Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog Light Bracket Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I've read the past threads but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm trying to remove my fogs to put on the Pilot Lites from Camp914.
How do I remove this bracket? I've tried my 8mm allen ball head and the straight end, neither fits. Is there a trick to this?
Joseph Mills
From your photo it looks like that hex is somewhat "rounded". Could just be the photo though.
confused24.gif
tdgray
Nope I am having the same problem. I just thought maybe I was missing a wrench in my set (damn kids..er me not putting tools away).

What gives, is this a special size? confused24.gif
morph
yep its a special size
its one of those wierd mid sizes
its a .5 size so its in between two of the sizes in a standard metric sets you can buy. mad.gif
i still havent found the correct tool for it yet
Joe Bob
I've had to drill them out....
double-a
i just did this two days ago. take my advice: remove the valance first! it's a pain, but you can get to that bolt much, much easier that way.

for getting that bolt off, i used a 9/32nd" bit on my drill, fits perfectly.

~a
RON S.
Yea,
It is a bastard size.
I swore at it for half an hour before I took and old Allen wrench and ground it down with a disc grinder to make it fit.
Dumb a**'d engineering.

Ron
seanery
OK, I got it off.
This is the procedure I recommend:

1. Remove VALENCE! 6 screws, well worth the effort-you can get to the bolt from the bottom very easily
2. Get a Torx T-45. It fits the hole perfectly! -see picture
3. Replace existing bolts with M10 20mm 1.5 pitch bolts-mine are grade 12.2 (overkill) and I painted them so they won't rust-they use the common 8mm allen to tighten
4. Reuse the wavey washer from the original
5. Throw the old bolts into your misc bolts drawer
6. If you're a member of your local CSB chapter you can probably return the T-45
morph
idea.gif good idea t 45 torx
Dman
I would keep it. I think everyone needs a "dado de punta TORX"! wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.