Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
Is there a special set of oil line wrenches that can be used with the set of lines in this picture? Is there a special wrench that allows you to take the line at the bottom of pic off the oil tank while the tank is installed in the fender well of the car? Or do you just need to install or remove the line from the tank by taking the tank out?
jim912928
I got this set from Harbor Freight and used them on my six conversion (I used all metric oil lines). They are thin and had all of the large sizes needed for the oil lines and the oil connector on the engine block. The one line that is part of the "two parter" connection from the tank to the cooler needs to have the oil tank side installed before the tank goes in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wr...-set-93668.html

Jim
GeorgeRud
32 and 36mm wrenches are what you need. The HF set actually looks to be what I paid for the two ones I bought years ago!
6freak
36MM crows foot and long ext will work on the bottom line ....loosen it , clock it and drop out the tank.......NOT EASY EVEN FOR THE ONE THAT HAVE DONE IT AND KNOW smile.gif

MikeC
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 13 2012, 05:06 PM) *

32 and 36mm wrenches are what you need. The HF set actually looks to be what I paid for the two ones I bought years ago!

32 & 36 are common sizes spanners available at bike shops.
bcheney
QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 13 2012, 03:24 PM) *

36MM crows foot and long ext will work on the bottom line ....loosen it , clock it and drop out the tank.......NOT EASY EVEN FOR THE ONE THAT HAVE DONE IT AND KNOW smile.gif

MikeC

I'm thinking it may easier to remove the tank then to loosen the fitting....if the tank is EMPTY? Would be interested to hear what folks have to say that have done this. Thanks Mike for the crowfoot suggestion. Where can you pick up a 36mm crowfoot?
Krieger
I will be attempting this today with no specialty tools. Currently have an empty tank installed in car with the bottom line in fender well finger tight and marked for position. I have all the factory seals. I plan on trying to remove the tank with line on, or separating and removing. Then when both are out attaching line in marked position. I heard that when installing the tank you rotate it counter clock-wise in the fenderwell. I will try and report back.
bcheney
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 14 2012, 10:08 AM) *

I will be attempting this today with no specialty tools. Currently have an empty tank installed in car with the bottom line in fender well finger tight and marked for position. I have all the factory seals. I plan on trying to remove the tank with line on, or separating and removing. Then when both are out attaching line in marked position. I heard that when installing the tank you rotate it counter clock-wise in the fenderwell. I will try and report back.

Wow...I guess everything happens for a reason! Thanks for chiming in and I look forward to the report. It's tight in there...good luck.
Krieger
Okay, that was easy. Been in and out 3 times in an less than an hour adjusting position of hose. I don't have the factory foam seals on and my car has flares. Put the hose in the fenderwell, then rotate the entire assembly counter clock-wise, a little up and down and some light pushing, but no big deal. My car is not an original 6 so I'm fussing with hose location. The hose passes under the trailing arm mounting plate and can cover the 1 of the 3 bolts.
Krieger
Here is a picture someone posted the other day. The hoses do have a good amount of flex when assembled.
Krieger
In and out again, readjust hose to be parallel to the tank.
Krieger
okay not quite parallel to the seam of the tank maybe 15* in toward center of the car is it!
6freak
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jan 14 2012, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 13 2012, 03:24 PM) *

MikeC

I'm thinking it may easier to remove the tank then to loosen the fitting....if the tank is EMPTY? Would be interested to hear what folks have to say that have done this. Thanks Mike for the crowfoot suggestion. Where can you pick up a 36mm crowfoot?

Hi .... that bottom hose must be loose ...and remove rocker panel screws (under side only) and prop outward with something ..gives just a bit more room......Snap on tools ...double check the size 36mm?? 32mm?? been awile ....hold on ..2 minutes later .........1 7/16 i know but it works
6freak
quote name='bcheney' date='Jan 12 2012, 08:47 PM' post='1603888']
Is there a special set of oil line wrenches that can be used with the set of lines in this picture? Is there a special wrench that allows you to take the line at the bottom of pic off the oil tank while the tank is installed in the fender well of the car? Or do you just need to install or remove the line from the tank by taking the tank out?
[/quote]
Click to view attachment

I remember why it took this crow foot ..the other openend wrench style did not come in MM that big so i had to go SAE . good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.