Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: master cylinder choices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ape914
My 914 has a brake fluid leak under the master (little drips on the ground!) now I may only have a leak in the hoses to the master, but the master in the car is old, so I am trying to budget for the worst case.

I looked and found these options at Rock Auto. has anyone experince with these masters, there is a URO brand one, (maybe a six cylinder version), there is a 23 mm one (to big??) from URO, a cardone rebuilt one, and a Raybestos one.

Any suggestion about quality of these parts or suggestion for alternate vendors?

there is a huge price differance, $71.79 to $239.79

From Rock Auto website.......

1972 : PORSCHE : 914 : 1.7L H4 : Brake/Wheel Hub : Master Cylinder Price Core Total Add to Cart
ÜRO PARTS Part # 91135501202 More Info Brake Master Cylinder
6 Cylinder; Pressure switch is included

$71.79 $0.00 $71.79
ÜRO PARTS Part # 91135501202A More Info Brake Master Cylinder
6 Cylinder; Big Bore; 23mm high performance version

$84.89 $0.00 $84.89
A-1 CARDONE Part # 114427 More Info Reman. - Return and Rebuild Service Only - By ordering this service you are agreeing to send your original part to the manufacturer to be rebuilt. Rebuild time is approximately 3-5 business days. You will be contacted with directions once the order is placed. For more information please contact Customer Service.
without Stoplight Switches on Master Cylinders; Power brakes

$90.79 $18.00 $108.79
A-1 CARDONE Part # 113740 More Info Reman. - Return and Rebuild Service Only - By ordering this service you are agreeing to send your original part to the manufacturer to be rebuilt. Rebuild time is approximately 3-5 business days. You will be contacted with directions once the order is placed. For more information please contact Customer Service.
without Pressure Sensor
without Stoplight Switches on Master Cylinders; Manual brakes

$143.79 $18.00 $161.79
RAYBESTOS Part # MC39290 More Info Professional Grade; Bore Size=11/16" Number of Ports=2 Primary Outlet Size=M10x1
Except Pressure Warning Switch; Power brakes

$239.79 $0.00 $239.79
Tom_T
welcome.png

IMHO - stay away from the non-OEM parts for your 914.

A-1 Cardone's rebuilds are not good quality (I sent rebuilt front calipers back that were rusty in the fresh rebuild boxes).

There is a whole discussion here in the classic topics forum on the pro's & con's of "upgrading" from the stock ATE 17mm MC to the 914-6's 19mm one (which saves a few bucks being it's also for the 911/912 so more available).

Member vendors PMB & GPR on here can set you up with MC's & brake parts & restorations.

GPR carries a lower cost but supposedly good quality aftermarket ?TE 17mm MC (call/PM/email Jonathan/hwgunner at GPR for the particulars), and he had a discounted 914world member price on them awhile back.

PMB has all of the parts, as well as excellent restorations/rebuilds of the NLA calipers, so I'd check with Eric Shea on here as well, since I don't know what all you need to do on your brake system.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ellisor3
I installed a 23mm in my 3.2 conversion and I literally have to stand on it to stop very quickly. Would not do that again.
Cap'n Krusty
Use the 19mm, and ONLY ATE. Forget the cheap crap. It's your LIFE, and the life of the guy in front of you .................

The Cap'n
saigon71
I went with a stock 17MM ATE for my stock brakes. It was a few bucks more than the 19MM (think I paid $125 or so). Looks like a lot of folks are going with the 19MM. Either choice should work well, as long as its an ATE or other well known brand.
Series9
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 18 2012, 06:12 PM) *

Use the 19mm, and ONLY ATE. Forget the cheap crap. It's your LIFE, and the life of the guy in front of you .................

The Cap'n

agree.gif

The ATE is going to cost over $200, but it's $200 you should spend.
tradisrad
don't monkey around with this one. buy the ATE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.