Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the boxsters are coming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
fiid
Everyone knows you can't turbo a type IV - but what about a boxster engine??
What do you think would be possible HP wise?

Could it be done without tearing into the motor?

Smog legal?

Am I dreaming?

Fiid.
machina
QUOTE(fiid @ Aug 24 2004, 05:24 PM)
Everyone knows you can't turbo a type IV - but what about a boxster engine??
What do you think would be possible HP wise?

Could it be done without tearing into the motor?

Smog legal?

Am I dreaming?

Fiid.

some company, maybe TPC has a supercharger kit for the boxster but if you check the boxster forums, I think they had alot of trouble with it.

dr
JWest
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 24 2004, 04:15 PM)
The 5 speed box it basically the 944 box with a shift rod that they hook lever arms to and ball joints for the cable ends. The 6 speed box has two small lever arms on the side. The 6speed uses the same shifting mechanism inside the box that the GT3RSR's use in their G50 race version box. Much better setup than 5 speed box.

B

OK, Brad, you convinced me. The 5-speed is junk so just send one my way when you get it - I'll "dispose" of it for you. wink.gif
Andyrew
I think theres a supercharger kit for it to....

Ya... I wouldnt mind having a boxter.... But it aint staying stock for long....
Brad Roberts
The twin turbo kits have been out for some time now. Excellence did a write up last year on a twin turbo 986. Something like 425hp and it wasnt tuned correctly.

B
TimT
I had a student last year that had a Boxter, he had never been on the track before, so I get to drive the first two or three laps and point out flag stations, the line, and markers, turn in cones, the apex etc.. this is also an exercise so that the instructor gets a feel for the students car (old 911's and old 914s make an instrructor nervous LOL)

At the end of the first lap I knew this Boxter had some serious testosterone added.. It had POWER at every throttle position. Lots of POWER ..

I had to back out of the throttle a few times as in my region instructors arent encourages to realy push the students car...This is so we dont ball up someone elses car LOL and we dont set the bar to high for the student.

Anyhoo I found out on pit in, that this car had a supercharged 996 engine!!!

I think Knoxville superchargers suppied the kits..

something like 425 hp gobs of torque allegedly...

BTW Brad I think Tony Nuzzo sold his Boxter racercar to EBS, or they just are holding it now...

Yikes rambled again LOL
Brad Roberts
Tony sold his car several years back to Michael Lansky from Arizona (it was on the cover of Excellence a few years back with AZ flag in the hood) I'm not sure what EBS has to do with it right now.. Todd Zucconie (sp?) in AZ was who maintained the car for Michael. Last time I spoke with Michael his wife was splitting up with him and he was making an effort to sell off some goodies.

One of my next steps is to have a 986/996 engine adapter made for a Superflow dyno.

B
TimT
Todd Zucconie (sp?)

Yea Todd Zuccone.. used to be ZucZ now .Evolution Motorsports...Somehow I thought EBS had their hand in the car also.. I get confused once in awhile LOL.....
RAR
An awful lot of reason in this thread, and I HAVE most the four parts. Maybe I don't need a 3.6 914 after all.
What's that Mr. Stout (I believe it was him) said: "As was the case thirty years ago, the best roadster has two trunks."
airsix
Ok, here it is. I saw this thread coming at least 2 years ago. Brad, I think you're smart to be going down this path. As much as I like the little 914 I think the Boxster is a better car to make a living off of.

I've been in a real dilema for a while. I'm finally making a few bucks and a decent car is finally an option. The dilema? Now that I can afford something a little newer I don't know what to get. But all signs seem to be pointing 'Boxster'.

Lets assume a guy plans to spend $20-25k on his next car. This will be a dual purpose car (street/track) Do you buy a 2.5 boxster for $12-15k and dump $5-8k into it, or do you buy a high-miles 'S' for $25k and leave it 'as-is'? Are there other cars to consider that would provide a similar experience?

Some days I think I'll never make up my mind about what car I want. If I had $30k cash in hand today to go by a car with I honestly don't know what I would choose.

-Ben M.
RAR
ESSS
seanery
ayup, agree.gif
EdwardBlume
IF you have a street / stock modified car... how plausible would it be to smog the 996 supercharged FrankenBoxster?
richardL
Whats the impact on SCCA and PCA classes of the S versus the 2.7. I have heard that a 2.7 is the way to go because of who you end up competing with if you go the 'S' route.

Richard
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 06:07 PM)
Ha ha... I crack myself up...

Just received a phone call from one of my engine suppliers.. check this out:

2003 complete 3.6L 300hp 996 engine with 3300 documented miles (the injection computer stores the mileage) still in the car with brain harness EVERYTHING.. for 6k. I told him SOLD. I'll pick it up before the German Autofest in a few weeks when I'm in SMELLA.

Why do we fool with air cooled engines again ??

B

that'll be a nice pick-up Brad.

Are you sure that the class you want to run in allows for the 996-engine upgrade though?

I remember 2 or 3 yrs ago at Laguna Seca, watching the S-CAR-GO guys work on a 996-powered Boxster. It was having some serious wiring problems.
I thought the Black race car on page 1 was that same car, but the windshield banner says The Racers Group, though they could've certainly chg'd it at any time.
Brad Roberts
The 996 conversion car I'm doing is a street car.. not a race car. And yes.. Chris Murray has moved from one shop to another.

Richard,

Right now in PRC GT3 is up to 3.4L which is a stock early 996 engine in a Boxster or 996.

The plan is to buy 2.5l cars and flip whatever engine is legal for the SCCA DP class into the car.

B
peridotian
I have a January 2001 European Car mag that has an article on a TechArt conversion of a 2.7L BoxsterS to a 3.4L at 310HP. Hmmm, Christmas present for the wife?
GTeener
QUOTE(peridotian @ Aug 25 2004, 12:32 PM)
I have a January 2001 European Car mag that has an article on a TechArt conversion of a 2.7L BoxsterS to a 3.4L at 310HP.

Was this it?

Part 1 : http://www.europeancarweb.com/projectcars/...jbox/index.html
Part 2: http://www.europeancarweb.com/projectcars/...jbox/index.html
Part 3: http://www.europeancarweb.com/projectcars/...jbox/index.html

Interesting thread I found with it:
http://www.flat-6.net/forum/archive/index....php/t-5034.html
peridotian
Gwen,
No the article I have is a black s with red interior that was done by TechArt. That thread is very interesting. I can see my wallet getting lighter....it's floating off into space....
GTeener
QUOTE(peridotian @ Aug 25 2004, 03:54 PM)
Gwen,
No the article I have is a black s with red interior that was done by TechArt. That thread is very interesting. I can see my wallet getting lighter....it's floating off into space....

This one?

Do you speak German? SirAndy can you translate for us?

http://www.sport1.de/coremedia/generator/w...body_20mel.html
Jeroen
Most big German tuners have done a 996 conversion or a turbo conversion on the Boxster
Ruf, Gemballa, TechArt (although the last 2 don't do any of their own engine work) and quite a few others

Hardly anyone is interested here... they all want a GT3 headbang.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
richardL
Someone several of us know is going to test drive the Ruf 3400S and 3600S next week at their factory - I am sure he will have driving 'impressions' and pictures.

Richard
URY914
QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 23 2004, 07:55 PM)
Someone should give a Boxster to URY and we'd find out how light they can be. Hopefully it wouldn't take 25 years for him to finish.

Ha Ha Ha, very funny...I like my cars where you can at least SEE the freaking engine!
redshift
So, it's ok if I get a Boxster, and dump 914s?

It's going to be hard to watch them pull it away, but my teener obbsession is on it's deathbed.

How much trunk space in one of those things again?

Some days, I want to dump $20k on a last hurrah, and turn this car into the most expensive stock 914 to ever run, and other days... I wish I had a rusted out minivan... as long as it isn't from Venice Beach...

M
URY914
Boxsters or Briefs? biggrin.gif
airsix
QUOTE(redshift @ Aug 25 2004, 05:42 PM)
It's going to be hard to watch them pull it away, but my teener obbsession is on it's deathbed.

I'm torn and feeling a little like that too. I'm seriously thinking about a boxter street/track car. I'm seeing $14,000 boxters that are running circles around $14,000 914's despite weighing 900 lb more. I'm thinking "for the same money I could have a car that's newer, faster, handles better, and is more comfortable".

I'm sure this is an age old dilema. I bet 20 years ago a bunch of 356 fans finally gave up and bought second-hand 911's after having the same discussion.

Don't get me wrong. I am and always will be a 914 fan.

-Ben M.
redshift
Briefs!

Yah Ben, I got smacked around this last go, and it's just not half the car it should have been.. parts are too far between, and I don't have the same energy level I had when it all started, and I was half my age.

unsure.gif

...am I going to die soon?

wacko.gif

M
drew365

Yes! Send me your guitars before it's too late. biggrin.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(richardL @ Aug 25 2004, 06:24 PM)
Someone several of us know is going to test drive the Ruf 3400S and 3600S next week at their factory -

Me? wavey.gif

914world.com: No Scott, not you.

Scott: ohmy.gif sad.gif
redshift
QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 25 2004, 11:11 PM)

Yes! Send me your guitars before it's too late. biggrin.gif

I emailed the Gibson stuff to you, the Fender scale length refuses to upload over my mail server... must be mass vs. byte-length.

smile.gif

If anyone out there is interested in a custom made presentation grade acoustic or electric guitar (full on ivory engraved, or inlaid shell, all over abalone purfling.. whatever you want) I am interested in car trades.

Oh yeah, imagine yourself behind 10lbs of monster sound, that burns your eyes like a torch!

How about a carved flamed maple electric doubleneck, with inlaid Porsche crests for fret markers, made from gold wire, coral, and fosil mammoth ivory..

<(I'm fishing)<

Call me!

M
EdwardBlume
Check this out....

2000 PORSCHE BOXSTER *CONV.* - $18750 (hayward / castro valley)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: see below
Date: 2004-08-25, 12:07PM PDT

5-SPEED
AIR COND.
CRUISE CONTROL
CASSETTE CD PLAYER
CONVERTIBLE(OPENS&CLOSES GOOD)
FULL POWER
LEATHER SEATS W/HEATING
ABS
KEYLESS ENTRY
**NAVIGATION SYSTEM**
SILVER EXTERIOR
BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR
BLACK SOFT TOP
RUNS GREAT
53K MILES
EXCELLENT SHAPE.
THIS CAR DOES HAVE A SALVAGE TITLE. PLEASE CALL FOR MORE INFO: (510)376
Brad Roberts
WAY too much for a salvage title.. he is on crack.

B
EdwardBlume
Even with the 2000 2.7 and Nav? Ever heard of negotiating skills?

What's the value?
Brad Roberts
Maybe 13k... salvage title KILLS it.

I *guess* we could try and negotiate..

B
redshift
Why?

Seems like there would be decent $10,000 Boxsters all over Cali... ? For your needs, at least..

What's a roller worth?

M
jtf914
I was at a car show a couple of weeks ago with a Boxster/996 conversion. Subtle hint on the windscreen:
jtf914
Our local PCA rag did a write up on the conversion. Beautiful car:
peridotian
porschegurl,
Yep, that is the one. Although I have the actual print copy of the magazine which also BTW debuts the "Carerra GT Supercar" with a statement about whether or not Porsche decides to produce it, so the article is somewhat dated.
PorscheTom
Sounds like there are more than a few burnt out 914 owners out there...?

Well, when you're all ready to move into some more modern hardware and get rid of your air cooled stuff just give me a yell. lol2.gif
redshift
The club will have to change it's name soon.

smile.gif

M
Brad Roberts
Nah.. I'll always have 914's..and always work on them.. I just get tired of working on them 24/7 at track events.. It would be nice to show up/race/leave without a whole bunch of air cooled headaches. We even have issues at the AutoX events.. I have yet to attend an event where a 914 didnt leak or break something...LOL

The Boxster guy's stand around talking about the options on their cars.. we are thrashing in between rounds. I'm getting older..I would like to relax a little.

B
GTeener
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 26 2004, 03:15 PM)
I have yet to attend an event where a 914 didnt leak or break something...LOL

B

idea.gif I'm definitely not driving hard enough. I haven't ever broken anything AXing biggrin.gif

My car does do its share of leaking though. But we all lose continence when we get older, it's just a fact of life laugh.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(redshift @ Aug 26 2004, 02:35 PM)
The club will have to change it's name soon.

smile.gif

M

986club.com - is already taken and so is
BoxsterClub.com - but it's for sale idea.gif
redshift
www.cheerleader.car.org is not taken!

wink.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.