is not the correct diameter. Which means a sloppy action.
4. The threads on a bolt will over time gall the povit surface of the handle.

Now the repair bolt that AA sells for thier replacement flapper is better than a standard bolt because it has a large shoulder and few threads. But still not as good as the original pin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.