Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pressure in gas tank- went to fill up- just put tank back in,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I pulled the tank to get at fresh air blower., put it all bak together, so I ran down to the station to fill up. Had about a gallon and a half in the tank. Went to take the gas cap off, and there was a lot of suction on there. I only drove about10 miles to the station. And it's noit hot out. This is a 75 2.0 with d-jet. The only thing I can think of is that when I put the tank back in the vapor line got pinched .. is it possible this caused the negative pressure that fast. ? And if so can I just leave it disconnect the expansion tank until the tank level is low enough to lift ip to move the vapor line. ?

Phil
Mike Bellis
I crushed a tank once (not in a 914). The vent/vapor line was plugged. It does not take long for it to happen.
76-914
pull the cover from below (4 bolts) and you might be able to access any pinched lines and correct.
Bob L.
Don't mean to hijack, just seems relevant...

Mine was converted to a carb (yes, singular) by PO. He plugged the return fuel line. So, basically there is just the fuel line out.
Is this going to be a problem?
Is my tank going to crush?!?!
BMITCHELL
It still should be vented. Vent line on expansion tank going to the filler neck.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 31 2011, 05:37 PM) *

Mine was converted to a carb (yes, singular) by PO. He plugged the return fuel line. So, basically there is just the fuel line out.

My car has carbs and a blocked off return line. I think what they're talking about here is the "vent" line. It's a small line coming off the fuel cap I believe.
Bob L.
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 31 2011, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 31 2011, 05:37 PM) *

My car has carbs and a blocked off return line. I think what they're talking about here is the "vent" line. It's a small line coming off the fuel cap I believe.

Then I'm good.

This site is like reading a medical text book... every time I read about someones problem, I start to worry I have it too.

Thanks, now I can gint2.gif

P.S. Happy New Year!
Racing916
I race my 914 with a 6 cylinder and the return capped off. If it is vented it should not have pressure built up. Make sure your vent line in not plugged.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Dec 31 2011, 06:47 PM) *

I race my 914 with a 6 cylinder and the return capped off. If it is vented it should not have pressure built up. Make sure your vent line in not plugged.

Many years ago I had a factory slant nose Turbo in my shop with an inop. fuel level gauge.
You guessed it, blocked vent caused pump ( pumps ! ..Turbo ) to suck that tank down so that it looked like it had been used to wrap your leftover sandwich.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 1 2012, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Racing916 @ Dec 31 2011, 06:47 PM) *

Many years ago I had a factory slant nose Turbo in my shop with an inop. fuel level gauge.
You guessed it, blocked vent caused pump ( pumps ! ..Turbo ) to suck that tank down so that it looked like it had been used to wrap your leftover sandwich.

Is it possible that my charcoal filter is clogged or blocked? The plastic line runs from the relief tank back to the charcoal filter. I need a diagram of what and how the hook ups go on the filter too.
May be the charcoal filter needs to be replaced?

Just another thought
Mike Bellis
Never seen a charcol filter clogged but anything is possible.

Check out Jeff Bowlsby's site... http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.