Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T/O bearings continued.. Did I get the right thing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dan10101
Sooo... Recieved my T/O bearing yesterday... Today Im trying to put it in.. We... As you can see. its exactly the same as the stock one. Did I tell the lady at KEP the wrong thing?? I told her its for a 901 trani, for use on a v8 with their KEP clutch/pressure plate package.

What to do?
dan10101
Pressure plate..
Brad Roberts
See if the fingers line up perfectly with the stocker they sent.

That old school pressure plate may use a stock throwout bearing.

2700lb ?? Your clutch tube will hate you and your left leg will be bigger than your right leg.

B
Martin Baker
In the process of fixing my clutch tube right now from a DUMP TRUCK Type clutch in my poor little 914. How much clutch does one need in a 1900-2100 pound car...I could see it in a BIG BLOCK CHEVELLE Drag Car ( Heavy car with a ton of HP). Shouldn't race cars should be fast and comfortable while driving them? I have that in mind for my GT Replica...
Andyrew
Brad, I know my clutch tube will hate me.. but my cable will hate me even more.. Its going to snap... alot....

Therefore, Im going to go with a hydrolic clutch.... (within the year... when budget permits... Im guessing about 500 bucks for a DIYer like myself... you know.. the most cheap ass person on the plannet... getting away with a v8 conversion for $1500 total)
Andyrew
Oh ya.. I have a "clutch throw extender".. attatches to the clutch pedal or something.... I think that will help with the hard clutch pedal or something... I dono..
Brad Roberts
Save yourself the headache NOW and buy a new clutch assembly BEFORE you assemble this setup.

I really really wish you would have told me about the clutch arm extender... this would have ended this thread and the others many moons ago.

The extender does away with the need for the thicker KEP throw out bearing. The problem is: whether or not you have enough room for the throw out bearing arm to fully move back before hitting the case.

It sounds like you have everything you need to make it happen.

B
neo914-6
Andy or Dan,
Can you post a pic of the clutch extender?

Brad,
I've been looking into full clutch/adapter choices for my bigger engine. I need to confirm specs and pricing. So far my choices for the 901 are:

KEP: stage IV PP, custom 228 flywheel, ? disk, adapter, gear red starter. KEP can make a custom flywheel to work with my Jaide set up.

Renegade HIGH PERFORMANCE 9" CLUTCH UPGRADE: 2500# pressure plate, custom made billet flywheel, kevlar clutch disc, starter

Simpson: 215mm: includes stage 2 sachs pressure plate, Kevlar disc, throw-out bearing, and 911SC starter

Felix
dan10101
The extender that we have isn't for the clutch fork. Its on the pedal assembly.

It looks like time for clutch reevaluation... confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
OK.. Back in the day. They sold a throttle arm extender that went on the pedal assembly.

Dan,

Call me at the shop on Monday so I can call KEP and get this sorted for you.

650-364-6234

How did the conversation with KEP go ?? Did you tell them it was a Green 2700lb 3 finger pressure plate on a 215mm flywheel ??

B
Brad Roberts
Felix,

From what I gather (done 3 lately) Renegade is just reselling the KEP flywheel/pp and selling their own kevlar style disc.

KEP doesnt "rate" their pressure plates anymore. That is why they call them "stage..blah blah"

B
Brad Roberts
Dan,

I'm concerned about this for one reason: Very early in my conversion carreer I had a very powerful V8 914 customer car that would smoke clutch after clutch... it finally came down to the wrong throwout bearing. I want yours to be correct the first time. No guessing. No questions. With the wrong throw out bearing you can adjust the clutch to disengage but it would NOT disengage completely. It will slip.

B
dan10101
Heres the clutch throw extender.

And yes, my other pedal assymbly is rebuilt....
dan10101
pic...
Brad Roberts
Yes. That is how they are getting away with the stock style throw out bearing. Put it together.

B
dan10101
Brad, I told them it was for a 901 trani to their 215mm clutch/pressure plate assymbly.

I am starting school tomorrow.. I'll see if dad can give you a call around lunch tomorrow.
dan10101
Alright, I'll put it together..

I'll be blocking off the secondary's for a while for this engine till I get used to the power, and other stuff...

Thanks Brad. beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
That is "RootBeer" correct ??LOL

Your bag is MIA. I owe you money.

B
neo914-6
KEP doesnt "rate" their pressure plates anymore. That is why they call them "stage..blah blah"

Yeah, they quoted me a stage IV but their website only lists up to III. How do you feel about the Kevlar discs?

KEP said they can make a custom PP for my Jaide so I can keep the Chevy starter...
Brad Roberts
Stay away from the Kevlar discs. I just pulled another one out. I dont like the way they GRAB when you let off the clutch. I want smooth engagement like EVERY car sold today with a standard tranny. I really dont see the benefit. I'm all for technology... but it had better work.

Your options should be wide open with your setup. Go 228 stage III organic disc.

B
Andyrew
Brad, Thats ok, you dont owe me any money. Heck I completely forgot about that stupid thing! lol.

A nice window sticker (to hide my window crack... yes, going to get a new one later..) would be good nuf considering all the help you've given me and the rest of the people here.

beerchug.gif

Its a root beer float... theres way to much fizz at the top for it to be just plain root beer.. Heck the fizz is staying as well.. nother reason...
Mueller
semi-hyjack smile.gif

Hey Brad,

did you order my conversion parts? do I need the special T/O bearing with the pressure plate I am buying from you??
Brad Roberts
Your are receiving a "kit" Mikey. Should be here mid next week. I'm not sure which throwout bearing we will get. She just said it was part of the kit.

B
Andyrew
"Have mikey try the VR6 conversion, he'll try anything!" "Hey I think he likes it!"

Sorry... That just reminded me of Life cereal...

laugh.gif
Rider914
I once used this same used P Plate (green) from page 1. I burned disks yearly. The thing would not hold the torque. . .

Then I traded it in to Kennedy for their new stage 3 with metalic pucks. No slip - the 315 35 zr 17's on the rear will.

Yes, the metalic is an on / off switch. Big change from the sorta on sorta off switch that it was. I am ok with the chatter.

I don't remember the exact price, but it wasn't much if you trade in the old one. Much easier to press the petal in, and you dont wear out t.o. bearings as quickly with the huge force required to press that green one in.
Rider914
... And the other reason for the Metalics, I have a bit of 20w 50 "rust preventer" leaks. The metalic disk will just burn it up and grip. The old 3 finger P Plate would wallow when it slipped and would leave some parts of the clutch disk worn more than others, and yes, I torqued it down carefully. Kennedy says that this is very critical. . .
dan10101
One of our benifactors sold us a flywheel that he used with a kevlar disk. With only a few hundered miles on it, the flywheel is heat spotted. Light usage, normal HP V8.
dan10101
I forgot to add why the post. He was concerned about the heat spots and wanted to know if the Kevlar disks cause them.

I would like to know if it can be salvaged. If so, the crank pattern is smaller than our other flywheel. Won't fit our 74-82ish 350. Could it be a later crank bolt pattern?
Brad Roberts
Turn it just like you would any other flywheel. It is for a later model engine..

B
bondo
Brad: nevermind about the kevlar disk I've been semi-bugging you about... I don't want grab.

Dan/Andrew: Think that flywheel would fit a much later crank? (1993 LT1) If so, I'd be interested in buying it if you wanted to sell it. (if it takes a 228mm clutch)
Andyrew
Bondo, its already spoken for... But if that guy falls through when I mention price.. (which btw I have no clue...) Then I'll gladly sell it to you. But he spoke up about it 2 weeks ago so he has first bids... I have the P plate for it and clutch for the 901... Any idea's on price?

Andrew
bondo
Kennedy quoted me a bit over $500 for a flywheel, stage III pressure plate and disk. I don't know what the breakdown was though. Dunno what it's worth used. Resurfacing and balancing the flywheel will probably cost close to $100. Just resurfacing would be much less, but if any significant amount is taken off it should probably be balanced. Are the heat marks just discoloration or does it have tiny cracks? (you might need to use a dye to see the cracks) I have seen a flywheel with cracks on the surface, and after machining they were gone, but I'm sure they had to take off quite a bit.
rey
Hey Guy's,

beerchug.gif This is interesting to me cuz I'm looking for the set up to mate a sbc 283 to my 901 would this be considered an early fly vw wheel . What parts should I be looking for . confused24.gif
I need all the basic things. like adapter plate, clutch which type , basically every thing. Thanks for the Help. This BBS is fantastic.
Thanks again.
Andyrew
The clutch pressure plate and flywheel has like 300 miles on it... So I doubt there are any cracks...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.