Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chassis stiffening kit patterns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
partwerks
Would anyone happen to have paper drawings/pattern for making the plates for the chassis stiffening kit that I could use to copy over to the sheet metal to make the plates?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Chassi...=item1c22d5af47
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 21 2012, 05:06 PM) *

Would anyone happen to have paper drawings/pattern for making the plates for the chassis stiffening kit that I could use to copy over to the sheet metal to make the plates?

For the time involved and the fact that your taking some ones effort- why not simply pay for it.... dry.gif
scotty b

How about you tell us all how to do your job so we dont have to spend our money having you do it ?
bandjoey
i think what they're saying is there are several loyal world vendors here that sell the parts prefabed at a fair price.... I'm sure others will post some links for you.

popcorn[1].gif
JRust
I happen to know he has a chassis kit already? Maybe he just worded this wrong confused24.gif Pretty sure he has the full engman kit
sean_v8_914
I dont make mine anything like that kit on ebay . those are just scab plates. they worked OK on a factory raced car that only had to last a few races before they threw it away.
let me get this straight: you want an experienced fabricator that spent all his time to get it right to share his templates? for free?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(396 @ Jan 21 2012, 08:16 PM) *

For the time involved and the fact that your taking some ones effort- why not simply pay for it.... dry.gif

especially at that ebay price

not that I'd want to use that kit at any price rolleyes.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 21 2012, 05:29 PM) *

How about you tell us all how to do your job so we dont have to spend our money having you do it ?

I thought this web site existed to help people. I can pay someone to tune my car or I can ask here how to do it and do it myself. I can pay a body shop to paint my car or I can ask someone here on 914 World how to do it and paint it myself. I can pay a welder to do some re-enforcing on my car, or I can ask someone on this web site how to do it and weld it up myself. Quite often someone here will ask for help with something because they simply can't afford to pay someone. Or maybe they just enjoy doing it their ownself.
partwerks
I can get all the sheet metal and punch or drill the holes or put any bends required. I don't happen to have the patterns is all, if need be I take and make patterns directly off the car. I just thought it would be easier if someone had the patterns on paper that I could trace off the shape of the plates rather than me crawling under there and making templates out of card board or something.

Maybe I don't even need the chassis kit, since I already have the Engman kit??
Eric_Shea
you want an experienced fabricator that spent all his time to get it right to share his templates? for free?

Lest we forget... These are all copies of the original. That experienced fabricator (Porsche Race Dept.) has been ripped off by all of the other so called experienced fabricators for years... Just say'n. wink.gif

That said... It's cheaper to just buy a kit than it is to scab one out yourself.
URY914
I have the the kit minus two pieces but you can make missing the two missing ones. I'm willing to sell it for $50 plus shipping. The surface rust is minor and can be handsanded off.

Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 21 2012, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 21 2012, 05:29 PM) *

I thought this web site existed to help people. I can pay someone to tune my car or I can ask here how to do it and do it myself. I can pay a body shop to paint my car or I can ask someone here on 914 World how to do it and paint it myself. I can pay a welder to do some re-enforcing on my car, or I can ask someone on this web site how to do it and weld it up myself. Quite often someone here will ask for help with something because they simply can't afford to pay someone. Or maybe they just enjoy doing it their ownself.

It does, and asking for help is quite a bit different then asking for a copy of a set of someone elses plans, particularly when the plans are for sale for a mere 25.00 IMHO if you have the money, time, ability and skills to make and weld in the plates properly, then you should be able to make your own cardboard patterns as well. If making the patterns is to hard for him then how in the hell does he expect to be able to fabricate and install the pieces confused24.gif

Now on the other hand, if some member here made his own templeates and offerd them to the community for free, I have no problem there. But in this instance he is blatantly ( including a link straight to said product ) asking for someone elses work for free through a back door channel. I also have no problem if someone sat at home and made his own pieces instead of buying a pre made kit.

Maybe it's just the lack of tact that made this post offensive to some of us
partwerks
PM sent.
kfish914
I think I know why I never got respnses to some of my simple questions for help around the wiring of my car. I didn't offer to pay for it.

I thought seriously that this site was for all of us to help each other out…. Yes I understand that someone spent time and money to make the patterns (Porsche) and every one’s time is worth money, no problem with that.

Obviously he has spent money with a member vendor so he doesn’t have a problem doing that.
I think it would have been better if you just said,…yes they are available at ???? for $25.00.
Instead of flaming the poor guy for asking for help. Unfortunately this happens all the time. We are all not professional mechanics, body men or paint guys. However we ALL LOVE these cars and take pride in doing the “work” first hand.

Maybe I am out of line here but it is just MHO

And yes, I put my flame suit on already because if history repeats itself I will be flamed shortly.
J P Stein
As Slick points out, back in the day Porsche built new race cars *for one race under the factory banner* then sold them to customers.
I recall reading Jeff Zewart's(sp?) tale of a rally from (IIRC) Mexico to Alaska having to stop for welding repairs a few times to fix cracks outside of the "stiffening kit" on his 914-6GT.

Personally, I never used the fishing lure but managed without one.
Elliot Cannon
Maybe it's just the lack of tact that made this post offensive to some of us

A lack of tact on more than one post. Some people can transfer their thoughts to the written word accurately. Some have trouble doing it. It's a lot easier for most to ask for something face to face than asking in writing. Written words are interpreted in many different ways. It's hard to read a post and know exactly what the person is thinking. Sometimes it gets intepreted wrong and the wrong conlusions are jumped to. I'm sure this post will be thought of in many different ways. happy11.gif
Dr Evil
I dont appreciate your tone, Ellyut! mad.gif
Dr Evil
I understand Scotty's initial problem with the question asked, but I think Ellyut hit it on the head. If you have seen Loyd's (partwerks) posts, he does not represent himself in prose like some of us. Older gentlemen seem to have this problem. Hell, I am surprised that Ellyut can find the keyboard poke.gif

Scotty, relax man.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 22 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Oh yeah! What exactly do you mean by that? happy11.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 22 2012, 05:55 PM) *

Oh, I think you know, mister!

I think you are awesome jerkit.gif sheeplove.gif rolleyes.gif
JRust
I think it is overkill for you anyway Lyle. The engman kit will stiffen your car up alot. While your turbo suby setup gives you plenty of power. I don't think you will need the extra chassis stiffening too. Do the Engman kit & call it good for now. Get your tranny rebuilt, Installed & then driving.gif
partwerks
Thanks Jamie!

I was wondering if it was really necessary to do in addition to the Engman kit. I may just have him put the Engman kit in while the trans is being worked on in the mean time.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 22 2012, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 22 2012, 05:55 PM) *

Oh, I think you know, mister!

I think you are awesome jerkit.gif sheeplove.gif rolleyes.gif

Don't tease me you bitch wub.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 22 2012, 07:43 PM) *

I think it is overkill for you anyway Lyle. The engman kit will stiffen your car up alot. While your turbo suby setup gives you plenty of power. I don't think you will need the extra chassis stiffening too. Do the Engman kit & call it good for now. Get your tranny rebuilt, Installed & then driving.gif

Sorry Lyle, I have been calling you Loyd.
euro911
Listen up, Elliot, try to help me remember to give you a piece of my mind sometime during the RT-66 run IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 22 2012, 10:07 PM) *

Listen up, Elliot, try to help me remember to give you a piece of my mind sometime during the RT-66 run IPB Image

I take it you'll be driving your pick-up truck then? av-943.gif
euro911
Trying to get the ugly black car back on the road (again) shades.gif
bulitt
Anyone have a Metallica Black Album I can borrow? chair.gif

I appreciate the vendors who will take a part (like Engman) and over time working with someone (like McMark) make refinements so that it is basically a drop in piece for amateurs like me !!! I'm gonna personally support them so they stay active.
charliew
I will say almost anything fabricated can be improved on over time. But I also think it sucks that someone would want for free what another person spent a lot of time working out or improving from his long hours of designing and installing. We all need income from our efforts. Especially if the person asking cannot provide something of equal value in return. The spoken words do not cost anything so advice can be free. I would never ask someone for their engineering for free unless I could barter for it with something I could provide of value.

I make a lot of stuff and my time on earth is just as short as another person on this earth so I don't mind paying for stuff that saves me time and effort.
Eric_Shea
Seriously guys... Have you looked at the link? These a just drawings. So someone traced the factory kit that Weltmeister copied and has been selling for years and for their efforts they want to charge you $25 bucks?

So if I said... Please pay me $25 and I'll trace the outline of the factory kit that I stole the design from another guy who copied the factory kit, you'd belly up to the bar? If so... Let me get my #2 lead sharpened and open shop.

Thread to bed... I get the rub but, with regard to these parts or this FleaBay link; this is pointless.

Lyle, if I had a kit laying around, I'd trace it for you but, like I said earlier; it probably so much cheaper to grab one from Maddog in the vendor section than it would be to go through this hassle.

Pointless guys.
worn

I am new here relatively speaking, but I am really shocked at the kind of responses you are getting. It sounds like if you are part of the in club you can share things that involve intellectual property, but if you aren't known you get shown the door. As it happens it doesn't sound like there really was much bona fide owned IP involved anyway, since the product has a long lineage of tweaks and variation from its inception.

With that said I do have a suggestion. You can see where all the parts go. If you have a car, you can also make your own patterns to go to the same places - the photos are all over everywhere. I use coke 24 pack boxes as templates. They fold like the steel and snip snip you have a pattern.

They are right of course, the money is truly easier than doing it yourself. By a long shot. That is what I would do in this case. From the recent response I am thinking this list is more about buying stuff from the right people than making it yourself though. Made some enemies just now.

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 23 2012, 09:27 AM) *

Seriously guys... Have you looked at the link? These a just drawings. So someone traced the factory kit that Weltmeister copied and has been selling for years and for their efforts they want to charge you $25 bucks?

So if I said... Please pay me $25 and I'll trace the outline of the factory kit that I stole the design from another guy who copied the factory kit, you'd belly up to the bar? If so... Let me get my #2 lead sharpened and open shop.

Thread to bed... I get the rub but, with regard to these parts or this FleaBay link; this is pointless.

Lyle, if I had a kit laying around, I'd trace it for you but, like I said earlier; it probably so much cheaper to grab one from Maddog in the vendor section than it would be to go through this hassle.

Pointless guys.

agree.gif I have to say this thread is sad and a little disappointing.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 23 2012, 09:56 AM) *

I am new here relatively speaking, but I am really shocked at the kind of responses you are getting. It sounds like if you are part of the in club you can share things that involve intellectual property, but if you aren't known you get shown the door. As it happens it doesn't sound like there really was much bona fide owned IP involved anyway, since the product has a long lineage of tweaks and variation from its inception.

With that said I do have a suggestion. You can see where all the parts go. If you have a car, you can also make your own patterns to go to the same places - the photos are all over everywhere. I use coke 24 pack boxes as templates. They fold like the steel and snip snip you have a pattern.

They are right of course, the money is truly easier than doing it yourself. By a long shot. That is what I would do in this case. From the recent response I am thinking this list is more about buying stuff from the right people than making it yourself though. Made some enemies just now.

welcome.png

This thread is not a great indication of the people on here. Many will bend over backwards to help people they hardly know. Sorry you happened upon this.
Andyrew
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 22 2012, 04:52 PM) *

Thanks Jamie!

I was wondering if it was really necessary to do in addition to the Engman kit. I may just have him put the Engman kit in while the trans is being worked on in the mean time.

Engman kit is perfect. That other kit has only a couple of pieces that are actually any good. If you want to make something, put a bar between the firewall and the rear suspension ear, then reinforce the rear suspension mounting points, where the trailing arm shims go. Thats #1 and #2 for the most weak points in the body on the rear.
Eric_Shea
I am thinking this list is more about buying stuff from the right people than making it yourself though. Made some enemies just now.

welcome.png

If you're wanting to make enemies I'm sure you can but, that's not what we're about. This list has nothing to do with buying from the right people and more to do with helping each other. I don't know (Maddog) other than through the fact that his copies of the copies of the copies of the copies of the copies are the least expensive, so... again trying to help Lyle there. I've yet to see any grand changes to the design.

So, if you 1) stick around and 2) look around, you'll find a great community of guys that often help out each other at no-cost or sometimes even great cost to themselves. We love the cars. We don't try to "steer a buy". There's over 7,000 members here and we love newbies and veterans alike. Hell, we even like Slits and "Canadians!!!" And I love Madison, Wisconsin (I'll take a 1/2lb of 8 year old cheddar when you get a chance... they can't seem to get that right here in Utah).

So again...

welcome.png

...and, hang out, look around and you'll be rewarded with a rich group of friends that share a common bond.
mepstein
Eric - I've already copied your 914-6 aluminum calipers. I'm getting them made in China. Available in Swiss of Cheddar. I'm calling them P&B calipers. You've got a problem with dat?
Eric_Shea
Nada... have at it. wink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2012, 02:58 PM) *

Eric - I've already copied your 914-6 aluminum calipers. I'm getting them made in China. Available in Swiss of Cheddar. I'm calling them P&B calipers. You've got a problem with dat?

Do they also come in Shea butter?? idea.gif
worn
Thanks, I liked what I saw, and tell the truth, I saw the problem coming with the post. I would like to make my own engine mount, but I can see the problems with just asking for the measurements. If I do make my own, I will take my chances with my own skills. Still, it seemed like for someone wanting to do it on their own the response was a little bit large.
I plan to stick around because I need the help. At least that's what everyone says.
dflesburg
Good God, What is this?

the 1985 Camaro forum?

Carry on mullet bearers...

popcorn[1].gif
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 23 2012, 12:27 PM) *

If so... Let me get my #2 lead sharpened and open shop.

Wrong, wrong . . WRONG!! mad.gif

Use the 2B.

Wife herder. dry.gif
mikea100
I made my own set because I wanted it to be galvanized as all my patches and Maddog said that it'd be too expensive to cut just 1 custom set for me. If you don't needed it to be customized, then just buy it, he charges about $50 over the price of raw material (according to my calculations). Also, I enjoy metal fabrication, so I did everything myself from drawing templates to cutting metal to welding. But if you're going to pay somebody to do it, then I guess it's just easier to buy finished product.

As far as the question of what's better Engman kit or this, let me say that I have them both (Engman not yet installed). I know a guy who has Engman kit installed and he says that it didn't do much for him, which is not what the majority on this board thinks though.

Just my .02
Eric_Shea
If I do make my own, I will take my chances with my own skills. Still, it seemed like for someone wanting to do it on their own the response was a little bit large.

Probably the same thing. Most are copies of the original Velious mount so, copies of copies of copies at this point. And... I think the same would apply, probably cheaper to buy one but, if you enjoy cranking it out yourself, have at it.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jan 23 2012, 02:58 PM) *

I made my own set because I wanted it to be galvanized as all my patches and Maddog said that it'd be too expensive to cut just 1 custom set for me. If you don't needed it to be customized, then just buy it, he charges about $50 over the price of raw material (according to my calculations). Also, I enjoy metal fabrication, so I did everything myself from drawing templates to cutting metal to welding. But if you're going to pay somebody to do it, then I guess it's just easier to buy finished product.

As far as the question of what's better Engman kit or this, let me say that I have them both (Engman not yet installed). I know a guy who has Engman kit installed and he says that it didn't do much for him, which is not what the majority on this board thinks though.

Just my .02

You were welding galvanized steel???? WTF.gif
mikea100
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 23 2012, 06:06 PM) *

Just my .02

Yes, I did both galvanized and galvanneal. All Porsches from 77 going forward are galvanized.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Jan 23 2012, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 23 2012, 06:06 PM) *

Just my .02

Yes, I did both galvanized and galvanneal. All Porsches from 77 going forward are galvanized.

I believe that Clay is pointing out that you are putting yourself at risk by welding galvanized steel. It puts out some seriously nasty fumes. At a minimum, you need to grind off any galvanizing on and around your welds. For the stiffening kit, that would pretty much be all of it.

Or you could just hold your breath the whole time welder.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 23 2012, 06:51 PM) *
I believe that Clay is pointing out that you are putting yourself at risk by welding galvanized steel. It puts out some seriously nasty fumes.

agree.gif
partwerks
Put a bar between the firewall and the rear suspension ear, then reinforce the rear suspension mounting points, where the trailing arm shims go. Thats #1 and #2 for the most weak points in the body on the rear.

Any pictures of that setup?
Haudiosolutions
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 23 2012, 03:34 PM) *

Good God, What is this?

the 1985 Camaro forum?

Carry on mullet bearers...

popcorn[1].gif

LOVE IT! aktion035.gif
Chris Hamilton
There are a TON of parts for 914s that are copies of the original parts from the 70's. This is one of those cases.

This isn't intellectual property. It doesn't belong to anyone. If it had been patented ( or patent-able ) by Porsche when it was new the patent would be expired by now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.