Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to 914 world
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
911 defector
Hi, I have been stalking this site for a couple of months now and decided that I should join and introduce myself. I bought an '89 911 last summer (my first Porsche), joined PCA and started attending events. While doing so, I have become attracted to the 914 and am gathering information on what the best years and options are if I decide to add one to my "collection".
My name is Jon, I'm 53 years old, and I live in Chicago. I'm not sure that this was the right location for me to post an intro, but I'm sure someone will let let me know if it's not.
mtn flyr
Yes, this is the right place to post an intro! This place is full of good info to help with the 914 madness. welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png santa_smiley.gif
Series9
Welcome Jon.

Without question, this site contains the most collective knowledge about 914s.

You will get help with anything you need. welcome.png
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif welcome.png

You have just been hook by this incurable addiction, you are "LOST " it starts

very slowly! In 2 yrs. you will have 1 914 on jack stands, & 3 as parts cars, or

1 for parts & the other 2 ,that you just couldn't resist buying.

Before you ask there is NO 12 step program, you are hooked. WELCOME

to the addiction!!!!!! And THE Club !! All Ques. will be Ans. and advice given

with truth & accuracy. By the Brother Hood of 914 adicts.

Hi my name is Dave and I am 914 addict!!!! Dave slap.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

1973 seems to be the most desirable year. Bottom line; look for rust! Then look for more rust! These cars like to rust badly under the battery tray. Find the car with the least amount of rust to start with. 2.0L is the most desirable motor but look for rust over engine size.
StratPlayer
welcome.png
markb
welcome.png

It's an addiction, there is no cure.

smile.gif
raw1298
welcome.png
jimkelly
this may be the one for you then.

keep in mind a paint job can set you back $5k.

and if it needs a hell hole and other metal repairs, that can set you back another $5k.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=155309

jim

johannes
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 17 2011, 08:43 AM) *

welcome.png

1973 seems to be the most desirable year. Bottom line; look for rust! Then look for more rust! These cars like to rust badly under the battery tray. Find the car with the least amount of rust to start with. 2.0L is the most desirable motor but look for rust over engine size.

Welcome to the world.
I agree with what has been said. I only would ad this advice. Check for rust !
Elliot Cannon
welcome.png Of all Porsches the 914 has the best handling qualities therefore the most fun to drive and is the least expensive to work on, race, auto cross or just drive daily. It is an addiction but one you won' be sorry to have.

Cheers, Elliot
GeorgeRud
As a long time 914 owner from the Chicago area (yes, we do have members in the midwest), I think you will find that there are cars for sale every once in a while that are in nice shape if you're interested. I currently have two cars that I have kept while having gone through a couple of 911s myself, and I still enjoy them every chance I get.

One of the best resources we have in Brad Mayeur in Peoria (914Ltd), who I've known since the mid 70s. He often knows who has a good car for sale, and can repair anything on the 914 with ease.

The annual Chicago PCA members meeting is in January, and also a great place to meet other members. Look forward to meeting you some time, though everyone seems to hibernate over the winter around here!
Jeffs9146
You will get help with anything you need.

agree.gif

Even 911 stuff! beerchug.gif

welcome.png
ellisor3
Here is the formula:

914 + rust> $$$$$$

welcome.png

chuckc
welcome.png Hey Hey,
Welcome. Great folks here with some good advice. Good luck finding the right 914.

1 test when looking for that teener is to take the top off and see if there is a change in the door gaps and if they become harder to open and close, if so it has structural rust issues.

peace,
chuck
campbellcj
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 17 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Here is the formula:

914 + rust> $$$$$$

welcome.png

Actually to me it's

914 + rust = RUN AWAY !!!

welcome.png
Tom_T
welcome.png & to the madness! wacko.gif
santa_smiley.gif
ww914
I am new to this madness as well. I am disappointed though that the last scheduled event was 2008. What's up with that? Do you guys not like to get together for runs or anything?
Richard Casto
welcome.png

The membership here is quite a wealth of information. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Richard
ConeDodger
welcome.png
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far far away biggrin.gif
Bob L.
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 17 2011, 10:43 AM) *

welcome.png

1973 seems to be the most desirable year.

why is that? confused24.gif

Luckily, I guess, mine is a 73.
cwpeden
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 17 2011, 11:04 PM) *

welcome.png

Most options, in later years, were standard in '73
audio_file
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 17 2011, 11:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 17 2011, 11:04 PM) *

welcome.png

Most options, in later years, were standard in '73

Also, 2.0 available without smog garbage, and no big heavy rubber bumpers...
911 defector
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!..........and here is my first stupid question: Rust being an issue with most 914's, if I can find one that is relatively rust free, will rust be an ongoing issue while owning the car, or is there something I can do to prevent more rust from occuring; aside from washing, waxing, and generally taking care of the car? Thanks, Jon
poorsche914
QUOTE(ww914 @ Dec 17 2011, 06:28 PM) *
I am new to this madness as well. I am disappointed though that the last scheduled event was 2008. What's up with that? Do you guys not like to get together for runs or anything?

The Events page is woefully out of date. There are many events that are held throughout the year all across the US. Most will be posted here in the Garage and, as the date looms closer, the larger events will be highlighted with a color.

driving.gif
mburkhart
Welcome to 914world!

I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago, send me a private message if you'd like to meet up with a local 914 owner.

The most collectable are unarguably the 1970-1972 914-6's (2.0L 6-cyl Porsche engines). These were only made for 3 years, and after 1972 the 6-cyl was replaced with a 2.0L 4-cyl. You're going to pay $35k+ for a "six" in decent shape.

Next in line are 1973 2.0L 4-cyl. These have no bumper guards and no smog equipment (more power than later years). All options were standard in 1973. For this reason even a 1.7L from 1973 can be more desirable than some later cars. Prices seem to run from about $4k for a driver up to $20k+ for a pristine one.

Next is the 1974 2.0L 4-cyl with all options. In 1974, the chrome bumpers, Fuchs alloy wheels, center console, anti-sway bars were all optional. Some cars had them and some didn't. Still no smog gear though, so a 1974 with all options is virtually identical to a 1973 (with some minor exceptions). Similar prices as the 1973.

Last are the 1975-1976 2.0L 4-cyl. The smog equipment on these and the huge rubber impact bumpers are not as desirable. It's very easy to swap out the bumpers for earlier chrome bumpers though, and depending on where you live it may even be legal to remove or bypass the anti-smog equipment. Some folks can't stand the big bumpers and some folks don't seem to notice the difference.

Another thing to remember is that all 914-4's came from the factory with fuel injection (the 914-6 came with carbs). A 914-4 with a carborator is never stock, and an owner along the way has decided to replace the stock fuel injection with a carborator for some reason.

One last thing I'd recommend is not to get too caught up with which engine you need to have. The horsepower difference between a 1.7, 1.8, and 2.0 isn't huge. The real fun of driving a stock 914 is in the handling and not in the straight-aways. If you want a lot of power in a 914 then buy one that's already been upgraded to a late-model Porsche 6-cyl (or v8, or Subaru, etc) or plan to upgrade it yourself.

Correction: all options weren't standard in 1973, but they were grouped together in a single package. So an optioned 1973 has all available options where in 1974 (and later) each option could be selected separately.
Dave_Darling
Yes, rust is an ongoing issue.

Keeping known rust areas as clean as you can is probably the best prevention. Periodically unbolting the bottom of the rocker covers to knock out all of the dirt that accumulates is a Very Good Thing. Making sure you don't have standing water or dirt in the "hell hole" area in front of the battery will help that area as well.

Good paint will help keep rust at bay, but only if there are no holes or cracks through it.

The factory used foam filler in several areas, but after three or four decades these often seem to hold moisture in rather than keep it out. So sometimes it is a good idea to dig out what you can.

Rust conversion paints can help, but it is not usually enough on its own.

...Oh, and for events, keep your eye on this very forum. There are big events about a half-dozen times per year in various areas of the country. There are smaller events in some areas every month or so, and there are often people talking about going to events that we don't specifically organize pretty frequently. (E.g., Cars and Coffee, PCA or other club autoXes, etc.)

--DD
mburkhart
QUOTE(911 defector @ Dec 18 2011, 12:03 PM) *

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!..........and here is my first stupid question: Rust being an issue with most 914's, if I can find one that is relatively rust free, will rust be an ongoing issue while owning the car, or is there something I can do to prevent more rust from occuring; aside from washing, waxing, and generally taking care of the car? Thanks, Jon

I'm sure a real mechanic can give you some good advice, but here's what I've learned from here over the years:

The worst rust is usually in the "hell-hole", which is in the engine compartment below the battery tray. Due to the way the battery was placed, rain water can wash directly over the battery and then collect in the bottom of the engine compartment - taking any acid from the top of the battery with it. This is a major cause of rust in most 914's.

Another poor choice in the car design was the rocker panel covers: road grime from the rear wheels can pack up (and hold moisture) against the rockers causing rust. To prevent this, remove the rocker panel covers and clean out the debris regularly.

In my own car, a small crack in the tail-light was allowing water to drip into the rear trunk, which collected under the carpet and caused some minor rust damage.

The targa tops don't seal so well after 35-40 years either, so water can get into the cabin if the weatherstripping hasn't aged well. Replacing the weatherstripping on a 914 can be very expensive, which probably keeps a lot of folks from doing it.
PanelBilly
Welcome to the family. Would you be a driver or a wrencher?
GaroldShaffer
welcome.png There nice number of 914 addicts in the Chicagoland area. I'm just over the Ill / Ind state line in Portage, Ind. There are many threads on here showing the different rust issues with these cars. Click on THIS LINK to see my project thread and you will see some of the typical rust issues.

If you find a car you like feel free to ask one of us locals to help you check it out. As George said keep Brad Mayeur on your go to list. A great guy with lots of connections. He owns 914ltd down state in East Peroia. His number is 309-694-1797.
NORD

You say you came from the 911 world! Some advice, Keep those friend

and share them with us as 911 parts are a upgrade to our cars santa_smiley.gif

welcome.png

Socalandy
welcome.png
911 defector
I sent you a PM
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ww914 @ Dec 17 2011, 03:28 PM) *

confused24.gif WCR is every year? As is Red Rocks? And we just did a convoy up to Rennsport Reunion?
911 defector
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 18 2011, 02:44 PM) *

I am probably more of a driver right now. I am pretty handy but I generally don't do the work on my daily drivers , and the 911 I bought last summer has been trouble free except for oil changes and such. Unfortunately most of my time is spent making money to pay the bills.
911 defector
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 17 2011, 01:44 PM) *

As a long time 914 owner from the Chicago area (yes, we do have members in the midwest), I think you will find that there are cars for sale every once in a while that are in nice shape if you're interested. I currently have two cars that I have kept while having gone through a couple of 911s myself, and I still enjoy them every chance I get.

One of the best resources we have in Brad Mayeur in Peoria (914Ltd), who I've known since the mid 70s. He often knows who has a good car for sale, and can repair anything on the 914 with ease.

The annual Chicago PCA members meeting is in January, and also a great place to meet other members. Look forward to meeting you some time, though everyone seems to hibernate over the winter around here!

Thanks for the tip about Brad Mayeur, I never heard of him until now. Though I'm not ready to get a 914 yet. I need to learn more about what I'm getting into and I also have to convince my wife that buying another sports car is a good idea! (not so easy)
mburkhart
QUOTE(911 defector @ Dec 19 2011, 04:31 PM) *

Thanks for the tip about Brad Mayeur, I never heard of him until now. Though I'm not ready to get a 914 yet. I need to learn more about what I'm getting into and I also have to convince my wife that buying another sports car is a good idea! (not so easy)

Just do what I did and bring her for a test drive. My wife was sold on a 914 after she took her first ride in one. The best part is that she can't drive stick, so I always get to drive!
Ferg
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Welcome biggrin.gif
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(911 defector @ Dec 19 2011, 04:24 PM) *

I am probably more of a driver right now. I am pretty handy but I generally don't do the work on my daily drivers , and the 911 I bought last summer has been trouble free except for oil changes and such. Unfortunately most of my time is spent making money to pay the bills.

welcome.png birthday3.gif

As you have already bought the "Donor" car (911) I would say you have started on the path to the dark side! We see 911's as donor cars sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif shades.gif . Some will say to keep it stock and others will say "it's yours, do with it what you like"!

Regardless, your doomed to a life of jackstands, an occasional smack across the back of the head from "Cap'n Krusty" and a few others (Ferg, Slits, etc.) for what can be construed as WTF.gif questions! slap.gif chair.gif

Put a refrigerator in your garage stocked with beer beerchug.gif and maybe a few Cherry Pepsi's just in case "JRust" decides to stop by, when he is buying up all the 914's in your area! lol-2.gif

Other than that thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif We like alot of pictures! Even of the "Donor" car. blink.gif

Your screwed, welcome to the madness!!!! screwy.gif
911 defector
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will put up some pics of the "donor Car" ASAP. Let me look around for some. The car is in storage right now so I can't get any new ones. Jon
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Dec 21 2011, 02:34 PM) *

As you have already bought the "Donor" car (911) I would say you have started on the path to the dark side! We see 911's as donor cars sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif shades.gif . Some will say to keep it stock and others will say "it's yours, do with it what you like"!

Regardless, your doomed to a life of jackstands, an occasional smack across the back of the head from "Cap'n Krusty" and a few others (Ferg, Slits, etc.) for what can be construed as WTF.gif questions! slap.gif chair.gif

Put a refrigerator in your garage stocked with beer beerchug.gif and maybe a few Cherry Pepsi's just in case "JRust" decides to stop by, when he is buying up all the 914's in your area! lol-2.gif

Other than that thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif We like alot of pictures! Even of the "Donor" car. blink.gif

xsJerry

The problem is that Buying a 40 year old sports car is never going to be a good idea. I only got permission to buy a 914 because of some aces I was holding in the negotiation process. I hope to bring home my first teenser next week.
911 defector
QUOTE(xsJerry @ Dec 22 2011, 10:14 AM) *

The problem is that Buying a 40 year old sports car is never going to be a good idea. I only got permission to buy a 914 because of some aces I was holding in the negotiation process. I hope to bring home my first teenser next week.

Congratulations!!! please post some pics when you can. Jon
Mikey914
Brad is a very knowledgable and pretty well know source for 914's in your area, I'm sure he can help you down the path of the 914 addiction.

Welcome
914werke
I disagree with Marks desirability pecking order, its more like /6, LE's, 73 2.0L, 74 2.0L then 76 (only 2.0L's) then 73 1.7L after that .....

911 defector
Thanks for posting the manual, it will make for some interesting reading.

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Dec 21 2011, 02:34 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.