Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Um...uh...this can't be good....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
naro914
One issue we ran into was that now, the oil tank that fits in the stock 914/6 location no longer fits. The console is up too high and encroaching on the tank. So, we cut a 'notch' into the tank:

mrbubblehead
nice work. i am jealous.
tomeric914
Very, very nice!

Why did you change the oil cooler? EDIT: I missed it, looks like there was interference with the new braces.
naro914
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 7 2012, 11:38 PM) *

.... looks like there was interference with the new braces.

Exactly.
Plus, i was always planning to change anyway - this just sped up that project. Our old cooler laid flat on the floor so the air would come into the shroud, then pass through the cooler on it's way out. its been VERY efficient, but eventually I want to have the hot air exit out the hood, not under the car where it's creating lift.

When I get the nerve to cut a hole in the carbon fiber hood....we'll change the exit point smile.gif
JmuRiz
Very cool stuff, looks seriously stout!

You mentioned your guy makes a really good engine mount, any more details on it?
tomeric914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 8 2012, 07:49 AM) *

...but eventually I want to have the hot air exit out the hood, not under the car where it's creating lift.

I ran a similar sized fan powered cooler out back that worked, but not enough so I am relocating to the front but am conflicted about the outlet.

Bottom - would add lift

Top - Adds complexity, plus I'm chickenshit to cut my hood

Wheelwells - more complexity in ducting but I have the capability to design and build it This probably also has the likelihood of blasting hot air and brake dust into the cockpit as well.

Why don't more folks duct into the wheelwells?
naro914
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 8 2012, 01:33 PM) *

Why don't more folks duct into the wheelwells?

I thought of doing this too, but was told not to by an aero guy and what he said makes sense: the space in front of your wheel-presumably where you would duct the air into- is a positive pressure space (think about the rotation of your wheel). Basically creating back pressure against your air flow from your cooler.
tomeric914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 8 2012, 05:12 PM) *

the space in front of your wheel... is a positive pressure space (think about the rotation of your wheel). Basically creating back pressure against your air flow from your cooler.

idea.gif, that's partially true, but the same could be said for air that gets past the air dam and flows under the car (in the case of dumping the air from the front mounted cooler under the car). There's no doubt that you want to duct from a high pressure area to the lowest pressure area possible, but that isn't always practical.

I'm still drooling over the rear console rework. Great job!
naro914
Actually under the car is negative pressure. That's why, at speed, a car with good aero actually sucks down to the ground.

This info is coming from a guy that's spent a lot of time in a wind tunnel... I believe him... smile.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 8 2012, 07:49 PM) *

Actually under the car is negative pressure. That's why, at speed, a car with good aero actually sucks down to the ground.

Under the car is the second best place to dump the air.
I know how well it works from the way I set up the oil cooler on my race car.
SCCA Prod rules are very strict about not cutting holes in the bodywork and underbody so I had to get creative. My cooler air path is in through one fog light opening (cutting a same size hole in the panel behind is allowed) and out through the little holes behind the airdam. The vertical bumper opening has about the highest pressure of any part of the car and behind the air dam has about the lowest. My oil has never run cooler than it does with the current setup.
In cool weather I can cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the inlet and still not overheat.
The only downside is the increase in pressure under the car. At the speeds of FProd it wasn't much of a factor though.
naro914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 8 2012, 01:20 PM) *

You mentioned your guy makes a really good engine mount, any more details on it?

Yes, I'll get pictures up soon and was planning to get it in the FS section, but have been so busy lately that I just haven't had a chance.
naro914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 9 2012, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 8 2012, 01:20 PM) *

Yes, I'll get pictures up soon and was planning to get it in the FS section, but have been so busy lately that I just haven't had a chance.

OK, so here are a few pictures of the mount in Papa Smurf. Mount comes with the black section powder coated, and the painted section bare metal since it needs to be welded.

I'll post up a picture of a 'raw', unmounted one.

Price is $375 plus shipping.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.