914Bryan
Look at what I just got!! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Nice thumb3d.gif biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
beerchug.gif
ww914
Looks good, now get it on the car and let's see your notching skills.
JmuRiz
Good stuff, I loved mine!
wingnut86
Post some audio on The Tube after install so we can all dream:-)
mrbubblehead
very nice, that center tube looks like the perfect place for an 02 sensoe also....
Tom
Oh yea!
euro911
Congrats. I wanted a Triad ever since I heard one on Howard's "Suzi" ...

I picked one up last year, it'll be going on the 'BB' when the new 2056 goes in (hopefully sometime in February) cheer.gif
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Awesome
914Bryan
Ok, its installed and it was easy as pie...Everyting lined up perfectly and it looks great. I took the valacne off for now, but it needs to go back on for the cleaner look. I am nervous on the notching part. Im thinking of wussing out and taking it to a fabricator who can make the notch and be able to roll the sheetmetal like the other side.

Just a thought, is there a fiberglass alternative? I feel a litle easier cutting fiberglass instead of the metal and may explore that idea.

Anyway, the sound! WOW! The prior header/muffler had a higher pitched "raspy" sound, which was nice, but the Triad has a much deeper, mellow tone and "growls". I wont say it sounds like a six, but it sounds like a big four! So far, so good.

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
That looks awesome! Do they also make them for a 1.7 too? Where can I get one?
euro911
If you don't have the capabilities to beat a dented-up valance back into shape and cut the extra opening, I'd try to locate a fiberglass valance (they are available) as to not hack up a good steel one.

PEL-MTC-1413 http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...74%29%2C%20Each

(oops ... temporarily unavailable form Pelican)

... and yes, Triad will manufacture exhausts for 1.7L 4 ~ 3.8L 6

Buy new: http://triadwestperformance.com/ ... or keep your eyes open for used ones in the classifieds
Gint
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jan 14 2012, 12:12 PM) *
Ok, its installed and it was easy as pie...Everyting lined up perfectly and it looks great. I took the valacne off for now, but it needs to go back on for the cleaner look. I am nervous on the notching part. Im thinking of wussing out and taking it to a fabricator who can make the notch and be able to roll the sheetmetal like the other side.

Just a thought, is there a fiberglass alternative? I feel a litle easier cutting fiberglass instead of the metal and may explore that idea.

Anyway, the sound! WOW! The prior header/muffler had a higher pitched "raspy" sound, which was nice, but the Triad has a much deeper, mellow tone and "growls". I wont say it sounds like a six, but it sounds like a big four! So far, so good.

Click to view attachment
It does sound like a big 4. You're going to love that thing. I love mine. Best 914/4 exhaust I've ever heard.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jan 14 2012, 11:12 AM) *

Click to view attachment

BAD ASS! I only have the early single outlet version
mrbubblehead
that is pretty freakin bad ass. is there room on the back side of the single vertical tube for an o2 sensor?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jan 14 2012, 12:13 PM) *

agree.gif
do that for those that have not heard- but i'll just go out the garage poke.gif

I think you will like!! i have had mine for 2 years, nice sound , not tinney, but not too loud at all cruising either- a great balance.

enjoy- and post some pictures when you get her in place!!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 14 2012, 01:10 PM) *

very nice, that center tube looks like the perfect place for an 02 sensoe also....

agree.gif i'm pretty sure that is where my o2 is going- center back of the center collector---

and i just saw your last post- looks nice!!!! i will put one on my next car too!!(yep, planning another purchase soon i hope!)

PlaysWithCars
Great system and definitely makes the -4 sound more imposing. I'm convinced I picked up mid-range torque too.
914Bryan
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 14 2012, 02:30 PM) *

agree.gif

I think you will like!! i have had mine for 2 years, nice sound , not tinney, but not too loud at all cruising either- a great balance.

Noticed that your head pipes are kicked up at the flange compared to mine that are straight back. Is that the way they came or did you change some things around??
messix
1.7/1.8 h/e are like that
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Jan 15 2012, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jan 14 2012, 02:30 PM) *

agree.gif

Noticed that your head pipes are kicked up at the flange compared to mine that are straight back. Is that the way they came or did you change some things around??

thats because the SS H.E.'s are for 1.7, 1.8.'s - when i bought them i did not know there was a difference in the h.e. design when i got them - i have a 2.0 motor,, i got such a great deal on the h.e.'s i just kept them, and i had the triad make for the 1.7 set up. the are the same otherwise, no difference in performance.
and no one knows why porsche went to the trouble to make them different. they could have made them the same for all models, they bolt up the same, are interchangable for that reason.

phil
DRPHIL914
if you ever decide to go the header route, and do stainless , check out racer chris's set up at tangerine racing-- someday i will!!!
LINGO
How long does it take the guys from Triad to return a email and/or a phone call (I left a message)? I did both last week and have not heard anything back from them? I've read where they are pretty busy so I don't want to bother them too much but I am looking to purchase the Triad muffler and would like to get the purchase in motion.
r_towle
less than two years, the age of this thread.

Its worth the wait...keep trying.
Cool muffler.

Try calling at different times of day.
When in the shop, if they keep answering the phone they never get any work done.
Kinda goes with the territory of doing business with a small shop.

rich
AZ914
I think 'Triad' is just one guy, Dave. Like Rich said, try at a different time if you call.
boxsterfan
You'll love it. A pic of my car that I got from Camp914.

Olympic 914
I like these pipes also. might try to get a set.

If I can sell my old ones..
bandjoey
a sound clip would be nice.. poke.gif

they look great!

What's the weight difference as compared to a stock 1.7-1.7 muffler? Does it hang from the header pipes without additional support to the body?
carr914
When I bought mine, I got a Custom Rear Valance! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
It's just Dave, but that's enough. Try sending an email that he can respond to on his schedule. Then be prepared to wait in line for your order. Its worth the wait.
PanelBilly
duplicate errrorrrr
mwyatt
I bought one a couple years ago and Dave was great to deal with (he was responsive and patient with my questions). No affiliation, I just had a good experience.
Alphaogre
I have been going back and forth on getting one for my 1970 1.7 but i'm not sure with that motor it would be worth any "performance" and I cant find any video or audio on how it will sound...I would like it to sound a little less beetle and a little more 2.0 6 cylinder motor...
LINGO
I appreciate the comments I will definitely keep trying and will send another email.

Carr914 where did you pick up that custom valance? I was going to fab my old one but if I could grab one like that I'd do it?
Tom
Alphaogre,

Get with MWAYT , the post above yours, ( you are both in San Diego ) and listen for yourself. I was at a 914 gathering and was accused of having a 6 in mine. Nope, it's a four! It is a bit louder, but throaty.
Don't think you will be disappointed.
Tom
smarens
you have to post a video with audio, I really want to hear it, how load is it over your stock one you took off? popcorn[1].gif
smarens
oops mistyped load
Garland
From my old post:

QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 28 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Click to view attachmentThis was a 6 valance, and I had to move the hole slightly outboard and weld in a plate to cover the difference. I trimmed the Triad tips off about 3", installed the valance and outlined the locations for the holes from the backside of the valance. The exhaust is very well made, but it, or the car was slightly off on side to side height. So a slight shim on one trans mount, and a extra washer at the engine bar made it correct. I left about a 1/2 " clearance around the pipe after increasing the size to fit the Audi A8 tips. The holes are not round since the valance is angled. Slightly oval cut.

The reason I cut a 6 valance was it had been cut before to fit a 4!. Hard to think the PO did that.
bandjoey
QUOTE(Garland @ Apr 25 2014, 07:19 PM) *

From my old post:

QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 28 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Click to view attachmentThis was a 6 valance, and I had to move the hole slightly outboard and weld in a plate to cover the difference. I trimmed the Triad tips off about 3", installed the valance and outlined the locations for the holes from the backside of the valance. The exhaust is very well made, but it, or the car was slightly off on side to side height. So a slight shim on one trans mount, and a extra washer at the engine bar made it correct. I left about a 1/2 " clearance around the pipe after increasing the size to fit the A8 tips. The holes are not round since the valance is angled. Slightly oval cut.

The reason I cut a 6 valance was it had been cut before to fit a 4!. Hard to think the PO did that.

Gee John. I clicked on the picture over and over waiting for the video to come up. beerchug.gif Great looking car though!
Alphaogre
QUOTE(Tom @ Apr 25 2014, 04:43 PM) *

Alphaogre,

Get with MWAYT , the post above yours, ( you are both in San Diego ) and listen for yourself. I was at a 914 gathering and was accused of having a 6 in mine. Nope, it's a four! It is a bit louder, but throaty.
Don't think you will be disappointed.
Tom

Tom,

I have heard it on the 2.0's and they sound great. I'm curious how much different it sounds for the smaller engin.
carr914
QUOTE(LINGO @ Apr 25 2014, 06:28 PM) *

I appreciate the comments I will definitely keep trying and will send another email.

Carr914 where did you pick up that custom valance? I was going to fab my old one but if I could grab one like that I'd do it?

The person that was selling the Triad here in the Classifieds 6 Months ago included the Valance
TJB/914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 25 2014, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(LINGO @ Apr 25 2014, 06:28 PM) *

The person that was selling the Triad here in the Classifieds 6 Months ago included the Valance

Guys,
I have a new Triad in the power coat shop (jet hot finish) and need a dual (2) hole valance like carr914?? Can anyone tell me where to get a steel one?? I hate to cut up my good single rear valance.
Tom
LINGO

LINGO
Sorry for the double reply post. Same here on the valance if I don't have to use the single I would prefer to keep it and not use it.
Triaddave
Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. It is a great pat on the back and it makes it all worth it in the end. I have been busy, mostly with overseas sales. I am catching up. I'm working on providing chrome tips as an option. again, thanks to all
r_towle
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Apr 26 2014, 08:06 PM) *

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. It is a great pat on the back and it makes it all worth it in the end. I have been busy, mostly with overseas sales. I am catching up. I'm working on providing chrome tips as an option. again, thanks to all

Great to hear things are going well for you.
Communication will keep things going.

Rich
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(LINGO @ Apr 26 2014, 06:04 PM) *

Sorry for the double reply post. Same here on the valance if I don't have to use the single I would prefer to keep it and not use it.

I had a guy here a few years ago that made me a dual outlet valance that perfectly fits. I kept my old one just in case. Unfortunately he is no longer active here due to personal issues. But there are guys that can do this or you can get a fiberglass one and make your own.

QUOTE(Triaddave @ Apr 26 2014, 08:06 PM) *

Dave, have had mine for several years and love it. I would be interested in the chrome tip option. If you have these to ship out to be installed locally. Please let me know
Phil
Triaddave
I found the perfect tip that slips over the 2 1/2 tip on my exhaust. It needs to be shortened but fits tight. like so tight that paint may be an issue. typically spot welded,it will fit good under the valence. same piece is available in polished stainless steel.

One more note, I retired last June and now do Triad full time. After working both jobs, (union carpenter for 35+years and Triad since 2002) I needed a break, time off. I am rebuilding my engine, getting the wife's 914 car going, mowing the yard and doing personal things. Trying to upgrade the web site and do more advertising like tee shirts and such. Things will get better.
bandjoey
Thanks Dave. Do you have a timetable on new production and pricing for the Triad?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.