Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chassis stiffening kit patterns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mikea100
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 23 2012, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 23 2012, 06:51 PM) *
I believe that Clay is pointing out that you are putting yourself at risk by welding galvanized steel. It puts out some seriously nasty fumes.

agree.gif

Thank you for the concern, but I do all my welding outside with fan, so ventilation is very good (needless to say that I don't use gas dry.gif ). I don't want to sound argumentative, but I have heard of the health hazards of welding galvanized and did a rather extensive research on the topic. I've read about flu like symptoms and such, but there is no definitive and conclusive evidence of permanent health risk. If you know of any research articles to the contrary, I would love to read them. My second point is that Restoration Design - a premier provider of sheet metal panels - uses galvanneal steel. I asked Peter that question, here's the thread, page #3, posts #3 and #4
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ea100&st=40

And my last point is how they fix body panels of modern day galvanized cars. I realize that some panels are glued, riveted etc., but there must be some welding done.
Also, take a look at content of weld thru primers, they consist of 93-95% zinc. I just purchased Engman kit and it came with weld thru primer as well which I think is a great idea.
mikea100
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 23 2012, 10:25 PM) *

Put a bar between the firewall and the rear suspension ear, then reinforce the rear suspension mounting points, where the trailing arm shims go. Thats #1 and #2 for the most weak points in the body on the rear.

Any pictures of that setup?

Search for Heim rods. To the best of my knowledge, Chris Foley from Tangerine Racing pioneered them.

http://tangerineracing.com/
John
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 23 2012, 12:29 PM) *

Thanks, I liked what I saw, and tell the truth, I saw the problem coming with the post. I would like to make my own engine mount, but I can see the problems with just asking for the measurements. If I do make my own, I will take my chances with my own skills. Still, it seemed like for someone wanting to do it on their own the response was a little bit large.
I plan to stick around because I need the help. At least that's what everyone says.

I could send you my drawing, but it's different from most out there. Mine does not capture the wiring harness and mine is a solid mount. I don't use the rubber 911 style mounts like a few of the others. I know its sacrilege not to buy from the mainstream member vendors. I typically fabricate my own parts.

Click to view attachment

There are by the way, patterns that have been passed around for years on such things as 914-6 engine sheet metal, 914-6 oil tank hole layout, 914-6 heater block-off plates, 914-6 oil line hooks, etc.

Once upon a time, I used to think this place (or the one before it) would have been the perfect place for a repository of knowledge with these cars. But, alas, people want to make these parts for others who either lack the skills or would rather buy parts to bolt together for their projects. Eventually, these same people who got a pattern and started a hobby business forget that they don't own these patterns and the knowledge gets lost. Unfortunate, but it is the way of things.

I still will provide the drawings of parts that I have drawn and patterns that others have sent to me. I have been known on occasion, to make parts for a fee as well.

John
I'll go out and trace mine if you really want. I too was too cheap to buy one 25+ years ago so I got out cardboard, made patterns and figured out where the pieces went. I had an old Tweeks catalog or an old Automotion, or an old Performance Products, or an old Electrodyne catalog that showed the parts. I was a poor college student at the time, and I took my cardboard patterns to a sheet metal fabricator and he helped me out (probably felt sorry for me in reality) He sold me scraps for really reasonable prices and cut out some of the parts for me.

Keep in mind that unless you remove the 4-cylinder engine mounts, not all pieces will fit.

Also keep in mind that there are better and lighter ways to reinforce the rear of a 914 and these scab plates don't address all the cracking areas that 914's experience. It is what they did once upon a time, but I'm just saying that this is not the only game in town any longer. The internet and these 914 sites offer a wealth of information and there are many pictures of some of the problem areas and approaches of how to address them.

partwerks
I see where the rod ties the two together, but not all sure where all those other parts go in the upper right hand part of the picture.
http://www.tangerineracing.com/chassis.htm

The inner and outer don't look that hard to make, but in my situation would have to have the mechanic take all that stuff loose so a person could get at it to make some patterns.
PeeGreen 914
On that kit you would be better off buying from Chris. I have priced out what he is selling here and you are saving very little in doing it yourself and it takes a lot of fab work to get it there. This kit from him is ready to go.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jan 23 2012, 11:27 PM) *

Search for Heim rods. To the best of my knowledge, Chris Foley from Tangerine Racing pioneered them.

I appreciate the credit but I'm not the pioneer of using heim rods braces to stiffen the innner consoles. However, as far as I know I'm the first to create a product using them specifically for this application in a 914, and I am the original designer of the outer console stiffening pieces which I offer.
I try very hard to provide useful products for 914s at the best possible price. I use the products I sell so I'm always seeking to make improvements.

When it comes to copying others, I see nothing wrong with making anything for one's own personal use.
I see nothing wrong with someone redesigning a product which is flawed or isn't well suited to the application, and offering as their own product.
However, I object when someone simply copies available products and sells them out of their basement at a lower price, with the sole purpose of undercutting the commercial vendor.
If someone doing legitimate business can beat me at my own game by offering a similar but improved product or substantially better pricing through their ingenuity, that's fair competition.
smile.gif
Woody
I have a complete Maddog kit if your interested. Im not going to use it. PM me if you're interested.
mikea100
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jan 24 2012, 12:42 AM) *

On that kit you would be better off buying from Chris.

+1 on buying it from Chris. His kits are more complicated and therefore difficult to fabricate correctly.

As far as engine mount is concerned - Rich Johnson (a914guy) is your guy. Your other choices are PatrickMotorsports and maddog, but their stuff is not as good as Rich's, at least from what I've read.
worn
I have to weigh in here being a perfesser doing real tox studies. I did a VERY quick medline search and found that zinc welding is associated with metal fume fever (MFF). Which is as you say flu like and associated with an inflammatory response. It sounds like if you are consistently upwind of the fumes you would be OK. (The kind of OK I am while spraying 2-part urethane paint with supplied air and still feeling a bit of a cough - not really OK.) Most of the studies involve people who do this a lot, especially in asia. With that said I saw a few serious case studies including a case of meningitis, which might have been coincidental. That wouldn't stop me from working with the stuff, but then I am an IDIOT. Be cautious.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.