Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tank full of horror!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mercdev
Just recently I opened the gas cap of my 914, which has been in storage for over 10 years now, to discover a nearly full tank (much to my horror).

Is it safe to still use, or is it basically a tank full of paint thinner now? What should I do?
JoeSharpOld
I don't think I would like to run it through my injectors. sad.gif
Joe
Brad Roberts
Pull a line off that goes to the passenger side fuel rail and use the pump to get it out of the car. Drain it into some gas cans.

Dont try and run it.

B
rick 918-S
Ask redshift what happens when you run old gas.
smg914
You have no choice but to drain the fuel out of that tank and replace it with fresh gas. I would imagine a container of Techtron would be a good idea also. I would probably drain the fuel out of the lines that are in the engine compartment also.
McMark
Drain the tank. Put a container of fuel injector cleaner in. Put in 1 gallon of gas. Run the fuel pump (short the fuel pump relay) for awhile to get it good and circulated. Drain that out again. And the fill and run as usual with another container of injector cleaner. I like Redline cleaner.
neo914-6
Hey that's classic gasoline! You probably paid 0.99 / gal back then... laugh.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE(Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Aug 22 2004, 09:16 PM)
Hey that's classic gasoline! You probably paid 0.99 / gal back then... laugh.gif

Wonder if someone on ebay would buy that? idea.gif
Jacco
QUOTE(mercdev @ Aug 22 2004, 08:09 PM)
a nearly full tank (much to my horror).

nearly full tank is actually better right.... for storage that is, prevents the tank from rusting on the inside... correct me if I'm wrong though

oh and you might want to at least put new fuel lines in the engine compartment... cheap insurance

greets
Jacco de Haan
Delft
Bleyseng
Yes, drain the tank and flush all the lines.
Gettings rid of that gas is a problem too. I have an old 78 F250 truck that I put in a gallon at a time to mix in the old gas with newer stuff to burn it off. Otherwise you will have to go to a hazardest waste site to dump it.

Geoff
McMark
Or run it in your lawn mower. biggrin.gif
tod914
After you drain the gas out, pull the tank, inspect it, and clean it. Replace the lines under it. Most likely they are in poor shape too. If you do it all right the 1st time, you'll save yourself alot of headaches later.
McMark
agree.gif
It's no fun to go through and fix a bunch of stuff. Especially if you're excited about firing it for the first time. But you'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you take the tank out and have it boiled out and coated on the inside. A radiator shop should be able to do it for about $50. Also replace the screen that goes inside the tank. While the tank is out unhook the fuel lines from the engine side and blow air through to make sure there's nothing hiding in there. Then put new fuel lines under the tank and pop it back in secure in knowing that you're not going to have any problems with rust clogging up your fuel injection or buggering up your fuel pump.

It'll delay you for a little while, but it's worth it.
Jake Raby
Dead gas SEIZES INTAKE VALVES!!

It turns into a varnish that will glue your intake valve into the guide. Seen it MANY times.

Drain it all, remove the tank, flush and coat and then flush the entire fuel system before yoiu ever touch the key.
McMark
Also, speaking of flushing the system. If it's got the stock D-Jet fuel injection on it you can put injector cleaner and 1 gallon of gas in the tank and jumper the fuel pump so it runs and then turn the key on (not trying to start, just to turn on the power to the system) and open the throttle. As you open the throttle each time it cycles the injectors and should hopefully clean some of the crap out of there.
Rhodes71/914
nearly full tank is actually better right.... for storage that is, prevents the tank from rusting on the inside... correct me if I'm wrong though

This is such a conundrum. Depends on who you talk to. I am a firm believer in fill the tank. Used to be a commercial fisherman and we always filled the tanks at the end of the season. Mostly diesel though.

When you are talking long term, ten years in this case, if it had been left empty I think the tank would still have issues but you wouldn't have any fuel to get rid of.

You could start a nice bonfire with a full tank of gas! aktion035.gif
Andyrew
Big bbq is what comes to my mind for disposing of the gas....

Hmm.. Being a pyro myself I would dump it in a very strong metal trash can (in the middle of nowhere... rocks all around...) and maybe put some fireworks... heck I dont know.. Then justchuck in a flare and watch and enjoy....

Speeking of dead gas.. How long does gas normally last?
balljoint
Just don't use your mouth and a length of garden hose to siphon the tank out. blink.gif
Andy
Maybe stating the obvious but be VERY careful pumping the old gas out!

A friend of mine was in a similar situation a year ago, when the pump started going it sprayed out fuel and as he was collecting it there was a huge amount of gas vapor building up, he was afraid to even cut power for fear of the spark so he tried to air out the shop... Luckily he was in the doorway when it blew or he'd be gone along with that shop.

That was < 20 gallons (the damaged fuel line caused more vaporization than you should see, but still)! I'd post pics if I'd taken them but there wasn't much to see, used to be a 2 bay with an office, then it was an acre of debris.
flyloki
How long does it take for the gas to turn bad?
Mike D.
In California, our gas starts to go bad in about 2 weeks. Read a report recently in the AAA mag that stated the adatives (basically water) start to separate from the gas in as little as two weeks!

And BTW, don't use a shop vac to get the gas out either! - yep, I'm still alive! - biggrin.gif but a little dizzy wacko.gif

-Mike D.
smg914
I was in a Lowes Home Center the other day and I noticed a table with a bunch of items on sale. I saw a few packages with hoses in them that had siphon pump printed on the package. And it was non electric, no batteries and no mechanical mechanism. Just a brass fitting on one end with a marble sized ball bearing inside the brass fitting. I always wanted something to pump fuel out of my fuel cell in the race car after it sat for a month or two. So I purchased the pump. All you do is put the end with the bearing into the cell or tank with the fuel in it and start shaking it up and down and all of a sudden the fuel starts shooting out of the hose like a garden hose. Within about a minute and a half the cell was empty. I emptied the fuel into one of my 5 gallon fuel containers I take with me to the race tracks and then put it in my Jeep. If the fuel was anything older than a year old, I don't think I would even put it in my lawn mower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.