Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mated Transmission and Engine now have dumb question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I mated the transmission to the engine and installed the starter and wiring today. For giggles I tried to pull on the clutch release arm but could not get it to budge after contacting the pressure plate.

Dumb question, is there anything to do but push the transmission and engine together and tighten up the 4 or 5 nuts/bolts? I'm wondering about that clutch, should I be able to depress those springs on that pressure plate by hand? The whole thing kinda when together alot easier than I imagined, did I miss something?

Kev

Click to view attachment
rohar
I'm guessing you'd have a hell of a time pulling that thing by hand unless you had a lot more grip exercise than most of us. The leverage created by the clutch pedal is MUCH more than you'll be able to generate this way.

Krieger
I think you need to factor in that your clutch is activated by the strongest muscle group in your body with the added mechanical advantage of that clutch pedal/ lever being around 12".
BKLA
agree.gif

on a separate note... you're gunna love that rennshift linkage!!!! biggrin.gif
toolguy
Damn. . looks like we are at the same point on our cars. . I'm stuffing mine tomorrow, ,
Dr Evil
If you can not move the arm back and forth at all, that is concerning. There should be some play before the throwout bearing hits the pressure plate fingers. If no play, then you have a bearing hitting the plate too soon and it will not completely release. A common cause of this is the pivot ball being spaced too far. I would part it and take a look and maybe some pics.
brp986s
Time to retroactively ask Santa fror a Bendpak scissor lift. Not liking the chunks-o-wood solution.
kconway
QUOTE(Dr Trichomoniasis @ Dec 30 2011, 06:59 PM) *

If you can not move the arm back and forth at all, that is concerning. There should be some play before the throwout bearing hits the pressure plate fingers. If no play, then you have a bearing hitting the plate too soon and it will not completely release. A common cause of this is the pivot ball being spaced too far. I would part it and take a look and maybe some pics.

The arm has a few inches of throw before it contacts the clutch.

Kev
Dr Evil
Perfect! thumb3d.gif

Carry on biggrin.gif
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 30 2011, 06:12 PM) *

Damn. . looks like we are at the same point on our cars. . I'm stuffing mine tomorrow, ,

Toolguy,

that motor looks 'clean' too.. one question for you, where did you secure those venturies on the webbers?
JawjaPorsche
Wow! That really looks awesome! I bet your Teener is like a rocket ship with that behind your seat!

QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 30 2011, 09:12 PM) *

kconway

How did it go? Did you get yours in yesterday? I've been scratching my head wondering how to get mine off that dolly and on to what to lift it in to the car.
Steve
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 1 2012, 08:10 AM) *

How did it go? Did you get yours in yesterday? I've been scratching my head wondering how to get mine off that dolly and on to what to lift it in to the car.

PIA.. I did it that way in the past. I used two floor jacks one on each side and lowered the car onto the motor and trans. I also used jack stands as a backup and then bolted everything up and raised the car back up with the two floor jacks.
I now have a scissor lift and a lift table. Much easier!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.