Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: DisneyWorld and Epcot advice??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Well, I think I've talked the wife out of going to Panama for our 6th wedding anniversay trip (not too keen on getting my white @ss kidnapped, LOL) and we think we have it narrowed down to going to DisneyWorld and the Epcot Center instead.

Any advice?

Does it really take a few days to see both places?

Any nice resturants in Orlando to take the wife for our ann. dinner?
(Sept 12th if anyone cares)

thanks
GWN7
Race Rock...it's on the strip.....whole chicken leg in the chicken soup......very not romantic wink.gif
kc4ixi
Disney ROCKS! We are going the first weekend in September. It can easily take a few days to see the parks. At least a full day in each and depending on what you like to do and how much you really want to see, it can take more time than that. There are four separate parks now and all of them have something great to offer. My family really enjoys going there on vacation and we try to go as often as possible. We haven't been able to go for about 2 years and we are all really looking forward to the trip. Hope you have a great time! I just wish I could take the teener! biggrin.gif
Pnambic
There are now 4 separate parks, not counting the 2 waterparks and other things like Cirque du Solei, Pleasure Island, etc. The amount of time you need depends on how much you want to see. And of course, how quickly you want to see it. Some people like to relax and take their time. cool.gif Others are on a mission or something to see everything as fast as possible. wacko.gif

As long as you can avoid the hurricanes, you should have a good time regardless though. wink.gif can chime in with restaurant suggestions. Most of the resorts at Disney also have nice restaurants.
jr91472
If you're taking kids, yea a couple of days will be minimum. Go see MGM and Animal Kingdom while you're there. My kids loved Animal Kingdom and we loved the Rock-n-Rolling rollercoaster at MGM.

enjoy
richardL
There is an 'official' guide by a guy called Steve Birnbaum (I think). Get the book and spend a little time to read it - it will really help in figuring out whats cool to see and also the best sequence. It can make a tremendous difference when you go to get on certain rides - if you are clever you can avoid most of the long lines through timing and the use of the 'fast pass' facility.

Richard
gregrobbins
By all means, do Disney. And plan multiple days. Animal Kindom and MGM were my favorites. Wife and grandkids like Magic kingdon so we spend two days there--still did not do all the rides. Never made it to Epcot and I hear it is best. Disney employees said the restaurants at Epcot are superior. One told me she worked at Epcot for 8 years and never once hear a complaint about the food.

While in the area have dinner at Fish Bones in Orlando. Great food! We thought Sea World was good too. Also a day at St. Augistine would be worth while.

Come to think of it, maybe you need two weeks.
soloracer
Sure, you won't get kidnapped but a hurricane could blow in and leave the two of you stranded to your hotel room on your anniversary. With no power you two lovebirds would have to spend the entire holiday in bed..............on second thought....Florida it is!!! laugh.gif
Mueller
If you're taking kids, yea a couple of days will be minimum

no kids yet......we're working on it boldblue.gif wub.gif
cooltimes
You'll love it. Stay at a Disney resort. Expensive but tram lets you out almost in your bedroom. More time to enjoy the anniversary.
Food. Some places on Disney property are world class. I like to eat beyond the Disney area in Kissimee and Orlando. I like good Mexican food but can't recommend any place since I haven't been anywhere this century. There is a small Italian place there in Kissimee named Jessahepi or however you spell the name. Sounds like that. Very good and I don't say that often. Priced right. Wear clothes is all they require.
Take the BeeLine over to Cape Kennedy. Hope you can see a liftoff but if not visit the museum and paint numerals 914 on the space shuttle. If you get caught, they will know you are crazy if you mention you know of me.
One other thing. Take some rain protection. Showers pop up frequently.
Happy 6th.
beerchug.gif
Cooley
Curvie Roadlover
Plan to have a meal at the "Living Seas" restaurant in Epcot. You'll need reservations. Definately worth the effort!!
carr914
Yo might want to also try Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure. Some of the best rides anywhere. For a restaurant try Vito's Chophouse on International Drive. Great steaks, nice atmisphere and not touristy even though it's in the middle of the most tourist oriented street there is.
T.C.
dflesburg
Check out this web site before you go...

It is very very useful.

http://allearsnet.com/
Qarl
1., Defiinitely one day per park You can also get a multi-park "park hopper" pass that will allow you to go to any of the parts for X days....

2. Stay at a Disney Hotel. They are top notch. Swan, Dolphin, Grand Floridian, or the lodge at the Animal Kingdon (probably the neatest).

3. How fancy do you want to go for dinner? There is a really fancy, and expensive restaurant on top of the tallest building in downtown Orlando. Manuel's on the 28th... A super neat experience... five star. http://manuelsonthe28th.orlandofanatic.com/

Universal Studios Portofino Hotel is also very awesome with incredible restaurants...

4. No, i won't take you to the parks... I hate the parks... it is full of touritsts.... like yourself!
joea9146
If you are looking for a romantic Anniversary dinner place. Do dinner at the Top of the Disneys Contemporary Resort. Some great views from the top call a head an make reservations now...
Find out wat day and time the fireworks hapeen I believe you can watch them while having dinner.

smilie_pokal.gif

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dinin...GrillDiningPage
dflesburg
If you are looking for a Dinner Spot sans kids...

Try King Stephan's in the castle of the Magic Kingdom... Chicks love that! (even wife chicks)
Allan
Went there with my son in Sept/Oct of 1990. Great place to spend a few days. My biggest memory was that it rained every day at approx. 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. for about an hour or so and the humidity was intense so being from California we were not ready for it. But it's definitly a hoot! boldblue.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
Get reservations for the wife at Cinderella's Castle. Yes, the restaraunt is hidden Inside the upper part of the castle. Very exclusive (for Disney) and a bit pricey ($100+ for two) but she will feel like a princess and the service is great... food better than average. If you work it our right you will be done with dinner just in time to walk out and see Tinkerbell "Fly" from the top of the castle to start the evenings fireworks.

Another good spot is Mexico, China, UK, or France at Epcot's World Showcase. Again, for the good places you will need to make your reservations at least a day or two in advance... perhaps when you book the trip. You will see the best fireworks you have ever seen at Epcot's World Showcase.

You will need a minimum of three days. One day for Disney, and two days for Epcot Center (1 for Epcot proper and 1 for World Showcase).

DO NOT wait in line for the TEST RUN ride at Epcot. go to the SINGLE RIDERS line and get on in 5 mins. or less. It will make no difference if you and your wife ride seperate cars. The ride is cool, but only last about 60-90 seconds and is not worth the 2-3 hour waits in line.

If you decide to do MGM Studios or Animal Kingdom allow an extra day for each park. The Tower of Terror at MGM is incredible as is the Aerosmith Rockin' Rollercoaster. Animal Kingdon is very cool and wil get you bonus points with the wife if she is into animals.

Also, remember if you stay in one of the Disney hotels you get into the parks early and you get free transportation between the parks, your hotel, and to downtown disney & pleasure island where there are lots of shops, food, and nightclubs. You also get a discount on the park-hopper tickets.

You don't have to stay at the most expensive disney hotels either. We have stayed at the Corronado & the Port Orleans with excellent results. Clean rooms, good on site food, amazing pools, etc. all for about the price of a Hilton or Marriot. At less than $100/night it seems like a real bargain for all you get plus you get to stay in your vacation zone the entire time not messing with driving between parks, parking, etc.

Best of luck, have a great time!
URY914
I'll be happy to show you around for some needle bearings wink.gif

Paul
SpecialK
Don't forget to brush up on your Spanish (Or whatever language Cuban's and Puerto Rican's speak confused24.gif ). We were at Epcot about 5 years ago, felt like I should've been carrying my passport. Actually had to look whenever I heard someone speaking English, definitely a neat place though!

Seaworld is worth a look too!
URY914
Its called "Spaglish" 'round here.
SpecialK
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 19 2004, 05:18 PM)
Its called "Spaglish" 'round here.

Oh, I "Si" lol2.gif
tracks914
I was there this Feb. My highlights were, Mission to mars, the biggest free fall waterslide in the world (it will leave bruises for a week but was well worth it over and over again) and rockin roller coaster. I stayed on the resort in Port Orleans and would do it again. Good restuarants in downtown Disney.
Enjoy!
cooltimes
Mike and all,
Want to see Epcot or Disneyland right now?

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/famous.aspx

Go down to the 14th & 15th pix and there it is. A space shot photo.
Retirement! When there is nothing else to do, you can still cyber surf!!!
I can see trees around my house when I surf this link. LOL
Cooley
Rider914
I hate the parks, but I go about 4 times a year with the wife and kids. . . Stay at port orleans (medium $) or higher $ Disney hotel and ride the first bus to the parks. Get a map and head for the back (run), where the big rides are and skip the crowds. Then around lunch go walk around and check things out when everyone is standing in 1hr lines. They are almost no wait at daybreak.

I call it feeding the rat! Hand all of your money to the guy with the big ears.

Oh yea, there are cameras everywhere - they will throw you out for "making kids" grouphug.gif with your wife on a dark ride, BTDT. (not with your wife. . . err, nevermind)
Mueller
I'm going to DisneyWorld !!!!!!

Sept 11th we arrive in FL and will be there for a week staying at the Marriot @ Grande Vista (only cost us less than $150 for the week, Timeshare deal)

You Florida people get a good deal, you can purchase the tickets for what appears to be 50% lower than the rest of us....what's up with that?????
GWN7
It's the same deal if you live in CA and go to Disney Land. It's us tourists that get screwed. smile.gif

have a great time
Mueller
only 12 more hours before we head on back East...hope "Ivan" doesn't kick our @ss unsure.gif

If you hear of someone wearing a 914club hat groping Minnie, "it wasn't me" LOL

MDB2.gif
redshift
Sorry Mike, looks like there will be hurricanes the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekends..

Maybe put it off til mid Jan., when there will be two weeks in a row without hurricanes, and by that time, they have gotten timid, like say Cat 3..

You always have to watch out for those nasty afternoon hurricanes in Florida too, they form nearly everyday through well... there is that one day per year... Feb. 29th.

-look.... no superscript... lmao-

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.