Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you dont know the right way...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
Here's an example of what not to do. This guy came to me and said his wheels didnt fit right on his car and he has a vibration at higher speeds. He also said he did his own 5-lug conversion.
For those of you who dont have the right tools to do this dont do it. Also use quality parts too. The carnage is below.
736conver
Cheap wheel studs.....Looks like Bug Pack strikes again
736conver
These were then Hammer in.
736conver
Heres his way of countersinking.
736conver
He use a hand drill to make this. They werent straight and the holes were not milled right for the studs to sit flush. Here is the correct way to do it. Dont mind the piece of bearing still on the hub.
Brad Roberts
Come on... everyone is trying to save a buck or two... laugh.gif It takes 5 minutes to do it right. It takes 5 hours to fix it when it is wrong.

[B]
736conver
Not only that, he's out the whole $2.95 or whatever he spent on studs. wink.gif

Plus new bearings at $35 a pop.

Didnt save a dime. Cost more in the long run.
Aaron Cox
are the hubs really strong enuff for the studs to hold without any additional bossed or hub thickness? i had a set and they were way to thin to put studs on IMHO without any sort of backing/boss
Brad Roberts
This is why I get BIG money for the early rear hubs with the raised bosses for 5 lug. It has both patterns cast into it. I stopped counting how many conversion cars have loose rear studs because of the thin material.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 29 2004, 01:01 PM)
This is why I get BIG money for the early rear hubs with the raised bosses for 5 lug. It has both patterns cast into it. I stopped counting how many conversion cars have loose rear studs because of the thin material.

B

I figure I can sell my rear hubs and oil tank and get enuff to retire.....plan A.

Plan B is work till I die......
markb
Damn, my plan A is your plan B.... sad.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 29 2004, 08:59 PM)
Damn, my plan A is your plan B.... sad.gif

whats ur plan b? lol2.gif

play the lotto until your broke? biggrin.gif
redshift
I haven't even made plans..

unsure.gif

M
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 29 2004, 05:01 PM)

Yup, I actually switched from the thin hubs to the early hubs with the raised bosses. Just piece of mind.

dr
McMark
What about...

1. Machine off all bosses on the late style hub to get a nice flat circle.
2. Get a ring made of steel that you can then weld onto the newly machined surface.
3. Drill your holes and install your lugs in your new 360 degree thick hub.

Well?
Brad Roberts
30lbs of rotating mass... We actually had a set of those floating around the shop. They weigh a ton when you are done.

B
SirAndy
or, you could just get a set of these ...

wink.gif Andy
McMark
Spoken like a racer. bootyshake.gif
watsonrx13
Brad, Andy's showing off again. (hahahahaha) biggrin.gif
eeyore
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 29 2004, 02:01 PM)

B

For re-drilled (and studded?) early model hubs, how many places to the left of the decimal point are we talking about filling?

Is installing converted 5 lug hubs a 'simple' (250 ft/lb) bolt on? If so, then I wouldn't need to source new stub axles, rotors, and calipers or worry about the parking brake issue either.
McMark
Anyone have a set of late 4 lug hubs they don't need? I can't stop thinking about my idea, but don't have any spares to cut on. PM me.
i love porsche
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 29 2004, 01:01 PM)

B

how early are you talking about?....71?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.