Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original OEM 6 engine install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I temporarily installed the engine in my car yesterday!. I am using a factory oem front mount. Everything lined up great, the bolt went in up through the engine bracket and rubber mount nicely. It was difficult to get the bolt threaded into the nut plate on top. The plate kept moving. The way everything was situated (on my low rise lift) I couldn't get a hand on top to hold it. Is there a trick to doing this? I'm thinking maybe of using some glue/seam sealer to hold it in place.
GeorgeRud
Tie wrap around the mount?
sixnotfour
Does your bolt have the tapered end ?
Krieger
I like the tie wrap idea. I have to check next time I take the engine out if the boltis tapered.
iamchappy
Are you sure you had it positioned right, it sort of sits in a cradle when it's aligned.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 30 2011, 02:10 PM) *

I like the tie wrap idea. I have to check next time I take the engine out if the boltis tapered.

Is the transaxle raised all the way to its' mounts ? Don't even try until it is. Have a drift pin ? use that first to align the front mount
Use a 19mm short socket on a 10 " extension so that your hands are free of any interference. The two tangs on the nut plate allow enough play so that the bolt starts with no problem'
Also I've found it much easier to install a 6 engine without the two side tins installed.
Install them afterward, it 's a bit tight but very do-able.

'-
Krieger
I did have it raised to the one of the trans mounts and almost at the other. The front was making contact. I had the front bolt in, it just wasn't threading.
rgalla do you remember if your bolt tapered? Thanks guys maybe it was just off a little?
carr914
I remember when I was putting Steve Gagliones' motor back in his GT. We were doing on his Garage Floor with the car jacked up. Of course the car was an angle to the floor which caused things not to line up. I got the Tranny Mount Bolts in and Steve was putting the Engine Bolt in. He was turning it for ever. I looked at it and the bolt wasn't far enough up. I grabbed a hammer and he freaked (Funny if you know Steve and his car). I just tapped the end of the bolt a few times to move it up a little, then threaded it in like butter.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 31 2011, 04:34 AM) *

I remember when I was putting Steve Gagliones' motor back in his GT. We were doing on his Garage Floor with the car jacked up. Of course the car was an angle to the floor which caused things not to line up. I got the Tranny Mount Bolts in and Steve was putting the Engine Bolt in. He was turning it for ever. I looked at it and the bolt wasn't far enough up. I grabbed a hammer and he freaked (Funny if you know Steve and his car). I just tapped the end of the bolt a few times to move it up a little, then threaded it in like butter.

Hey Tom, 4:31 AM Wow !
I would gladly look at my front bolts today to see if they are tapered but they are holding engines up
The angle of the car and engine leads to difficulty.
If you are trying to slide the engine forward onto correctly installed (with the bolts hanging out of the rear mounts ) trans bolts that makes it tough.
I've turned the bolts over to simplify installation.
When you have the eng/trans well balanced, lift it into position and apply some force to hold it against the mounts. Just enough so that you can still move it with a drift pin, big hefty punch or even a big phillips screwdriver.
With a 914 it can be a bit tight and un-nerving to have to go under a un-attached
engine and start pushing and pulling.
Get the two rears started first. Not tight.
Then get a view up into the front mount and align the parts.
Toms idea to tap the front bolt up through the mount is good.
Then, as you turn you should feel it thread.
Krieger
I must have been so dang close, plus I was a virgin so it was awkward, but I got it in. biggrin.gif Next time It will be like butter.
Chris Pincetich
Great way to end the year! beerchug.gif
ConeDodger

I don't need to know Steve to know that if it was my car, I would remove all the hammers from the garage. blink.gif That'll probably be a quarter million dollar car someday... History, rarity and all... biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 31 2011, 03:48 PM) *

I don't need to know Steve to know that if it was my car, I would remove all the hammers from the garage. blink.gif That'll probably be a quarter million dollar car someday... History, rarity and all... biggrin.gif

Yeah but it was funny. Not as funny as the The Shredded Chicken that his wife left us. Steve turned on the Stove and put it on a burner while we were working. It was black in the Pan when we got finished. Steve wanted to throw the Pan away, but he knew Janie would kill him for that too. She called me the next day and apologized for Steve not buying a Pizza or something.
Krieger
The front bolt is the original tapered one! I guess I was not going in straight. Next time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.