Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One last question tonight....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
The wiring on this car is a mess....very few electrical items are working and I'm beginning to see why.

While putting together my plan of attack to pull the transmission tomorrow (if it's not too cold), I noticed this wire (clearly a hot wire) just hanging in space. Since the starter works fine, any ideas on where this goes? I'm looking at the wring diagram but I don't have enough 914 experience to figure it out yet.

IPB Image

IPB Image
jflash914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 1 2012, 03:00 PM) *

The wiring on this car is a mess....very few electrical items are working and I'm beginning to see why.

While putting together my plan of attack to pull the transmission tomorrow (if it's not too cold), I noticed this wire (clearly a hot wire) just hanging in space. Since the starter works fine, any ideas on where this goes? I'm looking at the wring diagram but I don't have enough 914 experience to figure it out yet.

It plugs on to the starter solenoid.
914itis

I think it is for the reverse light switch on the tranni.
TheCabinetmaker
Starter. Reverse switch has two wries with bullet connectors.
billh1963
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 1 2012, 07:16 PM) *

Starter. Reverse switch has two wries with bullet connectors.

Okay...two out of three say starter. The starter works fine; so, what would it be used for?

Thanks,
Bill
Tom
How about another pic of the wires that go to the starter. Almost looks like the size to go to the starter hot post for the alternator, although that is the wrong terminal lug for that purpose. Could be a previous owner modification.
Tom
billh1963
Here you go....

IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
Starter wiring is correct. Possibly a po added wire. Is it hot?
TheCabinetmaker
Can you tell where it goes?
904svo
Is that the RED wire from the starter +battery terminal to the B+ lead to the alternator?
SirAndy
What is that rod going across your transmission???
confused24.gif

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 1 2012, 03:00 PM) *

IPB Image

dlee6204

Exactly what I was thinking... aftermarket swaybar?
billh1963
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 1 2012, 08:55 PM) *

It is a sway bar.
SirAndy
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 1 2012, 06:02 PM) *
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jan 1 2012, 08:55 PM) *

It is a sway bar.

Can you post some pics of that setup? I'd like to see it ...
idea.gif
Tom
Does this car have a solenoid operated trunk release?
Starter wiring looks correct and you do have the large alternator wire hooked up/ Has to be something added by a previous owner.
Tom
billh1963
The battery is disconnected so I can't tell if it's hot. I'll check tomorrow.

When the car starts the alternator light comes on and stays on. However, When I put a DMM on the battery it appears to be charging (shows around 13.5V). Maybe it is alternator related.
yellowporky
could the wire be from a starter booster relay and the relay was removed? I had one on an old car i had that had problems with hot starts.
shoguneagle
I think 904SOV may have where the wire goes, but I think it is time to get a good volt/ohm meter and start tracing some of these suggestions to verify them to the wiring schematic. This is the start off learning the wiring requirements.

When you are in an area such as the engine, ask yourself what can a specific wire go to and where would it be used. The wire is a B+ wire and looks like it is the right size required in the Alternator. Anyway, it looks like it can take a fairly large load.

Take your time and enjoy learning the wiring problems. Give yourself time and you will surprise even yourself; double checking is always a must when dealing with electric problems. Try to understand the sub-systems an how the are wired.
yellowporky
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

If the car in general has electrical issues this link might help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.