Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tired of leaking oil pump type IV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914dave
It seems as thought every new oil pump I put on a type IV motor wants to leak. I've had to flat grind three previous cover plates to get them to stop leaking. We just finished the rebuild on a friends motor (" Dion "on World) and the @#*& thing is leaking. I think the plates are too thin and deform between the bolts and leak. The onion skin gasket isn't enough to make up for the .0015"-0030" warp in the plate. Which is the amount of bow I've found in all three cover plates. It's really meant to give the correct end play for the pump gears. So I decided to make a thicker plate with counterbored recesses for the nuts. It's been flat ground and shold be nice and dry, the rest of the motor is! We're rebuilding the gearbox this winter, so it won't be back in the car for a couple of months. Here's the pic of the new one vs. the stock one.
Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
That is very nice. smile.gif Does it clear the fan mount protrusion?
URY914
Sweet!

Group buy!!!
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 6 2012, 06:28 PM) *

Sweet!

Group buy!!!

Yes Group Buy..
bobhasissues
That is a nice cover, I agree please make them available for sale.
I have had the same problem with my Melling cover. This spring, if I can't buy one of your covers, I am going to use a modified type 1 cover just like Jake used to supply when he was selling Shadek pumps. The outside edges are rolled up to prevent the cover from twist/warp. Proven problem solver for Jake.
euro911
agree.gif ... Very Nice
Jake Raby
Rigidity is a key.. The Melling cast iron cover sucks. The unit pictured here looks substantial and should do the trick.

I'd be interested in testing them and might buy some.
914dave
Hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I can make these available at this time. I just did it for a friend. I have access to a shop for personal use not profit. Not that I wouldn't want to help everyone fix this particular problem. It was made form a piece of 3/8" flat stock laying around the shop. Maybe in the future this could happen.
Dave
dlestep
The only thing that I would add:
Click to view attachment
02loftsmoor
would you make and sell me one??

It seems as thought every new oil pump I put on a type IV motor wants to leak. I've had to flat grind three previous cover plates to get them to stop leaking. We just finished the rebuild on a friends motor (" Dion "on World) and the @#*& thing is leaking. I think the plates are too thin and deform between the bolts and leak. The onion skin gasket isn't enough to make up for the .0015"-0030" warp in the plate. Which is the amount of bow I've found in all three cover plates. It's really meant to give the correct end play for the pump gears. So I decided to make a thicker plate with counterbored recesses for the nuts. It's been flat ground and shold be nice and dry, the rest of the motor is! We're rebuilding the gearbox this winter, so it won't be back in the car for a couple of months. Here's the pic of the new one vs. the stock one.
Click to view attachment
[/quote]
Valy
I have this 7mm billed aluminum cover.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...ode=C13-31-2943
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.