Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6L conversion - relay board substitute question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharmon
In the middle of my 3.6L conversion and had a question. For those of you who removed the stock relay board, what relays did you end up keeping in the car and where did you mount them?

I thought Hella made a nice, neat relay board mounting assembly, but it looks like they only make it for the mini relays. I want my set-up to look neat and professional, so don't want to just slap something together.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(mharmon @ Jan 4 2012, 10:05 AM) *
In the middle of my 3.6L conversion and had a question. For those of you who removed the stock relay board, what relays did you end up keeping in the car and where did you mount them?

I used the PMS adapter harness which eliminates the stock relay board. The DME comes with it's own relays, so there was no need to add any additional relays.

The wiring was pretty straight forward ...
popcorn[1].gif
jim912928
I did the same thing Andy did with my 3.2l. PMS adapter harness, relay already part of the DME, took out the 914-4 relay board entirely. Nothing else needed.
mharmon
Thanks for the responses guys. I get that the fuel pump relay gets covered by the DME, but I guess you don't use the heater fan or the rear window defroster?

Steve
Not too many cars with rear defrosters and you no longer need the heater fan with a six conversion. I dumped the relay board years ago and just made a harness by reading the 914 and 911 Haynes manuals. The dme sits behind the drivers seat and dme relay sits behind the passenger seat. I installed longer back pad screws to hold them in place.
shoguneagle
Heater fan relay has to wired in separately. I eliminated the circuit board and changed the wiring on the 14 Pin Connector. Additionally wired in the heater fan relay, front fans for the front oil cooler, etc.

3.2 Sixer conversion.

Steve Hurt
jim912928
Ah....sorry, missed the heater fan relay. If you don't have heat no need. Being in the midwest here I have heat and did use the stock electric blower/booster for heat. I added a Porsche style relay and socket (got a used one that you'd find pressed into the fuse panel in the passenger compartment) and mounted it next to the diagnostic plug (same size/pattern) in the engine compartment. Looks stock.
Series9
On all the /6 conversions I do, I remove the relay board, remove the 14-pin female connector on the car side, replace it with a 14-pin male connector with the pins in the proper locations for the engine I'm installing and simply plug the engine into the car.
kfish914
where would a home wanna be get hold of that 14 pin plug?
SirAndy
QUOTE(kfish914 @ Jan 5 2012, 10:32 AM) *

Junk yard. There's a thread here somewhere listing all the other models of cars that use the same type of connectors.

popcorn[1].gif
kfish914
Thanks, I wish I didn't suck at searchs
I will give it a shot biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(kfish914 @ Jan 5 2012, 12:32 PM) *

Porsche sells kits with the pins and the plug assembly brand new.

I bought mine through Zims.

Van914
I have on I bought from Perry Keil. I sold the car before I used it. For Sale $25 plus shipping.
Thanks
Van914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.