Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pump Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Apparently, one of the two 4 hole oil pump gaskets is not available. I believe it is the thinner of the two. Henceforth my question. Can I use 2 of the thick ones in lieu of a thick/thin combination. Or can I use this Curil T sealant in place of the thin gasket. Also, I read that the Melling pump drive needs to have 1mm trimmed from the end. I don't know if the one I have has been ground down yet? How long is that tang when new? sawzall-smiley.gif tia, kent

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
First I'll give you my opinion of melling pumps.... stromberg.gif

The thick gasket goes under the pump and the thin between the pump and cover. Most bug shops should have both gaskets, if not a type one gasket kit is only about $10.
You can adjust the length of the shaft with a press (or vice) the gear is just pressed on the shaft. The modification is most likely to the pump body, as on the T1 VW pumps it hits the cam bolts. You can slightly round the drive shaft tang so it sits down deeper in the cam slot.
76-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 13 2012, 06:37 PM) *

First I'll give you my opinion of melling pumps.... stromberg.gif

The thick gasket goes under the pump and the thin between the pump and cover. Most bug shops should have both gaskets, if not a type one gasket kit is only about $10.
You can adjust the length of the shaft with a press (or vice) the gear is just pressed on the shaft. The modification is most likely to the pump body, as on the T1 VW pumps it hits the cam bolts. You can slightly round the drive shaft tang so it sits down deeper in the cam slot.

IIRC, the article I read said the puts a side load on the cam bearings but rounding it sounds better.
The OEM style that I originally installed is just a hair low for me. I had a couple of older mellings and got one good one out of it. I'm also going to look at the relief valves before I close it up. Thanks for all of the good info, Mark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.