Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compufire ignition install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
edwin
Hi guys
Bought Dad a compufire ignition kit for his kombi (type 4 with 914 dissy) for christmas and have gone to install it tonight but am having issues getting everything sitting right.
I know i am breaking all the rules by no adding photos but will have to charge my phone wich died while doing this.
The compufire kits come as either vac advance or 009 mech advance and i bought the vac advance which my research shwoed was only different due to the small spacer in the kit.
Without the spacer that slides on the dissy shaft the disc hits the sensor itself and with it on the rotor sits too high and the cap jams the shaft.
Am wondering if there is something i am missing that others have found a solution to.
Also the wires sit very close to the advance arm or the disc which seems to be bad design is this a problem?
Thanks for all help in advance and i'll try and get some pics later
Cheers
Edwin
Cupomeat
QUOTE(edwin @ Dec 27 2011, 04:42 AM) *

Hi guys
Bought Dad a compufire ignition kit for his kombi (type 4 with 914 dissy) for christmas and have gone to install it tonight but am having issues getting everything sitting right.
I know i am breaking all the rules by no adding photos but will have to charge my phone wich died while doing this.
The compufire kits come as either vac advance or 009 mech advance and i bought the vac advance which my research shwoed was only different due to the small spacer in the kit.
Without the spacer that slides on the dissy shaft the disc hits the sensor itself and with it on the rotor sits too high and the cap jams the shaft.
Am wondering if there is something i am missing that others have found a solution to.
Also the wires sit very close to the advance arm or the disc which seems to be bad design is this a problem?
Cheers
Edwin

Well, Search lead me to this post from 9+yrs ago. What did you end up doing? My issue is the rotor doesn't go down far enough to engage the keyway. I am thinking of sanding off the rotor bottom.

THoughts?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup sand it or buy a 311 rotor

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 25 2020, 01:39 PM) *

Hi guys
Cheers
Edwin

Well, Search lead me to this post from 9+yrs ago. What did you end up doing? My issue is the rotor doesn't go down far enough to engage the keyway. I am thinking of sanding off the rotor bottom.

THoughts?

Cupomeat
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 25 2020, 04:43 PM) *

Hi guys
Cheers
Edwin

THoughts?

Thanks!!!
porschetub
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 28 2020, 01:46 PM) *

Hi guys
Cheers
Edwin

THoughts?

Thanks!!!

I totally disagree ,DO not sand the base of the rotor,the magnetic pick is simply not pushed on the driveshaft properly,jeez George you should no better ???.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 27 2020, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 28 2020, 01:46 PM) *

Hi guys
Cheers
Edwin

THoughts?

Thanks!!!

I totally disagree ,DO not sand the base of the rotor,the magnetic pick is simply not pushed on the driveshaft properly,jeez George you should no better ???.

I am not sure of that. The kit comes with a spacer to put below the magnetic puck disc and if I mount it without it, it intersects with the pickup module. It cannot go any lower on the Distributor shaft.

michael7810
I've installed dozens of compufires on VW engines and about half of them require sanding the bottom of the rotor to allow the cap to fit properly. A belt sander is what we use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.