Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear spoiler question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgw
I have a question for folks who have this kind of spoiler on their 914's. The picture is borrowed from somewhere, I like the car and the spoiler.

I am assuming that spoiler has been fiberglassed to the rear trunk lid. I asked a body shop about installing mine and doing the same thing but they did not want to glass it in, saying it would just crack right away.

Anyway, the question to folks who have this kind of spoiler installed this way. If you have had it installed for some time and have driven the car quite a bit, have you experienced any problems with cracking?

Are there any install tricks for this spoiler?

Click to view attachment
sawtooth
In my search for a great looking integrated spoiler solution I ended up buying a QRS fiberglass deck lid with integrated spoiler. It's very good quality, strong and light with a nice finish. In the end though I decided to stay with the stock look, so mine is for sale, PM me if you are interested.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jan 20 2012, 10:37 AM) *

In my search for a great looking integrated spoiler solution I ended up buying a QRS fiberglass deck lid with integrated spoiler. It's very good quality, strong and light with a nice finish. In the end though I decided to stay with the stock look, so mine is for sale, PM me if you are interested.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

IMHO, that is the only rear that looks good on a 914..
VegasRacer
QUOTE(dgw @ Jan 20 2012, 09:27 AM) *

If you have had it installed for some time and have driven the car quite a bit, have you experienced any problems with cracking?

Yup. The rear spoiler was added to my car 20 years ago. The cracks have grown to almost 2 inches on each corner.
iamchappy
No cracks, must of been done right, same as the flares....
dgw
Chappy,
I have a picture or your spoiler in my file of spoiler pictures as well as the yellow one I used for an example. Yours, I assume, has been fiberglassed onto a metal trunk lid? I like the way yours is done, do you ever bump into those tits on the fenders when the trunk lid is open? That orange color is terrific, my Boxster is that color.
windforfun
Those aren't tits. They're hips.
effutuo101
Chappy did his correct. Fiberglass to metal has to be done right or you get lots of cracks.
I have the same deck as shown in the picture. once piece. If I don't trade if for a non spoilered deck, it will come out much like Chappy. Easier for me as I have glass fenders to adhere to.
Most of them are just a matter of drilling holes and bolting it on. Several companies offer them as a 1 piece bolt on (some drilling required) application.
effutuo101
I think Chappy's rear deck is glass. but, he will have to confirm or deny.
914.SBC
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 20 2012, 12:20 PM) *

I love how your teener looks. Very nice.
Elliot Cannon
Keeping in mind that for a spoiler to really be functional it has to be at least 6" high. Otherwise it's just for looks. Kinda like mine. laugh.gif
craig downs
I did mine back in the mid 80s and no cracks. I ruffed up the steel real good and used fiberglass to mold it to the trunk and fenders. I used polyester resein and took the mat and shredded it into the resein so fibers would add strength to the resein. You have to be very careful to get all the air pockets out. It takes a few coats and a lot of sanding. I skimmed some bondo over it to top it off.

Click to view attachment
3d914
Chappy's & Craig's spoilers look the same. Who is the supplier?
Randal
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 20 2012, 12:20 PM) *

I always like that set up, with the integrated spoiler and oil cooler! Always wanted to do the same thing, but moving the cooler to the rear would screw up my weight balance which is currently right on, i.e., about as neutral under maximum power as I've ever felt. smile.gif

My spoiler is bolted on and I subsequently bolted an aluminum panel to it to get 8" of spoiler for autoxing. And believe it or not, it works.

Been thinking about making the panel larger so it nets out 10 inches.

Click to view attachment
raw1298
Here is another version. It is a complete deck.
Elliot Cannon
Or you could get really wild.
TC 914-8
Mine (I think) was fiberglassed on. also screws from underneath. Flairs too, No cracks except a very small one on the rear where the spoiler meets the existing trunk lid. I watch it and no changes in the 5 years I've had the car.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mikea100
I'm not a big fan of phone dials, but this looks nice. What size are they?

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 20 2012, 03:20 PM) *

MikeSpraggi
This is what I'm going with on my track car. It is only riveted on, so no cracks from bonding to the rear trunk lid.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.