Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Experience with Electromotive HPX or XDI?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmill
I currently have a 2.4T motor without a dizzy. I don't have the funds to go straight to the 2.2S P&C's, large port heads and Solex cams. I'm going to "refresh" the T motor and make this thing a driver while I save up for the raped ape motor. I'm thinking I can go with the HPX or XDI and not have to worry about buying a Bosch dizzy with a T advance curve and then get it recurved when I go with the new engine bits.

Anyone have experience with the HPX or XDI?
brant
QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 15 2012, 04:06 PM) *

I currently have a 2.4T motor without a dizzy. I don't have the funds to go straight to the 2.2S P&C's, large port heads and Solex cams. I'm going to "refresh" the T motor and make this thing a driver while I save up for the raped ape motor. I'm thinking I can go with the HPX or XDI and not have to worry about buying a Bosch dizzy with a T advance curve and then get it recurved when I go with the new engine bits.

Anyone have experience with the HPX or XDI?

I've only done it on a -4
but correct you can tune any "advance curve" you want into the electromotive.
they are actually available used at really really good prices
you can practically buy a used unit for the same price as a good used dizzy.
(maybe a tiny bit more)

but then you can use the same electromotive on any future engine also.
brant
ellisor3
Here is a good source for information. I have the Electromotive Tec-GT and I discussed options with Richard Clewett. Very knowledable on Porsche.

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

jmmotorsports
I ran an HPV-1 on my V8 for several years without any issues. Very cheap used . Quite a few 911 guys on Pelican run Electromotive ignitions,you can find a lot of info there. I would go this way again before spending any money on a dizzy and coil ignition.

Jerry

Matt Romanowski
There are a lot better systems that Electromotive. They still use a RS232 or serial cable (no USB) and are stuck on the wasted spark idea. You're much better off going with Motec ($$$) ot Haltech (very reasonable).
SLITS
If you want a unit ... I have an extra HPX and HPV-3B**

HPX ... dials on unit, no computer required. Ignition only.

**HPV-3B ... requires software & I don't have the correct one. Ignition only ... no injectore drivers.
GeorgeRud
I've had the Electromotive system on my conversion for many years, and it's worked fine. You do need to have the battery charged for it to work properly, and it's an absolute pain in the a.. if you have to change the sensor with the engine in the car (ask how I know).

Rich Clewitt is a great source of parts for the Electromotive and has done a nice job setting this up for the 911 type engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.