Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dyno help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
My SIX *should* be ready for a dyno session after the weekend.

Where in the North Bay should I go?
S-CAR-GO? RPM Automotive?
Who will set me up?

KT
TimT
before you book time at a dyno... run your car for a bit..make sure its all up to snuff before your on your dime... fixing things while your paying dyno time is silly...
TimT
heheh oh we have a dyno... its just 3000 miles away LOL
Trekkor
The engine is on the bench, so running it in the car is out until later this winter.

I'll run it and sync the rebuilt carbs at home.

I want to know HP. Just for me.
I may bring my wrench and some jets just for fun. confused24.gif

Mainly personal entertainment lol2.gif

KT
vortrex
I like the s-car-go guys, some don't. I was there at the shop when they were building the dyno room, looked nice. what do I know though!
Trekkor
BTW, This is an engine dyno. Not a chassis dyno.
Thanks.

KT
TimT
Typically your bring you car/engine and the dyno peeps do initial set up. Then they do a pull or two to make sure they are collecting the data accurately.. then they wait... you can make as many changes as you want we within the period of time you bought ( usually)
McMark
Let me know when you're going. I'm there!
Brad Roberts
Yep. Use Robbie at S-Car-Go.. bring your wallet. Typicaly dyno time will run you 800$. It takes several hours to set the engine up on the dyno.

It might make 180hp. Venturi size is too small for anything over that.

B
Trekkor
Thanks, Brad.

I wonder if I should just bring a couple bigger jet combos and maybe a set of bigger chokes. See what happens. I only want to spend an hour or two.

Whose got "loaner jets" for testing?

Mainly for my "jollies". cool_shades.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
Um.. it will take 3-4 hours of setup time that you have to pay for...THEN a baseline pull and then you can adjust.

No matter what I do... it runs me no less than 800$ at Jerry Woods place to dyno fresh engines. I might get 4-5 pulls in that time frame.

B
Trekkor
Are we talking 4 hours at $200 per hour?

What exactly is happening in all this time?

I want an intitial pull or two and maybe one or two more after my tweaky.

KT
Brad Roberts
It will take several hours to install the engine on the dyno and hook up all the sensors and such. It is a major task to undertake. More difficult than installing it into a car.

It wont be 200$ an hour.. but it will be close to 100$ if it isnt 100$ an hour. Oil, gas, blah blah.. it adds up.

B
Trekkor
And the "loaner jets"? chatsmiley.gif

KT
KenH
If you are running WEBERS there is only one place to go - Jerry Woods.

Ken
Brad Roberts
I have nothing as far as jets go.. I hate carbs...

B
Trekkor
So it's not like just putting it on and engine stand, huh?

Maybe I'll just put several numbers in my club hat and the number I pull out will be my HP!

Dunce Cap Dyno w00t.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
Wait until you get it into the car... and then dyno it on the chassis dyno. Much cheaper...

B
Trekkor
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 24 2004, 11:00 PM)
Wait until you get it into the car... and then dyno it on the chassis dyno. Much cheaper...

Likely, I will.

$800 buys me hundreds and hundreds of bratwursts...With kraut. drooley.gif

KT
bondo
You could always get a g-tech and call it close enough... I'm not sure what the consensus is on the accuracy of these things, but it's cheaper and you get all the tuning time you want.
KenH
If you want optimum performance from your motor take it to Jerry Woods. He has all the stuff that is needed to to set up the Carbs. You don't just "tweek" Webers. You can spend a lot of time trying to get them right. A couple of pulls on a chassis dyno is not enough, unless you can find somebody that understands Webers and has replacment jets on hand. Jerry has been doing this for 30 years and has all the parts needed.

Expensive - yes, but you get what you pay for.

Ken
nocones
I would just get the motor installed and running then put it on a chassis dyno.
After all, the only HP# that matters is the one at the wheels.
Still not a cheap job if you are paying a pro to tune it on the dyno.

Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.