Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxter Transaxle in a Teener?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Hinds
Has anyone use the boxter tranny in a teener? I'm wondering too about the gears and strength for a V8 application.
DBCooper
The expert: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=109434&hl=

Just leave out the Subaru parts.
Dave_Darling
It's been done; there is a member on the Pelican 914 BBS who had a shop transplant a Boxster trans onto the 3.2 in his 914. He said it cost more than the original conversion, but that it shifted very well.

--DD
Rand
Seems like there was a very nice red 914 with a Boxster tranny.... I remember pics from a few years ago on here. Maybe the same one DD is referring to.

I think his screen name was ABC914. Time for a search...
Rand
I found a couple pics of the red car. Gotta be a thread somewhere.
SUNAB914
That car is goergeous, hell I can't even spell it right now!
a914622
I know it can be done BUT, For a V8 I would put a subaru (2010-2012) Diesel 6 speed in. Good low rpms and new they are only 3600.00. Plus the diesel suby cluch is rated at 350 flb stock on a push style.

Not sure of the boxster. But then again there is the tdi audi from euro that would have the lower gearing and look just like the boxster??

Just saying..

Jcl
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 27 2012, 05:15 PM) *

I know it can be done BUT, For a V8 I would put a subaru (2010-2012) Diesel 6 speed in. Good low rpms and new they are only 3600.00. Plus the diesel suby cluch is rated at 350 flb stock on a push style.

Not sure of the boxster. But then again there is the tdi audi from euro that would have the lower gearing and look just like the boxster??

Just saying..

Jcl

Higher gearing and wider gear sets are what's needed for a v8
a914622
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jan 27 2012, 08:36 PM) *

Just saying..

Jcl

Higher gearing ? Meaning higher rpms? I know there are audi v6 diesels putting 450 flb to the ground tuned. Lots of tork to push thru a tranny. Youd have to have a 500 hp gasser to get that kind of tork. What hp are the boxters putting out?

I remember seeing an artical about the boxter trannys using a sealed bearing that was failing at 20k miles. The fix was a rebuild and unseal it so the tranny oil could lub the bearings.
Jake Raby
I've got a spare Boxster S 6 speed...

Stock Boxster engines make a max of 230RWHP unless the car is a 2006 or newer.

The Boxster S engine from the factory its rated at 250P, on my chassis dyno we see 220-230RWHP from these on a routine basis.

But we have reconstructed Boxter engines to make 300RWHP without issue. If you want the tranny just let me know. 2K takes it, 43,000 miles.
Steve
Who makes the tranny mounts for the Subaru or Boxster trans that fits the 914?
rohar
I just made my first tranny mount for the Boxster/Audi tranny. Walk in the park if you've got a welder.

Anyone know what starter precisionchassis used in the link DBCooper provided?

While I was on the Left side of the state, this week, I picked up a couple of bags of refractory for the new foundry. Casting bellhousings is a possibility by spring. biggrin.gif

Oh, and for you V8 guys, there are some REALLY tall Audi trannies out there that are virtually identical to the boxster tranny.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 27 2012, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jan 27 2012, 08:36 PM) *

Just saying..

Jcl

Higher gearing ? Meaning higher rpms? I know there are audi v6 diesels putting 450 flb to the ground tuned. Lots of tork to push thru a tranny. Youd have to have a 500 hp gasser to get that kind of tork. What hp are the boxters putting out?

I remember seeing an artical about the boxter trannys using a sealed bearing that was failing at 20k miles. The fix was a rebuild and unseal it so the tranny oil could lub the bearings.

"Higher" gearing means more MPH with fewer RPMs, not the other way around.

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Diesel box with taller gearing would be ideal for a V8. I agree. Where do we find these?
rohar
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2012, 09:27 AM) *

Diesel box with taller gearing would be ideal for a V8. I agree. Where do we find these?

The Audi 01x from the European only A6 TDI FWD is the go to. It's virtually indestructible. The kit car guys love it. There's a guy in texas that imported a bunch of them and sells them. I think he wanted over $2k each. The second option is the 012 code WW0 tranny. It was initially designed for a FWD audi diesel in the mid '90s but was later used on FWD audi 12v V6s in the states. There's a bunch of them available cheep (I bought mine for $300 with a perfectly good engine attached to it) and will take you to 150mph at 6000rpm.
precisionchassis
There are a few companies that make adapter kits (including Kennedy) to mate an LS motor to the 996/986 S transaxle. Both transaxles are basically the same with the exception of mid/rear engine configurations. Ultima uses the 996 version in their kit cars and invert it for mid-engine use with better CV/axle geometry.

Both transaxles use G50 differentials and G50 style parts, but the main shaft/gears are an interference fit rather than splined which could be the limiting factor in the horsepower department.

I'll be pumping 400whp through the Boxster version (G86/20) and 360ft/lb with the Subaru engine. I'll find out exactly where the limit is soon enough I'm sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.