Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Results from changing my tranny oil to SWEPCO 201
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Steve
QUOTE(jfort @ Oct 22 2020, 10:59 AM) *

There's a similar discussion on RennList 997 site. The consensus was that a change to Swepco in those cars made a noticeable improvement. I changed to Swepco and I agree. But that's a 2007 tranny opposed to 1970.

In 1987 Porsche went from Porsche synchro technology in the 911 to a Borg Warner design (G50). Huge improvement over the 901/914/915 trans. That's the reason why 1987 911's are worth allot more, than there predecessors.
rhodyguy
JP was a funny guy.
euro911
@T H O M A S always recommended the cheeeeep gear oil from AutoZone. I think the brand was 'Global' idea.gif
Steve
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 22 2020, 01:09 PM) *

@T H O M A S always recommended the cheeeeep gear oil from AutoZone. I think the brand was 'Global' idea.gif

The 901/914 trans already shifts easier compared to a 915 trans. I agree with Dr. Evil, Thomas and others on this thread. I wouldn't waste money on gear oil for a 914 trans. FLAPS non synthetic 90 weight gear oil is all you need.
914_teener
QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 22 2020, 08:28 AM) *

After many years of street and track 911 experience and attempts to improve transmission shifting by use of different brand oils, including Swepco, I place swept alleged improvements in the category of mythology. dry.gif

Seeing this old thread with Doc gave me a chuckle with the old posts.

agree.gif and I'll add this one as worthy a classic therin and above.

Carry on.

Gint
I miss John (Cap'n Krusty). I miss JP. I'm surprised Ron (Slits) didn't post in this thread. I miss him too.

There's a similar discussion on RennList 997 site. The consensus was that a change to Swepco in those cars made a noticeable improvement. I changed to Swepco and I agree. But that's a 2007 tranny opposed to 1970.

That's interesting. Maybe I'll put the rest of that Swepco I didn't use in the Boxster and try it. The 901 didn't seem to like it. I use the cheap stuff in my 914/901 transaxle.
euro911
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 22 2020, 06:31 PM) *
I miss John (Cap'n Krusty). I miss JP. I'm surprised Ron (Slits) didn't post in this thread. I miss him too.

That's interesting. Maybe I'll put the rest of that Swepco I didn't use in the Boxster and try it. The 901 didn't seem to like it. I use the cheap stuff in my 914/901 transaxle.
Let us know how that works out, Mike. I'll probably change the transxale fluid in the Cayman when I do the next oil change - just because I wasn't privy to the PO's maintenance records dry.gif
steuspeed
I started this thread and I can confirm SWEPCO is a bad idea in vintage transmissions. Go with the old factory spec non synthetic 90wt hypoid gear oil. It's hard to find. It will be the cheapest on the shelf, but it works. The new stuff is too slick for the syncros to work properly. Once you put SWEPCO in it will be contaminated. It will take several oil changes to get it cleaned out.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Oct 23 2020, 04:10 AM) *

I started this thread and I can confirm SWEPCO is a bad idea in vintage transmissions. Go with the old factory spec non synthetic 90wt hypoid gear oil. It's hard to find. It will be the cheapest on the shelf, but it works. The new stuff is too slick for the syncros to work properly. Once you put SWEPCO in it will be contaminated. It will take several oil changes to get it cleaned out.

Just a straight 90? I was told dino 80w90 GL-5.
But experience speaks louder.

Addendum-I looked in the manual and it does indeed stipulate 90
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.