Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine Racing cable linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
'73-914kid
Okay Everyone, here we are. The Tangerine Racing dual carb cable/pulley setup. I finally saved up enough of my spare change and recyclables to step up to the plate in exchange for my worn out Hex-Bar setup. This will be a pictorial guide to help aid in the Assembly of the linkage.

Some background:
I've been running CB Performances Hex Bar setup for 2 years now, as a daily driver setup. I modified it to correct the arm geometry in an attempt to synchronize the arms at every throttle arrangements, and for those 2 years, It worked extremely well. As of late though, I've noticed that I was having to re-synch the carbs at 200 mile intervals. Yup, the hex bar was wearing. This was how it looked with the hex bar still in place:
IPB Image

As you can see, my heim joints were also wearing, and I had to have springs on the down link itself in an effort to keep the rod ends pre-loaded.
IPB Image
Rather than take the time to upgrade all the heim joints, bar, and linkage, to a quality that I would desire, I figured I'd go with something more accurate. Along comes the CFR kit. First thing's first, remove the old hex bar, and set it aside. I don't think I'll ever go back to it, but I figure I'll save it anyways.

IPB Image
And here's how everything comes from CFR. packaged up nicely, and with good instructions. The cable and sheathes aren't pictured, but you get the gist of what everything looks like.

The installation of the pulleys requires some work however, and is not quite "bolt on" but completely doable. The first thing you have to do is line up the holes in the pulley for the barrel clamp. I accomplished this by using blue sharpie at a 45 degree angle. Easily drawn with a protractor. The picture shows the correct orientation in relation to the carb body.
IPB Image

After you have it oriented correctly, you must center punch the throttle stop arm, and then drill a hole in it. A roll pin hold the pulleys on to the throttle arm. It does so quite successfully I must say. To bolt the pulley on to the throttle shaft, you must use blue loctite, as the counterbore in the pulley is not wide enough to accommodate the original locking tab. This is repeated similarly for the driver side (slave side) carb. One thing that was recently pointed out was to not overtighten this nut, as it can strip the threads on the throttle shaft, and then you're SOL at that point (Thanks Mark)
IPB Image

After you have the pulley tight on the carb shaft, you can set down the carb onto the intake and assemble the cable mounts. I don't have any good pictures of the installation procedure for those, however it's incredibly straightforward, and explained in great detail in Chris' instructions. One thing to be aware of, is the position of the cable mounts, in comparison to the groove machined in the pulley. The mounts can be assembled in multiple arrangements to fit just about any pulley offset. Again, I used blue loctite for many of these parts, as I really hate the idea of having throttle linkage coming apart on the freeway.

From here, it's time to string the cables from carb to carb, and really check out your work. This is a picture from my preliminary test/fitment:
IPB Image

Notice how much cleaner the engine compartment looks without that bulky HexBar mount?

After everything is installed, you can start it up and begin the synchronization process, which I don't think I'll cover in this article. I'm tired, and I have class early tommorow morning. One observation I've had with this cable setup though, is that it is heavily based upon cable tension. In a perfect world, the cable would be tensioned enough so that when the passenger carb begins to rotate, it rotates simultaneously with the slave carb. However, when the cable is tensioned to that degree, it pulls the slave carb off idle. This was overcome by a stiffer spring, but that left me with an undesirably stiff throttle pedal.

Then I looked towards the length of the sheathe. In the last picture, there is an obvious S bend in the sheathe, which despite being teflon lined, creates significant resistance and friction. My solution, shorten it. By doing so, I now have a setup with a nice throttle pedal feel, wonderful idle, and wonderful synchronization. Each application is different, so it may or may not have to be trimmed, or tuned differently than mine.

So, my final conclusion on the linkage is this: It really is a wonderful kit. So far it is the only cable linkage setup that is developed specifically for 914's, and really does live up to the hype that I at least had heard about it. It's wonderful to drive around with carbs synched at every RPM, and without the fear that over 200 miles the synchronization is going to change drastically.

I'm not advertising for Chris, and I wasn't put up to, but I figured I'd share my installation experience, as this really is an excellent alternative to the hex-bar linkage that so many people seem to have issues synchronizing.

One final note, before you go about throwing this kit on dirty carbs, go ahead and buy yourself a can of carb cleaner, and clean the shafts, and the throttle return springs that webers have on their shafts. This will ensure that you have a good clean slate to start out with when getting return spring tensions set.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that some might find this helpful
-Ethan
Cairo94507
Nice work and write up. Definitely an improvement over the Hex Bar setup.
Van
Looks like Chris did an excellent job with that product! Kudos!
76-914
Good job. More impressive is your diction. thumb3d.gif
aharder
Thanks for the information. I'm planning on dual Webers
and I have been interested in this set up. Now I know I'll
be saving my spare change also...... biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
Nice work Ethan beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
One point I'd like to emphasize is do not over tighten the nut on the throttle shaft as it can strip. Just snug it up and let the locktite do the work.

Good write up Ethan, but you might want to add this caveat to your first post. sunglasses.gif
'73-914kid
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 12 2012, 10:11 PM) *

One point I'd like to emphasize is do not over tighten the nut on the throttle shaft as it can strip. Just snug it up and let the locktite do the work.

Good write up Ethan, but you might want to add this caveat to your first post. sunglasses.gif

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and added it to the write up
-Ethan
ottox914
Could we get some close ups of how the cable mounting blocks attach to the carb/manifold area? Wondering if this might work on the turbo 914...
'73-914kid
Click to view attachment
This is about the best picture I can get, as I'm at school right now, and only have the camera on my phone. Hopefully it shows what you're looking for
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jan 13 2012, 09:03 AM) *

Could we get some close ups of how the cable mounting blocks attach to the carb/manifold area? Wondering if this might work on the turbo 914...

Dave,
I have an altered bracket design on the drawing board for some special applications. If the standard design doesn't work for you, the alternate might.

Ethan,
I'm glad you figured out that shortening the cable sheath was appropriate for your installation. We've done it here too, a couple times, but hadn't gotten around to adding it to the instructions - until now. smile.gif
'73-914kid
Well, as proof of concept, i proceeded to drive up to San Luis Obispo. 230 miles from school. Linkage stayed in sync and the carbs in tune the whole way. Even got 31 mpg average.
Tom
That is a nice installation job and the kit does seem well thought out, but your install pics and info should help many if and when they decide to upgrade their own. Nice job!!
Tom
mrbubblehead
ethan, could you snap a photo of your crossover cable now. i want to see how much you cut off. i have the same set up as you. but i dont remember having the master carb open before the slave. im sure mine are opening at the same time. im gonna go check them right now.
'73-914kid
Si Senor.. and sorry about the poor quality..
Click to view attachment
Gint
My solution, shorten it.

So, did you have to shorten the cable also? Just the sheath? Did it have a metal end on it and if so were you able to put it back on?

I didn't know Chris made those. A carb cable linkage kit that isn't vapor ware. How much are they?
FourBlades
I bought and installed this as soon as they were shipping.

It has worked great for months with no tweaking needed ever.

How much slack do you leave after shortening the cable sheath?

John
'73-914kid
I just had to shorten the sheathe. The cable has a swedged end that connects to the master pulley, and the a barrel nut holds the cable on the slave side. It goes for $270 IIRC
I love mine and I switched from Bellcrank and not Droplink. Installed last May.

I had never realized my carbs had more than just off and on. I can really feather the throttle and feel it now. Well not at this moment because of drop valve seat on #3..Damn Hot_Shoe (LOL)

I highly recommend this product. Another nut that you should NOT BE OVER TIGHTENED is the Throttle Cable End. It sucks to be ready to Turn the Key and you find yourself running a new Throttle cable instead.

Thanks Chris for the quality stuff you make for these addictive little cars!! And Ed too...
'73-914kid
I don't really know how to describe how much slack was left in it.. My best description was that it just seemed "right" not too tight, but not too long that it would cause resistance within the sheathe
mrbubblehead
thanks for the photo ethan. i dont remeber cutting mine but i must have because its about the same length as yours. im sure chris cuts them all the same. i did have to readjust my master to slave cable just a touch....it was a little loose, either the cable stretched or i didnt get it perfect the first time. im sure it was the ladder cuz i was in a hurry putting it together. never the less you may wantt to take a peak at it in 4 to 5 months. i came from a bell crank system. and this kit is night and day. the old bell crank was kinda nothcy thru its travel. and marks system is smooooth. plus i dont think i was getting full throttle with the old bell crank. i know i am now. but i did like the ease if engine removal with the old bell crank tho....just pop the arm off the carb end and done. this system may be a little more involved. maybe chris can share a short cut with us....this kit rocks. more of this driving.gif and no more of this headbang.gif you may want to add something to your tutorial that i found out- do your cable adjustments and syncronization on a hot engine. the engine grows from when its cold, and will throw everything off. been there done that.

heres a pick of my master to slave cable.....

IPB Image
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 14 2012, 04:28 PM) *

thanks for the photo ethan. i dont remeber cutting mine but i must have because its about the same length as yours. im sure chris cuts them all the same. i did have to readjust my master to slave cable just a touch....it was a little loose, either the cable stretched or i didnt get it perfect the first time. im sure it was the ladder cuz i was in a hurry putting it together.

There are several variable which affect the distance between the end mounts.
I can see in your picture that the cable bracket is flipped compared to Ethan's.

The cable is going to stretch a small amount and the sheath ends may "seat" a bit in the adjusters, so the adjustment should be checked once or twice during the first 100 miles or so.

: you may want to add something to your tutorial that i found out- do your cable adjustments and syncronization on a hot engine. the engine grows from when its cold, and will throw everything off. been there done that.

Since the cable "floats" between the end mounts, the adjustment shouldn't change significantly between a cold and a hot engine. I haven't noticed any change on my DD. YMMV
'73-914kid
Well, I spoke a little too soon about it not needing adjustment after 230 miles..haha. those were all freeway miles, so I didn't really notice anything going out of balance. Drove about 30 miles of stop and go today, and noticed that things had come a little out of adjustment. Not much, but enough for it to be noticeable.

Break out two 11mm wrenches, loosen up the cable, tighten adjuster about 1 full turn, and things are back to running perfectly. It really is mind blowingly easy to sync, and re-sync.

jmill
Chris, do you have a kit for a 6? Seems like it would work the same besides the bracket on the carbs.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 14 2012, 10:35 PM) *

Chris, do you have a kit for a 6? Seems like it would work the same besides the bracket on the carbs.

I haven't checked to see what specific changes might be needed to use the kit on a 6.
I was under the impression that everyone likes using the oe design linkage so it wasn't on even my list of projects.

I have a 3.5L at the shop with PMOs and a 2.7L with a set of ITBs I can look at for compatibility issues.

We have installed a kit on a -4 with Jenvey ITBs and we have a customer car with TWMs here which will be getting a kit installed in the near future.
Jenveys don't have a threaded end on the throttle shaft so it took a slightly different approach to attach the pulleys. Also, the throttle shaft is at a different height relative to the flange mating surface so we had to raise the bracket on the mounting studs, but installation wasn't that difficult and didn't require machining any new pieces.
jmill
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 15 2012, 06:58 PM) *

I was under the impression that everyone likes using the oe design linkage so it wasn't on even my list of projects.

Your design would appeal to the conversion guys and 911 folks. It saves finding all the linkage bits and routing the cable around the trans. Much shorter and cleaner install IMHO without all the bellcrank monkey motion.
Harpo
Doesn't Raby have something similat to this. I can't find it on his web site but his banner shows something he calls Sync-Link throttle system. Does anyone have expierence with this? I'm not knocking Chris's system I just want to know what my options are.

Thanks

David
'73-914kid
Im not sure on the status of the sync-link system Jake advertises, as i dont see it in his store. I went with the available option.

When the day comes for a 6 conversion, i would definetely be in for a cable operated system for sixes Chris. Id agree with the fact that it avoids the hassle of acquiring or fabricating a linkage that goes back to the gearbox.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(aharder @ Jan 12 2012, 10:33 AM) *

Thanks for the information. I'm planning on dual Webers
and I have been interested in this set up. Now I know I'll
be saving my spare change also...... biggrin.gif

I have a set of dual 40s with Chris's linkage installed, decided to go EFI instead. Was going to sell at Hershey, but send me a PM if you are interested.

I can tell anyone interested in this product - it blew away the action I got with my old hex bar linkage. I have never seen carbs as easy to balance as they were with the cable linkage.

Zach
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 14 2012, 03:31 PM) *

My solution, shorten it.

So, did you have to shorten the cable also? Just the sheath? Did it have a metal end on it and if so were you able to put it back on?

I didn't know Chris made those. A carb cable linkage kit that isn't vapor ware. How much are they?

I don't recommend shortening the cable unless it's absolutely necessary. We weld the end to prevent fraying.
The sheath slips into the metal adjusters on the ends - piece of cake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.