Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoal canister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I decided to spruce up my fan housing during my rebuild. I noticed what looked like a copper tube sticking out of the side. Well I guess it used to stick out. But someone cut it off nice and flush. It deformed a bit and half way closed up the approx 3/8" dia hole. I did some research and found that that pipe would lead to the charcoal canister. Well mine did not come with a charcoal canister. There is no evidence that one was ever mounted either.

'75 1.8 liter with L-jet injection.

Engine was dead when I bought it, so I have never seen it run. Hence the question, did they all have the canister?

Thanks,

Clark
Mike Bellis
Yours did...
Strudelwagon
Ya, Yours probably had one long ago. It was likely mounted in the engine bay like these ones (2.0 pictured)
Here
Click to view attachment
Or Maybe here?
Click to view attachment
charliew
Bugs had them I know in 72 and my 75 has one. Thats how they trapped the tank fumes and it purged the tank after the motor warmed up. The vaccum hose went to a heat operated valve that open when the motor warmed up. On the 72 bug the valve was on the aircleaner. I don't know where it is on the 75. I hadn't thought about it before.
flipb
hijacked.gif

My '74 2.0 (survivor, not restored) produces fairly strong fuel odors. I've replaced the fuel lines (rubber) and added Mikey914's new rubber seal under the gas cap.

Would it reduce the odors if I emptied the charcoal canister and refilled it? What would I fill it with? (where do I get the right kind of activated charcoal?)

EdwardBlume
I got most of my gas smell off the top gasket on the fuel tank which you replaced.

You just don't hear about replacing the charcoal canister which leads me to think it doesn't go away too fast. I would think persistent gas fumes would be tank still, residual, or a vacuum link leak...

JeffBowlsby
The activated charcoal was designed to be replaced after 50K miles or so. The later plastic canisters are easily opened up and activated charcoal pellets can be had online...maybe aquarium stores if you need it locally.

The charcoal just absorbs fuel odors.
Dave_Darling
AFAIK, all US-spec 914s were supposed to have the charcoal canister setup.

I did get a phone call at work (my NASA job!!) many years back from a guy who had a 1970 (?) that did not. The documentation for the car said it had it, but there was no evidence of the lines ever being there. Our conclusion was that it may have originally been intended as a body shell for a non-US car but was changed over at some point during production. Either that, or Klaus and Franz at the factory had one too many beers at lunch that day and forgot to put the parts in.

--DD
malcolm2
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 8 2012, 09:48 PM) *

did they all have the canister?

With some help from Jeff, I add more to answering my question...

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Emissions.htm

So now I need to find one, and also make sure I have parts for all the hoses that enter and exit the canister.

Thanks to all,

Clark
jim_hoyland
My '75 1.8 L-Jet originally had the charcoal canister mounted to the battery hold down bolt. Some later models had the canister mounted to the rear of the engine bay. The rear mounted cars have a permanent stud dot the mounting.

Early cars have a special bracket for mounting over the gas tank. When you look at the brackets, the difference is apparent. The charcoal canisters are easily obtained, post a WTB in the classifieds.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 9 2012, 09:43 AM) *

activated charcoal pellets can be had online...maybe aquarium stores if you need it locally.

If you refill it, don't use the aquarium stuff since it's for removing impurities from water. You want something for vapours, try your local hydroponics shop. smoke.gif
maxwelj
my 70 -6 did not ever have one. Can't speak for the 4s

Jack
914Mels
The evaporative system with canister was a California requirement in 1970. It wasn't till 1971 that it was required in all 50 states. I don't know if Porsche put the equipment on all it's '70 cars or not.
sixerdon
The question, "did they all have a canister?" The answer is, no.......not all. The majority of /6's did not have them. Only those built for the CA market. The rest of the 49 states and world did not have them. Also, I believe the /4's sold though out the rest of world (ROW) also did not have them.
Read more here;
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...08524&st=20
There is at least one early MY '70 that did not have a canister......maybe more.

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.