Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 vs 901 vs boxsterS - Opinions needed.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
rohar
Mostly a street car, but track days happen smile.gif

This one is a WWO code tranny so not quite as tall as yours. Guess that's kinda the point I was getting at, there's lots of gear sets out there smile.gif

Oh, and at 8k rpm it would hit 215.1MPH in 5th. Not that I'd ever try it. The engine will probably never see that kind of RPM, way to expensive if it scatters. With the 16v we'd do it all day. More exciting for me though, is it's well over 60 in second.
rohar
QUOTE(rohar @ Jan 14 2012, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 14 2012, 07:43 AM) *

But the deal killer for track guys would be availability of different ratios. The Spec. Boxster crowd don't change them (rules), so no one is doing much sourcing there. Maybe some other format does and has discovered someplace that is making different gear sets.

The boxster tranny is externally identical to the Audi FWD transmission so if you can bolt one up, you can bolt up the other. The Audi units are available in a huge array of factory gearing in order to handle everything from the high reving 1.8t (and even smaller engines) to the v6 diesel in europe. Not sure what the interchangeability of the internals between the porsche and auid boxes is though.

Just 'cause I couldn't leave it alone, I did verify the 96-97 boxsters used the ZF ZF5HP19FL transmission. The exact same ZF part number as the Audis/VWs from 95 to 2001ish so the internals would be interchangeable. Stock ratios for the VW/Audi units are all over the net.

edit: Crap, that's an automatic. Nevermind.
campbellcj
I sure hope that anyone planning to do more than 140-150mph in a 914 is seriously looking at aero. And tires, brakes, and all the rest...

My car is currently gear-limited to around 135 and it is borderline scary at that speed.
rick 918-S
Bob,

I'm running a 901 with a billet plate and HB 5th. I don't enduro race or anything but I chased a new Caddy CTS through the prairie land of WY at north of 120 for around 40 miles with no drama. BTW: It was a white nuckle ride without down force... My engine is a 5.0 hybrid which consists of 32 valve 5.0 short block with euro spec 16 valve top end. According to the 928 guys with similer engines running all the accessories (AC,PS,Blade fan, Alt, etc..) they report they have dyno results in excess of 350 rwh. My only caution is I baby 1st gear.

For the money and what I'm using the car for I wouldn't swap it out. It has been a great value.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 15 2012, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Jan 14 2012, 12:22 PM) *

There is a member here that has installed a 6speed boxster trans and made some type of provision for the starter that looked like it would need to be done better for longevity. The car was red but I can not remember the name. I looked at the 6 speeds and from what I understood they are the 996 trans flipped.

I'd like to see that. The starter on the 986/996 is on the engine-side. I think that problem alone makes the mating of that transmission to an air-cooled engine somewhat less than trivial.

Here is a pix from a old thread does not show the starter.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Bob
naro914
^^^whos is that? Is that yours Bigkat?
naro914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 16 2012, 08:40 PM) *

I sure hope that anyone planning to do more than 140-150mph in a 914 is seriously looking at aero. And tires, brakes, and all the rest...

My car is currently gear-limited to around 135 and it is borderline scary at that speed.

Working on aero, but the car is real stable at high speeds as it is. 12" rear, 11" front wheels/tires, 993 brakes, coil over suspension with remote resevoir adjustable shocks front & rear, ERP 935 front control arms, etc. car is set up well, and once we finish strengthening the chassis, will be fine at high speed. Need some downforce to keep up with the cups though the high speed turns.... smile.gif
J P Stein
I voted long ago to just hang in there with the 901 till it blows.
In your case I would add trans cooling.
From over the years I have concluded that the main killers of the 901 are heat & neglect. Presently the 13-14 year old rebuild is getting along passing 305hp & torque (at the wheels) to 12 inch slicks. Sure, the 901 has been torn down a few times for modification but there has been no breakage.....all stock bits less the LSD.....1st gear has been disappeared.

There is a rumor of a Mendola going in there.
rohar
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 20 2012, 04:56 AM) *

If you look at the valve covers, that doesn't look anything like a type IV to me.

Then again, I see heat exchangers so I'm not sure what's going on here.
pcar916
Those are 3.2l speed and reference sensors and a turbo lower valve cover. The white wire is from the knock sensor on cylinder #3.
campbellcj
Them be 930 turbo (six) valve covers...

QUOTE(rohar @ Jan 20 2012, 08:31 AM) *

If you look at the valve covers, that doesn't look anything like a type IV to me.

naro914
QUOTE(rohar @ Jan 20 2012, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 20 2012, 04:56 AM) *

Which is fine because my engine isn't a type IV, it's a 3.4 911 engine.
pcar916
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 20 2012, 11:01 AM) *

Which is fine because my engine isn't a type IV, it's a 3.4 911 engine.

I'm building one now . Where's your starter? Any pix of that?
naro914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 20 2012, 11:27 AM) *

I voted long ago to just hang in there with the 901 till it blows.
In your case I would add trans cooling.
From over the years I have concluded that the main killers of the 901 are heat & neglect. Presently the 13-14 year old rebuild is getting along passing 305hp & torque (at the wheels) to 12 inch slicks. Sure, the 901 has been torn down a few times for modification but there has been no breakage.....all stock bits less the LSD.....1st gear has been disappeared.

There is a rumor of a Mendola going in there.

I agree JP. My issue is both cooling and gearing. I can do the cooling without much problem, but gears tend to get expensive. I need taller at the top end..
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 20 2012, 07:56 AM) *

Why would anyone go to all that trouble and then use those POS Weltmeister trans mounts? screwy.gif
rohar
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 20 2012, 09:27 AM) *

Why would anyone go to all that trouble and then use those POS Weltmeister trans mounts? screwy.gif

I am SO not showing you the pics of my audi conversion biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rohar @ Jan 20 2012, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 20 2012, 09:27 AM) *

I am SO not showing you the pics of my audi conversion biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
I should expand on my statement.
I used a pair of those solid mounts in my own race car at one time.
They are an appealing product because people think that installing solid transmission mounts is a performance upgrade, and the Weltmeister pieces are relatively inexpensive.

My experienced opinion is that one end of the engine/trans mounting system should remain flexible, even if only to a small degree - at least in all but the stiffest of racing chassis'.
I prefer to mount the engine end solidly and the trans end on stiff rubber such as 911 sport mounts or WEVO mounts.

The Weltmeister pieces don't stay tight in hard usage. The magnesium trans ears will fret on the hard plastic and cause erosion.
As with the majority of components bearing that brand, in usage the actual product leaves much to be desired.
naro914
FYI, I use the WEVO semi solid trans mounts on both cars-softer on Huey (street) harder on Papa Smurf (race).
stownsen914
A old friend who runs a 911 racecar at DEs and PCA club races kept his 901 when he went up to a 3.0L. Even with a cooler, he gave up on the 901 after 2 blown trannies. I'd be very surprised if a 901 held up well to a built 3.4 in a track car, even with all the goodies (cooler, intermed. plate, etc.) If you do all that stuff, baby the trans, and maintain it carefully (which I might guess could include replacing the R&P regularly), a 901 could probably be made to work. But for the $$, it might be better to consider the other tranny options being discussed.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.