Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76 914 non-cat mint survivor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Pages: 1, 2
jasen29
Click to view attachment
jasen29
Click to view attachment
jasen29
Click to view attachment
jasen29
Click to view attachment
jasen29
Click to view attachment
jasen29
Click to view attachment
jasen29
Click to view attachment
jasen29
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 22 2011, 01:56 PM) *

Beautiful 914! drooley.gif wub.gif

Unfortunately being a non-cat/non-CA 76, it will be impossible to smog & register here in CA, but a great find for the other 49 states or overseas!

EDIT - I see now you added $20k price at end.
BTW - you'll need to list a price by the classified rules here, unless my old eyes are missing it in the text. blink.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif This is a Legal , NON-catalytic car that never came with a Cat from texas so I do not think that reply is correct , at least that is not what my smog guy told me when I took it to him. In 76 many car mfgs. were going through various stages of attempts to satisty some very vague certification requirements from particular states with Calif. leading the way in stringent reqs.. Other states were slow to have to comply and ultimately mfgs ( and the states) made all rules and regs the same for all. , as it basically is today. Smog guy ( who has done all my collectible cars) said he can pass it with no problem. in fact, if this is a issue for any buyer I will get it smogged!) They are supposedly smogged in the way they came from the factory regardless of where it was sold intially and only if all of" that" states original smog equipment is still verifiable and in place,,,,,,,and this one has it all in place. All it really has of substance ( as far as smog stuff goes) is a smog pump and that is it. I will take a pic of the NON - CAT stricker on the inside of the drvs door after xmas or sooner
santa_smiley.gif
jasen29
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 22 2011, 01:56 PM) *

Beautiful 914! drooley.gif wub.gif

Unfortunately being a non-cat/non-CA 76, it will be impossible to smog & register here in CA, but a great find for the other 49 states or overseas!

EDIT - I see now you added $20k price at end.
BTW - you'll need to list a price by the classified rules here, unless my old eyes are missing it in the text. blink.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
santa_smiley.gif this is a legal non- cat car ( never did never will) from the factory that was the way cars were sold in many ( if not all states) in 1976 which was the fist yr for cat convertors on ,most cars i.e. triumph tr6 did not have one in 75 but did in 76. some cars like this one were not required to have one if they came to states that did not require it yet and for some also if they were able to pass the test for various pollutants without one ,,,,,like surbaru and a few others made it all the way to ( i think ) 79 without a cat convertor. see my last page at the bottom for another response

Tom_T
Jasen,

If you go to the link below compiled by another member here, you'll see that several model years had separate California & 49 state model specifications, as well as "rest of world" engined 914s.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

You're correct that CA led the charge on smog control requirements for cars starting in 67-68 MYs. These smog requirements steadily increased, and are still increasing today. The 75 & 76 MY 914s received catalytic converters & other CA specific equipment to meet CA Emissions reqts. starting with the 75 MY (76's in CA fit all had cats), whereas the other 49 states didn't require those standards nor equipment.

Your 76 wears those tags and the original sales documentation should show one of the 476XXX model numbers for North America/49 states, being that it was sold new in SD. It would pass the 76 MY requirements as built for any of the other 49 states, but would not do so to the CA 76 MY limits as fitted from the factory without the CA specific gear. You're guy may be able to do some tweaking to get it to pass, but she'll run like crap.

I don't know if CA DMV has a special out-of-state car exemption process for bringing a non-CA car that isn't under the pre-75 smog certification exemption, which would allow you to smog it & register in CA using the 76 MY 49 state standards instead.

In the 1990's the state instituted a rolling date smog check exemption for classic cars over 30 years old, but unfortunately the froze it after just a few years at the 1975 MY. Ergo, 1976 MY & after cars are not exempt.

Since so few 76 MY 914s were built & perhaps 40% came in CA fitment, it's generally been harder for 76 914 owners to keep them "smog legal" in CA due to the lack of replacement parts when something fails. However, the non-CA 75 & 76 914s have slightly better performance than their CA bretheren, whereas there is less difference in the 70-74 MYs - except for the 73 CA 1.7L, which got choked down to only 72/69 HP vs. the original 70-72 & non-CA 73 1.7s at 80/78 HP, which is why they went to the 1.8 for 74-75. The Euro/ROW motors all had about 5 HP over their USA counterparts BTW.

I hope that clarifies what I was getting at with your 914.

Cheers! beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 22 2011, 02:54 PM) *

Engine and hell hole area pictures please.

Jasen, he's looking for pix on the engine topside & below, and hell hole at the battery in the engine bay & cavity area just below it where 914s are known to rust.
bcheney
Very nice looking 914. One has to look at many to find one in this condition...
BajaXJ92
This car excites me. sheeplove.gif wub.gif
JeffBowlsby
Gorgeous 914. Love the tan interior, it is a different vinyl than most. INteresting that it did not have foglights.

Is that tool kit on the blue hood from this car?

Its obvious this car is original but I have never seen a fuel tank with that gloopy texture coating on it.
mepstein
Post #7 - Did the 76's not have the holes cut for plugs? I thought that was just on replacement panels.
Tom_T
Jasen,

Based on your replies yesterday, today I called my mechanic who has worked on my 73 914-2.0 since I bought it in Dec. 75 (and he checked a couple of dozen 914s before that), who was factory trained on 914s. He directed me to the Cal BAR website pages I've linked below.

Apparently the 1996 changes now allow either CA or US-EPA smog controls equipped used vehicles to be registered in CA, but they still need to be smog checked to their respective CA or US standards. So I stand corrected on that out-of-state part.

You/anyone as a seller must provide a smog certification upon selling any car newer than 1973 (i.e.: `74 MY up - even though only 76 MY & up need to pass biannual inspections). I don't know if that can be applied to out-of-state sellers to have them get the check, since this is a CA state requirement, but my guess is it is up to the CA buyer/resident.

So there is the requirement to get a smog certificate for any car coming into CA to get it registered, although I would presume that one could get a Non-Op if it was currently registered out of state & wouldn't be driven in state. The smog check/certificate is good for the sale certificate for 90 days.

See these links & contact BAR &/or DMV with any questions:

See item #3 here re CA or US emissions eqpt.:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_S..._Equip_Req.html

Smog check reqts. here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/01_ConsumerActivitie...aSmogCheck.html

A chart that makes the above easier: biggrin.gif
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_S..._smog_check.pdf

I hope this sheds some light on your beauty there, & again - good luck! beerchug.gif

I'll post this in the Garage Forum too, since it affects other folks here too.

Merry santa_smiley.gif & Happy beer3.gif
Tom
///////

JeffBowlsby
Its doubtful that a smog cert would be a problem for this car, but if it is, installing a cat would probably take care of it.
MoveQik
Wow. Just wow..... drooley.gif

Amazing car.
Stonepilot
QUOTE(jasen29 @ Dec 22 2011, 04:43 PM) *

I though you said 1000% no rust, looks like rust to me but nice car
Tom_T
QUOTE(jasen29 @ Dec 22 2011, 03:22 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

Has the rear trunk floor been replaced, or just resprayed?

I think I see some overspray on the clips for the jack straps, which wouldn't have been in place at the factory spray originally.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 27 2011, 07:53 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

I think I see some overspray on the clips for the jack straps, which wouldn't have been in place at the factory spray originally.

Tom...that painted clip is welded to the trunk floor, the galv flat metal tab is on the rubber strap end...looks original to me.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 27 2011, 09:13 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

Tom...that painted clip is welded to the trunk floor, the galv flat metal tab is on the rubber strap end...looks original to me.

Thanx Jeff, the ones on my 73 must've been masked all the way down then, because it was raw metal (silver color) all the way down the clips - or were before my own repaints.
jasen29

IPB Image

IPB Image

Tom...that painted BRACKETT is welded to the trunk floor, the galv flat metal tab is on the rubber strap end...looks original to me. TOM AND jEFF ,, many times something is so rare to find in it's origianl state that no one remembers it that way< and then it is questioned .There are many things on this car that are that way . to me? thaT IS PART OF THE FUN !!!. REALIZING THAT WE MAY HAVE NOT KNOWN ALL ALONG AND NOW WE DO!

Tom from jasen (owner) Jeff is correct that is a Mint ( original )piece of galvanized strap metal that is overlayed againist the painted brackett underneath. THE TRUNK HAS NEVER BEEN TOUCHED!. as 98% of the rest of the total volume of paint on the entire car> some very very small areas have been touched up from nicks with a tooth pick and or small pin line brush. the engine bay is mint, MINT , MINT MINT MINT MINT as well as the hell hole , door jams, trunk (frt and rear) underbody has no undercoat all IS ,MINT FROM ORIGINAL! Note: SO MUCH OF THIS CAR IS MINT ORIGINAL THAT I HAVE HAD TO DO GREAT RESEARCH AND COMPARISON TO OTHERS AND THAT MY FINDINGS ARE THAT REALLY , THIS CAR , IN ALMOST ALL WAYS , SHOULD BE USED AS THE " STANDARD " OR MODEL" TO COMPARE OTHERS WHEN IT COMES TO AUTHENTICITY AND ORIGINALITY. NOT A FASTENER, NUT , BOLT , SEAL, SCREW, BOLT , CLIP, MOULDING, GASKET, BOOT, WASHER, GLASS, VINYL, CARPET, HINGE, PLASTIC PIECE,HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM NEW
jasen29
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 23 2011, 02:43 PM) *

Jasen,

Based on your replies yesterday, today I called my mechanic who has worked on my 73 914-2.0 since I bought it in Dec. 75 (and he checked a couple of dozen 914s before that), who was factory trained on 914s. He directed me to the Cal BAR website pages I've linked below.

Apparently the 1996 changes now allow either CA or US-EPA smog controls equipped used vehicles to be registered in CA, but they still need to be smog checked to their respective CA or US standards. So I stand corrected on that out-of-state part.

You/anyone as a seller must provide a smog certification upon selling any car newer than 1973 (i.e.: `74 MY up - even though only 76 MY & up need to pass biannual inspections). I don't know if that can be applied to out-of-state sellers to have them get the check, since this is a CA state requirement, but my guess is it is up to the CA buyer/resident.

So there is the requirement to get a smog certificate for any car coming into CA to get it registered, although I would presume that one could get a Non-Op if it was currently registered out of state & wouldn't be driven in state. The smog check/certificate is good for the sale certificate for 90 days.

See these links & contact BAR &/or DMV with any questions:

See item #3 here re CA or US emissions eqpt.:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_S..._Equip_Req.html

Smog check reqts. here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/01_ConsumerActivitie...aSmogCheck.html

A chart that makes the above easier: biggrin.gif
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_S..._smog_check.pdf

I hope this sheds some light on your beauty there, & again - good luck! beerchug.gif

I'll post this in the Garage Forum too, since it affects other folks here too.

Merry santa_smiley.gif & Happy beer3.gif
Tom
/////// thank you for your clearing that up with all the readers as such> Again< the most important aspect of your statement ( and reality) is the " grandfathering" of all cars into california smog law as passable as long as they come with there own normal and appropriate smog equipment intact from the state in which it was born. This , in terms of all of the " smog " debacle over the years is the one thing that AQMD, CAR and all the regulating bodies actually got right!!!

jasen29
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 27 2011, 09:32 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

Jeff and Tom< you can faintly see the spot welds on the yellow part of the brackett that holds it to the floor and the silver clip metal that is part of the strap
Thanx Jeff, the ones on my 73 must've been masked all the way down then, because it was raw metal (silver color) all the way down the clips - or were before my own repaints.

jasen29
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 23 2011, 12:45 PM) *

Gorgeous 914. Love the tan interior, it is a different vinyl than most. INteresting that it did not have foglights. yeah< I don't know whjy either

Is that tool kit on the blue hood from this car?

Its obvious this car is original but I have never seen a fuel tank with that gloopy texture coating on it.

yes , that is the tool kit , gloppy goo on the tank is a trip ! and it is 100 % orig, NOTE " look at the cardboard tubes and the various bracketts ,,,,see how they look like the day they came off the factory floor?
dlkawashima

I think you're misremembering Tom, because my '73 is identical .....

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 27 2011, 11:13 AM) *

I think you're misremembering Tom, because my '73 is identical .....

Naw.... I remember cuz I had a fit with the painter cuz he didn't mask it nor anything else he should have in the trunks. dry.gif

But it actually probably makes more sense to have those welds painted for rust protection, whereas the top would only chip if painted when you clip the rubber strap down on it.

Enough sidetracking poor Jasen's ad for a beautiful 914! ...at least we're keeping it on the top of the list with posting. biggrin.gif
icon_bump.gif ... for those looking for a 76 2.0 in Yellow on Cinnamon interior!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

tod914
Good luck with your sale Jason. Beautiful car. Well worth your price.
Carter
Dude, I'm out on the East coast but will be back in Santa Barbara on the second. I'd like to see this 914.looks about right.9178858700
[font=Arial Black]
Carter
QUOTE(Carter @ Dec 27 2011, 06:53 PM) *

Dude, I'm out on the East coast but will be back in Santa Barbara on the second. I'd like to see this 914.looks about right.9178858700
[font=Arial Black]

Hay it's Carter again. Please contact me or let's figure out how I can see this car.No BS. I'm in the market and this looks as clean as I've seen. Give me a jingle.Number above.
Carter

[font=Arial Black]

Hay it's Carter again. Please contact me or let's figure out how I can see this car.No BS. I'm in the market and this looks as clean as I've seen. Give me a jingle.Number above.
jasen29
QUOTE(Carter @ Dec 28 2011, 01:42 PM) *

[font=Arial Black]

Carter < great to talk with you and the fact that you will be bringing the cash and that you are at the end of your search. As ,i had told you< i am not showing it to anybody that is in the " just looking " stage and all must show cash before driving it. This eliminates alot of folks so there is a good chance it will be here when you come
hot_shoe914
Great looking car but I don't think that is stock original exhaust. confused24.gif
mrgreenjeans
An unbelievable car !!!

Also an unbelievable coincidence.....

Both a friend of mine and I own two cars , both 2 litres, and both 74 models. in exactly the same color.
Mine has the same color interior as yours, but the weave of the seating material is different, as in all 74 and 76 cars were.
Tremendous photos of a beautiful car.

By the way, both of our cars reside just a few hundred miles away in the state just north of your cars origin !
jasen29
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Dec 31 2011, 09:27 PM) *

An unbelievable car !!!

Also an unbelievable coincidence.....

Both a friend of mine and I own two cars , both 2 litres, and both 74 models. in exactly the same color.
Mine has the same color interior as yours, but the weave of the seating material is different, as in all 74 and 76 cars were.
Tremendous photos of a beautiful car.

By the way, both of our cars reside just a few hundred miles away in the state just north of your cars origin !

what a trip! i bought this one in Sioux city, SD. on a business trip. . the guy had a warehouse of collectible cars all on jacks with the fluids drianed and covered from OCT. To May Also< answer to the last post ,,,, then exhaust was a dealer put on at the time of purchase and was sold as an "upgrade" to buyers as it is supposedly more free flowing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.