Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the boxsters are coming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
machina
with your tagline?

are you building some mid engined monster?

dr
Brad Roberts
As soon as SCCA releases the rules for the Dprod class we will have at least 2 cars being built right off the bat. I have one customer coming in for a 996 engine upgrade... they are currently kicking our butt times wise in AutoX..

I see myself racing Boxsters in the very near future.

Used good engines for 2-3K.. I can carry spares at that price...

I even spoke with a flywheel maker this past weekend about doing racing lightweight flywheels for the 996 and Boxster...

It doesnt make any financial sense to run 914's when a engine costs me 5-7k... I can get sponsorship for a late model car that people recognize...

B
fiid
How much does a boxster weigh vs a 914...?

How much weight do you think could be dropped??

Interesting indeed.

Fiid.
Aaron Cox
hmmm..... what about a v8 in a boxster idea.gif happy11.gif
lapuwali
Last time I checked (quite awhile ago), an early Boxster weighs about 1000lbs more than a 914. It would indeed be interesting to know how much can be stripped off the Boxster. Discarding all of the OEM electronics and fitting an aftermarket ECU, non-ABS brakes, and removing all of those actuators would go a long way towards making them more palatable. Too bad that would be race-only in any state that cares about OBD-II for smog purposes.
Brad Roberts
Easily.. 300lbs can be stripped out by a novice. Look back at the Laguna POC thread. I asked Richard Linsdall and Andy to both shoot pics of a Yellow Boxster.. the guy stripped it down a little bit and lost 300lbs.

Baseline for a Boxster right now is 16k for a 2.5 car with high mileage. It costs me 35k+ to build a 2.0 fuel injected 115hp 914 production race car that is still streetable.

The Boxsters are tanks... but so are Carrera Cup cars and GT3RSR's... and the factory races them.

The engine conversion I'm doing... I'll keep the stock running 2.5 engine for development reasons. There is NO reason why we should'nt start working on cams/porting/rods/cranks/pistons... blah blah.. they are not going away.

B
richardL
I was talking to the owner of this car at Laguna yesterday and he says he had reduced the weight by 350lbs during his build of the car. Its a 2.7. More pictures on my website and SirAndy took a bunch as well I think.

Richard
richardL
Inside
richardL
ddd
Brad Roberts
More fuel for thought: STOCK 300hp 996 engine bolts in. BoxsterS 6 speed tranny's can be had for 2500$

B
Brad Roberts
His class probably requires him to run some of the interior pieces we see (or meet a minimum weight)

It looks like "JProduction" is his class.

B
lagunero
Sad news. I thought you guys were working on a Boxster motor kit for the 914.

Boxsterclub.com?
peridotian
Hmmmm, Peridot might be looking to help sponsor something like this.
Brad Roberts
I have one friend who I'm working with doing the Boxster conversion in his 914.. it is going to require MAJOR surgery to get the engine to fit in between the inner control arm ears (like we are going to use Boxster rear suspension.)

It is sad... but why should I DUMP gobs of money into something that requires constant attention with 30 year old technology ? The Carrera Cup guy's and all late model Porsche drivers relax between rounds... we are cleaning up oil messes and dealing with other crap.

B
lagunero
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 01:44 PM)

It is sad... but why should I DUMP gobs of money into something that requires constant attention with 30 year old technology ? The Carrera Cup guy's and all late model Porsche drivers relax between rounds... we are cleaning up oil messes and dealing with other crap.

B

laugh.gif Sad but true..Metallica/Brad
Mueller
wife pretty much gave me the nod of approval to get Boxster when they hit the $10K range.....come on depriciation smile.gif
richardL
agree.gif Thats the way I want to go

R
Andyrew
I gave myself the "nod of aproval" when the boxters hit the 10k range... By then... I should be 25 (hehehe). Im sure dad will get one at that time or so.. and get rid of his 944... I'll pick that one up instead.. hehe
GTeener
Seems like many others are out there racing the Boxsters already, but I guess they aren't officially recognized yet? Is that the deal?

http://www.iq.dynip.com/~racing/index.cgi

http://www.rahul.net/dennisp/boxster/boxst...ds-intake.shtml

Anyone read Japanese?
http://pbrc.dip.jp/~pbrc/03_10_13/index.html
http://pbrc.dip.jp/~pbrc/03_06_15/idlerscl...b_03_06_15.html
http://pbrc.dip.jp/~pbrc/02_9_21/index.html

Then there was this guy's car at the Time Trials last year. Chris Murphy? Murray? I think I was told owned this car. Woudn't the CHP love to have one of these babies?
Hi_Fi_Guy
I love my Boxster. Lease is up March '05... think, I'll buy it out from PCNA and have some fun! smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
Yep,

Chris and I have spoken many times.. My friend Jason just bought the 3.2S engine from that race car for his 914.

Sooner or later all nice 914's will be garage queens just like the 356.. (which isnt a bad thing)

My thoughts are NOT to go wide body like Chris Murray's car but to stay narrow ala Carrera Cup style.

B
jgiroux67
QUOTE(lagunero @ Aug 23 2004, 12:57 PM)
laugh.gif Sad but true..Metallica/Brad

Nice to hear your PIECE OF MIND

And oh how good it is to see a fellow MAIDEN fan

UP THE IRONS
Brad Roberts
Ha ha... I crack myself up...

Just received a phone call from one of my engine suppliers.. check this out:

2003 complete 3.6L 300hp 996 engine with 3300 documented miles (the injection computer stores the mileage) still in the car with brain harness EVERYTHING.. for 6k. I told him SOLD. I'll pick it up before the German Autofest in a few weeks when I'm in SMELLA.

Why do we fool with air cooled engines again ??

B
shoguneagle
Golly, I always thought the Boxster was an updated 914 (also, 550 and 356 included). My neighbor's 356's are not garage "Queens". He owns three of them and travels thoughout the South Western states with the Loma Prieta Club (POC). He even rebuilds everything and drives the "hell out of them". I think these are the only cars he owns that are dependable and he certainly enjoys them. Like he says, he is only seventy-five years young.

Lots of projects going on; these different activities are what make the 914 board interesting and viable.

I like all these cars and seriously believe the Boxster once it is shedded of the extra weight and provided the developments from the 911 programs, it will make history for Porsche factory and private racing teams. To me, it is a natural extension coming from the 550 and 914 cars in the evolution of the mid-engine sports racer.

I happy to see the different 914s are being developed in various ways with leading technologies, original restorations, V-8 and flat sixer conversions, etc. The thought of a Boxster engine, transaxle, and suspension in a 914 is fascinating. If only I had all the money to do all the different things going that members are involved with.

Keep having fun.

Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle
Brad Roberts
Jeroen,

I have spoken to many of the top race engineers that have been involved with 996/986 GrandAm cup cars on 18 inch Yoko slicks... they say: BullSH_T. The very first few engines had some issues but it wasnt G force induced oil starvation. The general consensus was: it was a internet folklore that got started and continues to run wild to this day.

B
rick 918-S
QUOTE(acox914 @ Aug 23 2004, 12:09 PM)
hmmm..... what about a v8 in a boxster idea.gif happy11.gif

idea.gif I can see it now. supercharged, all alluminum all Porsche V8..... cool_shades.gif
drew365
I had read that many of the '99 Boxster engines had to be replaced prior to 30k miles. The factory claims it was a misaligned machine that inserted the piston liners and went unnoticed for 3 months which is probably alot of engines. So if you stay away from early '99 engines you should be okay. Someone should give a Boxster to URY and we'd find out how light they can be. Hopefully it wouldn't take 25 years for him to finish.
Brad Roberts
I was looking for a guinea pig to do a V8 conversion many months ago. I figured it would run 8-10k to do one.. no one took the bate.

Even Excellence is interested in a Cayenne V8 converted Boxster...

B
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 07:56 PM)

B

idea.gif
Brad Roberts
Yep.. "Drew" nailed it. Most of them have been replaced. I just wish somebody would show me some rules so I can nail down the race car build for the SCCA DP class.

I cant wait to tear into my first Boxster engine for research purposes... it will feel like my lawnmower 7th grade class project engine aktion035.gif

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 23 2004, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 07:56 PM)

B

idea.gif

we'd have to call it the 'predator' ! aliens taken! laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Look at the big brain on Aaron.. happy11.gif

Predator it is.. when I get a chance..

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 09:00 PM)
Look at the big brain on Aaron.. happy11.gif

Predator it is.. when I get a chance..

B

har har.... laugh.gif

glad to help somehow rolleyes.gif
rick 918-S
I just did a search on car-part.com. No engines listed. Preditor is cooool!
Brad Roberts
Copart.com is THE online auction house for wrecked cars..

I had to wait until a 996 arrived at my engine suppliers place in LA.

I'll ask if they have seen any Cayennes yet. It would not surprise me ONE bit if the bellhousing's are the same as the 6 cyl engines considering the amount of Audi influence between the companies.

I havent seen a Cayenne V8 out of a Cayenne yet.

B
lagunero
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 08:56 PM)
I was looking for a guinea pig to do a V8 conversion many months ago. I figured it would run 8-10k to do one.. no one took the bate.

It's never too late.. is it? What did you have in mind, investors or donors?
Brad Roberts
I was just looking for someone who could be without their Boxster for several months while I sorted everything out. I was willing to cut the labor in half just to have the first one done and to own the rights to manufacture anything that was developed along the way. Just using numbers based on 914V8 conversions I have done.. 8-10K was more than reasonable.

B
nine14cats
B,

Just make sure you budget in time for one last air cooled project...mine!

I'm still going hunting with old technology! rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif

Bill P.

BTW...I'm posting from Taiwan again....anyone got a job?

I'm serious...I've had it...I'm gone so much now...life just is a grind.... sad.gif

I'm depressed...... blink.gif
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 03:44 PM)
I even spoke with a flywheel maker this past weekend about doing racing lightweight flywheels for the 996 and Boxster...B

Brad,

Saw this FW on e-bay, is it any good for your application?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7917974918&rd=1

dr
JWest
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Aug 24 2004, 06:57 AM)
Brad,

Saw this FW on e-bay, is it any good for your application?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7917974918&rd=1

dr

And look who's selling it - I bet Brad will jump right on that one.

Brad, when you go to throw away a Boxster 5-speed trans to swap for a 6-speed - let me know...
machina
QUOTE(James Adams @ Aug 24 2004, 08:12 AM)
And look who's selling it - I bet Brad will jump right on that one.

sorry, I'm not in the loop, who is selling it?

dr
rhodyguy
auto atlanta <_< . treadway moves lots of stuff for them. maybe to keep those who have had a bad experience from running away. anybody notice the red boxster on ebay, in nj, with no reserve?

kevin
seanery
those autoatlanta boys go through ebay name changes like a frat boy goes through beer.
Brad Roberts
Billet flywheels are easy.. we want to do a steel 7lb 5.5 or 7 multi disc with organic for the street (much like the Carrera GT)

James.. looking at the gearing in the stock 5 speed 2.5 tranny... it *should* work very nicely with the 300hp engine in front of it.

PowerHouse already has gears for the Boxster boxes....

Oh AASCo is Dennis Aase's business... from Aase Brothers fame...

B
GTeener
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Aug 24 2004, 01:59 AM)
B,

Just make sure you budget in time for one last air cooled project...mine!

I'm still going hunting with old technology! rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif

Bill P.

BTW...I'm posting from Taiwan again....anyone got a job?

I'm serious...I've had it...I'm gone so much now...life just is a grind.... sad.gif

I'm depressed...... blink.gif

Hang in there Bill.
Sorry life is a drag for ya right now -- Sucky job :finger2: -- Broken 914 sad.gif

You still got us, though, where ever you can find a computer on the Internet type.gif

Cheers,
beerchug.gif
JWest
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 24 2004, 11:36 AM)
James.. looking at the gearing in the stock 5 speed 2.5 tranny... it *should* work very nicely with the 300hp engine in front of it.

Yes, I know. wink.gif

Actually the gearing is nearly the same as the 6 speed through 4th gear. I thought you might do a conversion for someone that HAD to have the 6-speed for the coolness factor and I'm looking for leftovers.
Hawktel
Humm how much cabin room is in a boxster? More than a 914?

If B can get a plant for 6 grand, i think a 10 grand car with a wrecked engine can't be to hard to find, another 4 grand for the install?

So total a 20 grand car thats going to spank damned near anyone who comes up.

Hummm
Brad Roberts
In my stash here at HPH I have a BoxsterS 6 speed box that I *might* sell to my 3.6 conversion customer. I may or may not want to keep his 5 speed box. If you have some thoughts on product development I may offer it up for research. I actually dont like the way the 5 speed boxes do the cable shift setup... the 6 speed is a true cable shift box.

Let me know what you are thinking. It is time to start developing our future.

B
JWest
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 24 2004, 03:32 PM)
In my stash here at HPH I have a BoxsterS 6 speed box that I *might* sell to my 3.6 conversion customer. I may or may not want to keep his 5 speed box. If you have some thoughts on product development I may offer it up for research. I actually dont like the way the 5 speed boxes do the cable shift setup... the 6 speed is a true cable shift box.

Let me know what you are thinking. It is time to start developing our future.

B

I've never heard any differences in the way the two boxes shift as installed in the Boxsters - I have seen how they differ in the cable linkage at the trans.

I'm actually just thinking about a personal project - no product stuff yet. I need to do some stuff for myself for while so I don't get to hating cars...

The 5-speed is good enough for my needs.
Brad Roberts
The 5 speed box it basically the 944 box with a shift rod that they hook lever arms to and ball joints for the cable ends. The 6 speed box has two small lever arms on the side. The 6speed uses the same shifting mechanism inside the box that the GT3RSR's use in their G50 race version box. Much better setup than 5 speed box.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.