Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
First, does anyone know the size of the nut that goes on where you adjust the terry cable back by the clutch fork, as my mechanic lost/forgot to put the second nut back on and I plan on getting another one at Ace, but don't recall what size it is.

I put on that delrin pulley on back, but also was wondering if that bolt should also be replaced as maybe it has some wear with a bit of play in it as well??

I adjusted the cable and when the clutch grabs, the pedal is about 2" off the floor board. Is that about the correct distance. If not, do I need to tighten it or loosen it?
After waiting about 5 seconds to put in reverse, it does not grind into gear. Is that any indication?
RonnieJ
Bump
GeorgeRud
On the cable I have, it's a 7mm nut. I always use two for safety and to keep them from coming loose.

Not always the easiest size to find at my local hardware store.
bigkensteele
I thought that it was 8mm, but I could be wrong.

The clutch should engage at the top 3rd of the travel. Find a post from Dr. Evil. At the bottom, in his signature, he has attached a document that details how to adjust the clutch travel.

It sounds like you need to tighten yours a bit.
dlee6204
The nut should be 7mm.
Drums66
......I'll join in 7MM idea.gif
bye1.gif
partwerks
Once the snow dries off and I can take it for a drive would be the way to know for sure if I need to tighten it if it slips, I take it, then tighten it up and few turns?

I know I had gotten one before at Ace. He just forgot to put it back on or didn't think I needed it, cuz I had it double nutted.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 12 2011, 05:45 PM) *

Once the snow dries off and I can take it for a drive would be the way to know for sure if I need to tighten it if it slips, I take it, then tighten it up and few turns?

I know I had gotten one before at Ace. He just forgot to put it back on or didn't think I needed it, cuz I had it double nutted.

If the one on there is a nyloc (with the nylon insert to grip the threads), you will be OK for the short-term. However, it should be double-nutted. I need to pick one up myself, as I just got mine together and only had the one.

PS Glad to see that you got in there and did this yourself! Pretty easy, huh?
914.SBC
I had a hard time finding a 7mm. If you dont have one, I think I have an extra. PM me and I will mail to you.
partwerks
The nut in front is not a Ny-loc, but the outer one was.

I didn't install the cable, the mechanic did. I just put on one of those delrin pulley's on the trans and had to loosen the cable to install it.

I think maybe the bolt that the bushing goes over in the pulley, maybe should be replaced also, as there is a bit of play in it also or is that normal?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(partwerks @ Dec 12 2011, 06:43 PM) *

The nut in front is not a Ny-loc, but the outer one was.

I didn't install the cable, the mechanic did. I just put on one of those delrin pulley's on the trans and had to loosen the cable to install it.

I think maybe the bolt that the bushing goes over in the pulley, maybe should be replaced also, as there is a bit of play in it also or is that normal?

That is normal. There is a sleeve that fits into the hole on the pulley which acts as a spacer for the nut. You tighten the nut down onto the sleeve, and there will be a bit of lateral play with the pulley.

You can get away without a nyloc as long as there are two nuts, but I would want at least one of them a nyloc, which may be tough to find locally in 7mm.
Dave_Darling
Double-nutting is more than sufficient. In fact, it is probably less secure to use one normal and one Nyloc nut than to use two regular nuts. Remember, they get tightened against each other.

An M8 nut will thread onto the cable end, BTW, but it will launch itself across the garage when you step on the clutch pedal for the first time... (Good luck to the next renters of that place; the garage probably had a lot of fasteners and stuff scattered around in it!)

--DD
partwerks
I slithered under the car and put the 7mm nyloc nut on this afternoon.

I didn't have any problems finding that size at Ace Hardware. I could also get them in wing nuts, acorn nuts, etc.

.46 cents worth. Wish everything was that cheap on this car......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.