Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket CV bolt's too soft???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
has anyone else found that the greenish CV bolts are soft???

I've had a few break while I was installing them and they snapped well under 20 lb's of torque (I tighten them using a torque wrench, I start off with a lower setting and work my way up to the proper setting)

I've never had a problem with the darker black colored CV bolts which I am guessing are factory spec and not just the generic VW bug replacment units?????

(picture "borrowed" from another thread smile.gif )
machina
Got these from EBS, (engine builders supply)

Says they are factory part #893 407 237 as per the parts catalog.

They did seem kind of soft though.

Think I should use the old black ones after all this drilling?

dr
echocanyons
I got a pair from EBS that had the greenish look to them, I used these for my caliper mounts and they came in a porsche factory labeled sealed bag.

I havent tried to torque them though.
Should I be worried?
736conver
Other differences I have notice. The greenish/silver ones are longer, less threads and have a bigger head on them
machina
Isn't most of the torque load carried by the short steel pins that locate the CV's and not the bolts themselves?

dr
Allan
Where can you get the black hardened ones?
TimT
Where can you get the black hardened ones?

Maryland Metrics

McMaster Carr

Ask for grade 10.9 I think, or the highest grade available
Allan
What do I tell them? Will they know if I just say CV bolts for a 914? I don't know the specifics of the bolts, dia., thread, length, etc.
Mueller
Will they know if I just say CV bolts for a 914?

hahahaha...chances are they won't know what a 914 is smile.gif

I don't have the specs here, but if you plan on working on your car a bunch in the future, it's a good idea to learn about hardware.....pick up the Machnery's Handbook (even an old copy from eBay is great to have) and start learning wacko.gif
GWN7
Isn't there a grade rating on them? Should be on the head somewhere...
machina
Its an M8 x 45...

dr
machina
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 25 2004, 06:49 PM)
Is't there a grade rating on them? Should be on the head somewhere...

There are 2 little dots right next to each other on the head, (on the top face)...

dr

I have also bought porsche factory hardware in Factory packaging that have this greenish tint.

Are we getting to anal about this? I got too many things on my list right now.

dr
736conver
The black bolts I have are 12.9.

The silver ones just have two raised dots
TimT
Didnt someone recently post about flywheel bolts that he bought from mittlemotor, that turned out to be cheap 3rd worlds knock offs? Those greenish bolts look suspect to me... look at the pic posted above, the black oxide bolt looks well machined with nice tolerances, the other bolt looks cheap..

They can both be equaly as strong though, and 20 ft/lbs doesnt make alot of tension in a bolt..
TimT
Im a bolt geek LOL

the on on the left has nice radii where the shank on the bolt meets the head, and the root of the thread appears to be rolled no cut...
TimT
The bolt on the right looks like a cheesy knock off... cut threads, no radius from the shank to the head..

sorry for taking three posts to say this LOL
Verruckt
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 25 2004, 02:35 PM)
I don't have the specs here, but if you plan on working on your car a bunch in the future, it's a good idea to learn about hardware.....pick up the Machnery's Handbook (even an old copy from eBay is great to have) and start learning wacko.gif

When I was working as a toolmaker, the last company I worked for flat out asked me in the interview if I had my own copy of Machinery's Handbook. laugh.gif

That book is awesome.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 25 2004, 07:26 PM)
Didnt someone recently post about flywheel bolts that he bought from mittlemotor, that turned out to be cheap 3rd worlds knock offs? Those greenish bolts look suspect to me... look at the pic posted above, the black oxide bolt looks well machined with nice tolerances, the other bolt looks cheap..

They can both be equaly as strong though, and 20 ft/lbs doesnt make alot of tension in a bolt..

I bet they're made in China or somewhere like that. There's a total influx of cheap and counterfit hardware coming in from the third world. The counterfit ones have a grade on them and they don't even come close to it.
Crap like this has even been put on aircraft by mistake. unsure.gif

I get Lobro boots for the bugs and they come with German bolts and CV grease.
thomasotten
Wait a minute... I bought some CV boot repair kits from Tweeks. They were German made, and they had those green bolts in them. They must be German.

I also ordered some bolts seperately from Tweeks at the same time, not knowing the kits came with bolts, and they sent black bolts, but they were the allen head. Not the star head. What cars are those from?

Now I don't know what to use. confused24.gif
DonTraver
When I want to be sure that the bolts, hardware are up to spec. I go to the local Caterpillar Dealer.

The quality is always good, I've been to their Metalurgy lab in Indiana, and the prices are very resonable, and their dealers are all over the place. Another good thing is they will sell you 1 bolt/nut, some places want you to buy a complete box, etc.

I tested some of their bolts when I was taking a Metalurgy course. They all exceded specs. If you go to Caterpillar, pick up the book (free) "One good Source", it lists all the nuts, bolts, washers, hardware, etc with part numbers. Then you can call your order in, cool.
Brad Roberts
FYI:

I have installed upwards of 30-40 of these "green" bolts with NO issues to date. I'm betting Mikes Torque wrench is screwed up OR the threads in the flange where jacked up.

nother FYI:

The pic shown with the longer bolt... one of those is not stock. My green bolts are the exact same length.

I have been VERY careful lately torquing the CV bolts because of all the recent failures. If I feel one is going past the point of no return I stop and pic another one to torque down. I also dont feel it is neccassary to torque them more than once. Get them "short ratchet" tight and come back with the torque wrench.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.