Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel removal, horn ring removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
Hi All,

My odometer and trip odometer are working intermittently, so I guess I need to pull the gauge and see if I am gutsy enough to disassemble the gauge via the pellican article (or send to a fellow forum member for repair?)

To do this I guess I need to pull the steering wheel (first the horn ring). I see in the Haynes manual I am supposed to turn the horn ring CCW, however I don't know if that means an 1/8 of a turn then it pulls off, or does it have to spin multiple times to come off? Don't want to screw up the horn contact wire since my horn actually works.

Then wanted to pull the steering wheel to see if I could sew a leather cover on. Any nightmares with pulling the steering wheel? The wheel on my MG Midget comes off very easy but that car is seriously primitive compared to the 914.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks
Reg
sfrenck
Horn ring doesn't spin a lot - maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

I had to "extend" my socket wrench with a piece of pipe to get enough leverage to crack the nut holding the wheel on.
pilothyer
Once you turn the horn ring CCW just a little, as stated you will feel it release........Then carefully disconnect the wire from the ring...these will break off if they have been bent too many times......................it can be repaired if it happens but be careful with it. Also don't put the wire through the hole..........I have seen that a lot. Once you have the nut off you may have to wiggle the steering wheel to get it off..........also...be sure to mark the wheel and shaft to get the wheel back on like it came off........that is if it centered properly to begin with....otherwise it will be trial and error till you get it right.
struckn
I just pulled my steering wheel today. I'm replacing my ingnition switch.
I used this Pelican Tech Artical fully describs pulling the wheel nicely.
The address below is miss leading but it takes you right to it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ooler_seals.htm

If you want a quick way to cover your steering wheel I bought the universal simulated black leather one at the the Parts Store and then used CY Super glue to glue the seam together all the way around except at the spokes and with out glueing it to the wheel it's self.
windforfun
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Jan 14 2012, 01:16 PM) *

Once you turn the horn ring CCW just a little, as stated you will feel it release........Then carefully disconnect the wire from the ring...these will break off if they have been bent too many times......................it can be repaired if it happens but be careful with it. Also don't put the wire through the hole..........I have seen that a lot. Once you have the nut off you may have to wiggle the steering wheel to get it off..........also...be sure to mark the wheel and shaft to get the wheel back on like it came off........that is if it centered properly to begin with....otherwise it will be trial and error till you get it right.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Careful with the wire routing. The design is poor. Don't use the hole.
windforfun
Heat shrink tube the wire if you need to.
partwerks
When my odometer stopped I had just gotten a junk odometer that still had a good long plastic gear in it and put it in mine.

Been a while since I done it, but don't recall it being rocket science. I think you just take a few screws off the back and the housing comes off to gain access and will be self explanatory.
TheCabinetmaker
The few screws in the back just hold the innards to the case. The crimped bezel must be carefully un crimped to remove the front. Then unscrew the back and the guts will come out.
potomacmidget
All,

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it - I managed to disassemble everything with no major issues - thanks for the link to pellican - forgot to check out the tech articles there.

Reg
76-914
Reg, if you pop the glass off, be sure to clean the inside of the glass before you close it up. When you see the difference you can do the other 2 gages so that they will match happy11.gif The broken tab is a quick easy fix if that happens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.