Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Angle Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
When I dug out the old seal there was rubber both above and below this ring. Was it part of the old seal? Or, should be removed. If so how? It"s tighter than socks on a rooster, as it is now.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
McMark
Pull it out. There should be nothing but aluminum.
windforfun
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 22 2012, 05:15 PM) *

So why is it there?
76-914

Any suggestions? It seems solid when I tap on it.
Scott S
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2012, 09:15 AM) *

Any suggestions? It seems solid when I tap on it.

I just did this last month. I also thought it was part of the casing - it's not. I was a bi+ch to get out. I finally deformed the inner edge enough to get it to pull free from the aluminum. I did have to free it all the way around. I thought that once one area came away from the aluminum, the thing would come out easily. It was like it was litterally bonded all the way around. Not fun - and I was (and still am) a bit concerned I may have scratched the inner bore. We'll see.....

Mine was also blue aaround the outside like yours - I am guessing in my case the PO permatexed the thing in.

Good Luck beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
It is there to make sure oil does not migrate down the shaft. It is a PITA to change :/
jflash914
Doc,
Is there even an O ring seal you can buy or do you have to improvise?
BTW it was fun meeting you yesterday. It was a long trip for one day.
Jack
Dr Evil
There is a new seal. I dont have the part # handy. I may have one available in my stash.

Great meeting you and your Pops yesterday. I wish we could have BSed all afternoon, but I know you had a long 6hr drive back home. smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 22 2012, 04:56 PM) *

When I dug out the old seal there was rubber both above and below this ring. Was it part of the old seal? Or, should be removed. If so how? It"s tighter than socks on a rooster, as it is now.

So which gets used the most? The digital calipers or the ball peen hammer? laugh.gif
76-914
QUOTE(jflash914 @ Jan 23 2012, 08:30 AM) *

Doc,
Is there even an O ring seal you can buy or do you have to improvise?
BTW it was fun meeting you yesterday. It was a long trip for one day.
Jack

Call Jonathen @ GPR. He's got the seal and the oring or save ygourself the trouble and order one of McMarks units ready for installation.
Drums66
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 22 2012, 04:56 PM) *

......Grab it by the spurs, & pull it out(it should come out) poke.gif
bye1.gif
SirAndy

agree.gif

Pull it all out. I'm pretty sure that's just part of the old seal that came apart when you tried to remove it.

No additional o-ring there, just the new seal itself. I have a thread somewhere with part-numbers ...

chowtime.gif
76-914
Here's the thread that Andy mentioned. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50540

Anyway, check this out. I finally got those little bastards out. I used a nail set and hammer. The divots give it a bearing look. But it's true. It is a war and if I did not have a couple of extra ones drives I would never had been so rough on them. biggrin.gif You can see that the one on the right still has some of the blue plastic around it.
Click to view attachment

You can see where the plastic is separating from the metal ring. Which BTW, is definatly part of the seal.

Click to view attachment
McMark
Yeah, I made a special tool to take them out. wink.gif
Bob L.
Hi there,

I have just realized that my angle drive is bad. If I push the rotating parts inward in the angle drive the gears will connect and turn. Will replacing the seal help this, or only the leak?
Thanks.
McMark
The angle drive is a separate piece that is non-repairable.

If you have removed the angle drive from the speedo drive, and there is still a disconnect, it's toast. They are available new. I have a few good used ones.
Bob L.
O.K. It's toast. How much for one of your used ones? (McMark) or should I just go to AA? My speedo cable looks kinked near where it connects to the angle drive. Should I change it as long as I'm at it. Or, as long as it works...leave it.

Thanks. Hijack over!
76-914
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jan 26 2012, 07:41 AM) *

O.K. It's toast. How much for one of your used ones? (McMark) or should I just go to AA? My speedo cable looks kinked near where it connects to the angle drive. Should I change it as long as I'm at it. Or, as long as it works...leave it.

Thanks. Hijack over!

Hi jack allowed. Your from my hometown biggrin.gif . I would by one of McMarks. He has modified them to accept an additional O ring. Should reduce axial play and last longer.
Bob L.
Hi jack allowed. Your from my hometown biggrin.gif . I would by one of McMarks. He has modified them to accept an additional O ring. Should reduce axial play and last longer.

Appreciate it!
O.K. I'll bite. Does it come w/ the extra O ring?
Whats the vig on one of those, McMark? Paypal?
McMark
Here's the info on the speedo drive mod. I can add an angle drive for $20.
Bob L.
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 27 2012, 12:30 AM) *

Here's the info on the speedo drive mod. I can add an angle drive for $20.

Sorry, My confusion.
I thought we were referring to mod's to the "angle drive". That's all I need, no leaks- yet. Is it more since that's all I need?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.