Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Also new to 914 world
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr.tim
Hello 914 world,

I recently purchased a '72 914-4 that was converted at some point to 2.0L. Unfortunately, the inspection and purchase was done by proxy and the car is still 1200 miles away in California. I will bring it up to begin work when convenient, probably this summer. One of downsides of living in Montana is that I have to look for rust free cars elsewhere. The other is that I have long commutes to race tracks.

This is all that I have seen of the car...Pictures:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

WHY 914?
I have been instructing HPDEs for ~6 years now with ACNA, and occasionally with PCA:
Laguna Seca
Sears Point
Spring Mountain
Buttonwillow
Thunderhill
Arroyo Seco
Inde Motorsports Ranch
Heartland Park
Miller Motorsports Park
Mid Ohio
Nelson Ledges

(at Spring Mountain)
IPB Image

I do fairly well with my current car, but it has fundamental limitations of the understeer kind. It can be overcome with technique, but that tends to consume tires. I am at the point where I have achieved all that I can with the current car, and need something that rotates. I am also getting tired of catching BMWs at every corner and having them pull away down the straights. I was considering several new cars (CaymanS, TTRS), but I really want to move toward a dedicated track car that I don't have to drive to the track and prep when I get there.

Modern cars carry a fair bit of extra weight which has impacts on the track, as well as requiring more substantial vehicles for towing. So something older fit the bill and would leave more money for tow vehicle and trailer. I was still on the fence between old and new cars when the car I bought fell into my lap and made the decision for me. Luckily, I have an understanding wife, and I assured her that this would be a cheaper project than buying a Cayman S new. (A lot more unique as well.)

I am no stranger to 914s. I used to drive with Dave Shepard of GPR in SLO county, and was my first exposure to engine-swapped 914s. I owned a wrecked 914 for a while which I parted and used the engine for the deathmachine I built:

IPB Image

So I am familiar with the type IV, as well as the chassis and some of the standard issues with the car. Unfortunately, I have never even driven one!

I enjoy the process of fabrication, so stripping, caging, reinforcing, and flaring is in the plan. The target is a vehicle with:
-power to weight ratio on par with GT3s
-minimal compromises for streetability
-flares for more substantial tires
-fun.

The current plan is a 3.6L + 915 swap and a fair bit of help in the suspension department.
PeeGreen 914
welcome.png Sounds like a fun project beerchug.gif
Tom_T
welcome.png .... and I think you'll be much happier driving.gif the 914 project you're planning.

santa_smiley.gif
Grelber
Sounds like a great project. Oh, and welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr.tim @ Dec 17 2011, 01:10 PM) *
The current plan is a 3.6L + 915 swap and a fair bit of help in the suspension department.

That is a good plan! biggrin.gif

There's a link in my signature to my 3.6L conversion thread.

welcome.png
ConeDodger
welcome.png
mtn flyr
welcome.png Where in Mt. are you? 914s are pretty rare around here!
campbellcj
welcome.png

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about your project!
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
dlee6204
welcome.png driving.gif
zambezi
Welcome. With your plans it sounds like you should jump into the group buy being arranged for wheel flares. DE's are fun. hope to attend one someday in my 914 also. I too have never driven my 914 on the street yet just first gear around my yard. I've had it about 5 years now. Good luck and show us pics as you go along.
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far far away biggrin.gif
dr.tim
Thanks for the greetings everyone. I will indeed keep you informed and well pictured of progress. To answer a few specific posts:

Sir Andy, I have been poking through your thread (and socalstuttgart) this morning already. It will be useful in preventing the repeating of mistakes I hope.

mtn flyr, 914s a rarity...hence expanding my search to the entire western US for a good example. I am in lovely Butte working as a quantum mechanic / general problem solver for our local silicon plant.

I love this guy! -----> IPB Image Just know that. in this case, the conversion was self-imposed.

zambezi, DEs are indeed fun. I am an addict and need my fix; I can't get enough of the track, whether teaching, riding, or driving. It is purity of focus and the art of optimization. Done right, it is not unlike the feeling one gets from sailing..I find it relaxing. I hope to see you on the track someday, and with my habit of driving across the country in search of new roadcourses, the probability is not slim. I am seriously considering joining the GB, I am only curious of what those flares will limit me to WRT tire width...anyone know off hand?

Gustl, I have spent only a brief time in your part of the world. I was in Tirol early 2010 for winter driving school. (I think we will go back next winter with a few friends.) This is on the wall in my office!
IPB Image

I was pouring over some old catalogs this morning as well...now I'm getting excited!
rick 918-S
Just wait until you actually drive one! The 3.6 swap will make you pucker!
dr.tim
Acceleration doesn't make me pucker. I spent some time in a GT2 at MidOhio this year! w00t.gif

Lack of brakes however, does...
johannes
welcome.png

From far away too ...
NORD

welcome.png

We are getting a new track up in the PNW The Ridge by Shelton WA.

Maybe see you over here. driving.gif
rohar
welcome.png

And hey, Butte isn't that far from Spokane County Raceway. A 3.6 might actually make that massive straight a bit exciting.
Socalandy
welcome.png
mojorisen914
welcome.png
Chris Pincetich
driving.gif
keep it black
biggrin.gif
welcome.png
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 19 2011, 06:20 PM) *

driving.gif
keep it black
biggrin.gif
welcome.png

agree.gif Keep it black with those bumpers! Awesome! welcome.png

Yeah! Another 3.6! Build it! Build it! One of us! One of us! lol
dr.tim
It shall remain black.

It shall retain the bumpers!

Fret not: I wouldn't destroy the the two best things (besides the lack of rust )about the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.