Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikea100
While replacing my fuel lines I noticed that they're metal from shifter lever going forward and plastic going back.
Here're my steps.
First, I removed the fuel tank and noticed that fittings on the outside firewall are metal (Picture 1). Then I removed front tunnell access plate and the lines were metal (Picure 2). I thought that it was nice of PO to have them replaced. But when I removed rear tunnell access plate the lines were plastic. I wanted to trace the entire line and removed shifter lever and saw a some kind of connector that hooks up metal line to plastic (Picure 3). Is this stock setup? WTF.gif
I purchased a comlete set from Tangerine and those lines will replace everything firewall to firewall. However, I noticed that fittings (Picture 4) are much smaller than the ones that are there now (Compare Pic 1 to Pic 4). Should I be concerned sbout that?

Happy New Year! beerchug.gif
Mike
bigkensteele
Too bad you removed the shifter. Re-adjusting will probably be more time consuming than replacing the lines.

Spray a little wd-40 on the metal lines up front and push them through the rubber grommet into the tunnel. Go to the back of the car and yank them out. You will find that the metal tubing is only about 2 feet long. The other ends are barbed and the plastic line is just shoved onto them - there are no clamps or connectors. Not sure what we are looking at in picture 3, but I think it might be the evap line from the charcoal cannister on the right, and maybe the speedo cable on the left. I don't think those are your fuel lines.

for installation, watch this excellent video that Rotary'14 made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxFRQTWLetw
Vysoc
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 28 2011, 04:30 PM) *

Too bad you removed the shifter. Re-adjusting will probably be more time consuming than replacing the lines.

Spray a little wd-40 on the metal lines up front and push them through the rubber grommet into the tunnel. Go to the back of the car and yank them out. You will find that the metal tubing is only about 2 feet long. The other ends are barbed and the plastic line is just shoved onto them - there are no clamps or connectors. Not sure what we are looking at in picture 3, but I think it might be the evap line from the charcoal cannister on the right, and maybe the speedo cable on the left. I don't think those are your fuel lines.

for installation, watch this excellent video that Rotary'14 made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxFRQTWLetw

Nice Video, not that hard. Doable with one person, very easy with two.

Vysoc flag.gif
mikea100
Thank you guys beerchug.gif . I got sidetracked and installed front sway bar instead. One of those "while I'm at it" things biggrin.gif . I also want to treat inside the tunnel, at least as much as I can reach.
pete000
I am just a couple steps ahead of you. I thought the same thing when I saw the stock metal lines under the tank. Just the way Porsche did it. The plastic was high tech back then and cheap.

I left the shifter in doing the swap, but now I see in your pictures the lines are held down with tabs, Might have to double check mine make sure I have the lines going through there. idea.gif

I also did the front sway bar while I had the tank out.

RiqueMar
Sorry if this is hijacking, but has anyone done this with AN fittings already fitted to the hoses? I have the SS lines, and am trying to wrap my head around how to install them after I put the fittings on.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 5 2012, 11:48 AM) *

Sorry if this is hijacking, but has anyone done this with AN fittings already fitted to the hoses? I have the SS lines, and am trying to wrap my head around how to install them after I put the fittings on.

We weld -6 fittings on stainless lines for some customers. Installation requires the firewall thru hole size to be increased. We have an oversized grommet for this application.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.