Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question: Front Anti-SwayBar Bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I have a 15mm sway bar that I'd like to install on the '75 while we have the fuel tank out (replacing the plastic lines with SS lines).

I've never replaced bushings before, so I'm looking for some expertise from you guys.

The new Pelican bushings appear to be different than the OEM ones we pulled off.

The old bushings had a linear slice that allowed me to remove them. The new bushings are a harder compound and not sliced.

Do I slice them with a hacksaw? or band saw? ... or do I place them in boiling hot water and press them on? confused24.gif

I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs until I get a good answer ... popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
I think you have to split them into two pieces.
flash914
I just sliced mine with a box cutter *** CAREFUL*** Put them on a block of wood and cut dowward. Just don't want anyone hurt. headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
Slice'em
VOX
you guys cut them? really!? i had no idea thats what people did. we actually threw them in hot water, put them on a table vise, squeezed them partially in, once the lip goes in, took them off the vise, smacked the metal side with a hammer/mallet and it popped into place.
Eric_Shea
Talking about different bushings VOX...
euro911
Yep, these are the bushings that go around the torsion bar at each side, not the drop-link bushings. Still waiting for the drop-link bushings ... hoping to pick those up sometime this coming week.

Just need to get the torsion bar bushings installed so we can reinstall the fuel tank. I can install the drop-links at a future date.

Thanks for the answers ... beerchug.gif
VOX
oh ok, sorry for the mistake. i should take a look at mines and see if they need to be replaced as well.
Dave_Darling
I did not slice 'em. I pushed the square end of the bar through the bushing. It was a little tough but not absurdly so.

--DD
Eric_Shea
I honestly don't know how that's possible Dave. Are you sure?
euro911
Yeah confused24.gif ... the old adage "you can't fit a square peg in a round hole" comes to mind shades.gif
Dave_Darling
I am fairly sure I did. The bushings are somewhat elastic, so they deform. I remember it not being all that easy, though.

--DD
luskesq
The Pelican site says in part in the section on the sway bar bushings: "Note: Front Cup Bushings must be slit on one side to fit around bar."

Keith
euro911
I didn't order them from their on-line catalog, so I didn't read any notes about their installation ... I just called Glenn and let him know what I needed. I should go the their tech article site to see if they have a 'How To' posted idea.gif

I'll probably 'slit' them as recommended. Thanks ...

EDIT

They DO have a tech article: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ont_swaybar.htm

But get this ... they don't say anything about 'slitting' the bushings - they state they pushed the bar through them blink.gif

"After you have installed the mounts for the sway bar, you then need to install the bar itself. If I remember correctly, it was very difficult to get the bar into the bushings. You basically need to attach the mounts that sandwich the bushing to either side of the car, and then slide the bar through. Leave the nuts pretty loose, as you don't want to compress the bushing while you're sliding the bar through. Luckily, you can put the bar through the bushing on one side before you install it on the car. It's a wise idea to use new bushings for this process, because once the bar is in, it is difficult to take out. This process is a pain because the diameter of the end of the bar is bigger than the bar itself. Once you have the bar through both sets of bushings and mounted to the car, then tighten the mounts."
jesiv
They are split from the factory

Click to view attachment

Regards

James
jesiv
These are available from Porsche now for $15

Click to view attachment

Regards

James
Scott S
Is this the same process for aftermarket (Weltmeister) sway bar bushings?
euro911
If they look like they're gonna be tough getting past the ends, maybe so confused24.gif

I'm waiting on the new and improved adjustable arms from dfelz (and the winter season) to install everything popcorn[1].gif
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 22 2012, 11:19 PM) *

I am fairly sure I did. The bushings are somewhat elastic, so they deform. I remember it not being all that easy, though.

--DD

I didn't slice mine either and didn't find it all that hard (nor all that easy) to get over the square end.
YMMV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.