Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Well, got some bad news that its about time to replace my clutch after all these years...had been going good for the last 10 years and than when I checked my car into the bodyshop for some insurance paint and bodywork it came home with a poorly functioning clutch and now looks to need replacement. It will work for a little more but is slipping...I was quite angry with the bodyshop as this has happened and am still discussing this problem with the owner...

I searched around for some clutch kits here in Japan and could not find much and know places like AA and Automotion sell them but wanted to ask what others are running or may recommend.

My car is a 72 4 cylinder model with a 2.2L big bore kit, performance cam, big valve heads, 40mm duel dellortos and puts out around 140 HP...I was using a stock clutch with I believe a 6 spring 911S disc but can't remember cause it has been so many years.

Looking at some kind of performance clutch kit that will last a long time and not break the bank. Any suggestions, ideas or recommendations?

Thank you
sean_v8_914
Kennedy engineering
how would a body shop be responsible for damaging your clutch?
SLITS
The stock SACHS clutch will work. There used to be a 4 spring driven disk used on the 1.7/1.8. The 2.0 used a 6 spring driven disk, just like the early 2.0 six. Supposedly the clamping force on the 4 was about 900 lbs and the 6 had 1100 lbs (all from memory).

They are all the same now ... 6 spring and same clamping force.

Your next option is aftermarket or beefing up the stock clutch. Clutch rebuilders like Clutch Masters can up the clamping force of the pressure plate. Your next option is the Kennedy setup or any number of aftermarket clutches (Centerforce, etc.)

I run a 2.7L in my teener (180 HP) and have no slipping problems with the stock /6 clutch.

All depends upon how much money you want to throw.

And the question Mark asked about the body shop should be answered ... 1.) Did someone at the body shop tighten the clutch cable? 2.) Did an idiot drive it and slip the clutch burning the faces of the flywheel / pressure plate? 3.) Was it just old and finally gave in?
sean_v8_914
10jreen ran a stock clutch behind his 2.4 150 RWHP as Slits describes. no issues for 3 seasons, 2 drivers + track days also.
toolguy
You can't beat this guys prices.. whole Sach's setup $295 free shipping. . don't know about to Japan though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250905255105?item=...em=&vxp=mtr
jsayre914
are you sure you need a clutch, have you checked for the obvious stuff

clutch nut backed off
clutch tube broke free
clutch cable

??

Dosnt hurt to double check
beerchug.gif
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jan 16 2012, 11:02 PM) *

Kennedy engineering
how would a body shop be responsible for damaging your clutch?

I found out the son of the owner had been driving my car on the streets and also they parked int inside each night so they had to move it in and out and the guy who does this was terrible...I asked them not to drive it and just push it, they screwed up the clutch...thats what my mechanic is saying now. We adjusted it but its pretty much at the limit and time for a replacement....very sad. It was fine when I checked it into the bodyshop. Shifted nice and everything, not anymore.....
Mike Bellis
I bought a SPEC clutch kit but I need to hold a potential 450-500hp. $600= PP, copper hybrid disc, new TOB and tool...

You will problably be OK with a stock unit...
nsr-jamie
Sounds like I should be fine with that 6 spring Sachs kit, thats a good price on the ebay link (thanks Toolguy)

My motor is putting out around 140HP or so, so I guess the stock clutch should be fine...I remember hearing about 914 guys using early 911S clutch kits or perhaps it was just the pressure plate.

Don't have a lot of money to blow on this as I just bought a bunch of suspension upgrades. Just curious what others are running and if they had any recommendations or good shops they could let us know.

Right now, I am in discussion with the owner of the bodyshop, they don't want to help me one bit and are refusing to do anymore even though they made a huge fortune on the bill from the insurance claim. I offered to pay half of the clutch job...they are responsible for this.
'73-914kid
I concur with the others. 140 HP with the stock clutch, and the six spring disk that that ebay kit includes. I bought the ebay kit, and was really pleased with it. I've had zero slippage in my car. It holds nice and strong, and has a nice feel when you pull away from stop signs.

Stock unit will prevent abuse throughout your drivetrain as well. a little slipping in the clutch is better than a broken CV..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.