Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thinking of selling not sure if it's worth it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I have a some serious interest from a publication to feature my car. I would like to really turn the wick up on the quality and performance before I share my vision with the world any further.

I need to fund a major rebuild over the winter. I need to buy a bunch of stuff. I was thinking of the Mueller stuff, the "H" gear mod, sway bars, turbo tie rods, new struts, could use a set of beefed axles, a J West shift thing, and some of the Morphen carpet and stuff. I have basically a working mule car. I have over 2000 miles since I trailered the car to the WCC. I don't think I babied the car either. I handed Rob Ways the keys for the AX, he asked what he could rev the motor to, I told him the tac doesn't work Just listen to the motor it will let you know when to back off! The problem I had with the motor I think was my fault.

Here's my thought. If I were to make up some parts would anyone be interested in purchasing parts to do a conversion or have me build a car for them? I was thinking of starting a conversion Business like Renegade. I'm not sure I want to get into this as a full on Business just fund and develop my own car. Anyone interested in purchasing my car as a finished build with the stipulation I get to keep the car and show for a year or somthing? (kidding happy11.gif )

Any of you guy's doing a ma & pa business really making any money doing it?

Anyone have any experience raising money for a magazine/ show car?

Anyone ever have a magazine car? Anyone ever been paid to feature their car?

Anyone with any idea's? If you don't want to post here PM me.

Thanks,

assimilate.gif
Brad Roberts
Ask the vendors for free parts. There was a kid who had a convertable 914 that he was going to "show" He talked about 20+ vendors out of free stuff for his car. Some of it was BIG ticket items. He showed them the dates of the event he was going to attend and they handed over "sponsor" parts... I never saw the car... but I saw the parts he received.

Do this on the side...Like Rich Johnson does. You cannot feed your family on 914's alone.... ask me..

B
rick 918-S
I have a job that consumes my life. All of you WCC attendees witnessed the overwhelming interest by the Porsche community at Sunday's event. I hardly had time for lunch. Believe me I enjoyed every minute of it! My car is definitely headed for the pages of at least one more Publication. I have plans to attend all the WCC events next year among other things.

I don't want to start a full time business. You all know I do what I say. I proved that.

I like the sponsor Idea. Anyone want to go along for the ride?
skline
I had a car in 79 and 80 that was featured in 2 magazines and was on a school type notebook cover. They paid me $50.00 for the rights to use the picture. That was all I ever got out of it. The magazines took pictures at a show and I didnt even know. Back then I guess it didnt matter. I also had a few van conversions I built and showed featured in magazines and got nothing for that either except my ideas used in other vans. I have to agree with Brad, its not a business to feed the family.
Carrera916
Rich,

I used to do total restoration work on 356s, 911s, RS60, Spyders & 914s....i still can not support my family that way alone and currently ended up being an auto body instructor at a school with very strong vocational program....just to support my family and with any luck of sideline jobs, I used the money to do my own 914...and the car is still not done!

I saw your car at the WWC and wished I had talk to you more about your car but there were "thousand" of drooling dudes all over you at that time so I backed out a bit...and looked over your car....is there a demand out there for others to dupicate a car like yours? I dunno and I doubt it....however, I could be wrong...I was very interested in doing something like yours for myself...but again, mooola speaks!!!

Like Brad had said, do the the conversion work or sell your pieces on the side may be the way to go......and ask vendors for their parts in exchange for the free "advertising exposures" of their product in a magazine sounds like a great idea....I wished I had thought of that long time ago!!

as for the magazine deals, I have no idea and but one thing I can be sure of, Pano wouldn't pay anybody for the stories of someone's car on their rags...soo as for other rags, i'm not sure...

However, I do want to comment this....your car is something...worth something to talk about....and getting the "free" products in exchange for free advertisment on a rag is a very attractive idea and sounds very do-able....so check it out with the magazines & product vendors....

good luck & keep us post.... aktion035.gif

jerry
rick 918-S
I don't think I can endure another winter like last year. My helpers now have girl friends. I think I may just get a part time job to bring my car from mule status to magazine worthy. If I do that I can't work on the car. It's like a coke habit! laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
A Pano writeup will yield you ZERO. They like to remove the names of any vendors you mention during the writeup. If a *certain* magazine would let you "mention" the fact that you sell the conversion parts... that would work.

B
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 30 2004, 09:57 PM)
If a *certain* magazine would let you "mention" the fact that you sell the conversion parts... that would work.

B

I think they call that advertizing biggrin.gif most people pay them for that. When I had my bodyshop I used to buy those advertizing editorials. You know, they feature your business (couple of photo's) in an article and make it look like news. Maybe I could pay for something like that.

I don't need to rush into anything yet. Just fishing for idea's and bouncing somethings off the people that count.
Jeroen
First off... pa & ma businesses can work very well.
It kept my belly full (and then some) throughout my teenage years biggrin.gif
It of course depends if there's any money to be made in your line of business, but if there is, the pa & ma thing should work just fine biggrin.gif

I found out that it's pretty though to make some bucks though. Everybody likes your stuff, and they all want it... 'till you tell 'm what it costs/takes...
Finding people willing to spend (serious) money in a niche market is not easy

So, to cut things short... give it your best shot, if you don't try, you'll never know.
Just don't quit your day job yet biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Joe Ricard
Damn Rich, just sold my 928 like 3 months ago. 123K on the motor only put a water pump and belt on the motor. never put nothing else in the motor. (they really are tougher than nails) just the rest of the car sucked all my fun money. 78 U.S. 4.5L that was still pretty fast pushinf a 3200lb car.

NOW YOU WANT TO BUILD ME A CAR headbang.gif I could have pulled the motor and parted the rest of the car and made money!!!!!!
d914
Go for "trade" as they say in the biz..... Free parts for advertising. Get commiments from grassroots, excellance and so forth to do the article. Hit up the suppliers for parts and mention..Copy and fab up a couple of the conversion parts and find some outlets for free advertising and see how it goes. Word to the wise, Stay wholesale, sell parts, sell instructions and or video's. The hours involved with these cars, per Brad and others would kill you or starve you to death.

My new bedroom unfurniture and decorating was ALL TRADE for advertising.
TJB/914
Hi Rick
I understand your dilemma. You get nothing in money compensation for a magazine article. I had my car in EXCELLENCE (Aug 2002 # 112) and only received personal satisifaction. I could get more money selling the car. I could advertise it with a magazine certificate of perfection. It might bring a few extra dollars. We don't do these things for the money, it's personal satisifaction and recognization.

Now for my solution:
Your car has been the glue to 914 interest in Porsche land. I have 911 friends that are asking questions about your car. Their hot button has been wet & they are now talking about 914 hot rod projects. They even have more interest/respect in my 914. Why not have a 914 community fund set up for your 914-8 finishing project?? All of us will benifit by a magazine article. I will start out with my pledge of $100 toward a finsih Rick's 914-8 restoration. How about it anyone else care to contribute!! The benifit's to our 914's would be worth it.

Tom Bliznik
P.S.
Once your car is in a magazine everyone want's to kick you off the big boy's porch. It only lasts for about two car shows. Now I am only another pretty face.
BatAc
Tom has a good funraising concept. agree.gif
aircooledboy
If you do the fund raising thing, I'm in for a C note too. We all benefit from the increased profile of such an awesome 914. smilie_pokal.gif One condition though: you can't cover up the Alien in the back trunk like you did at the MWC. wub.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Aug 31 2004, 09:49 PM)
One condition though: you can't cover up the Alien in the back trunk like you did at the MWC

Heck, that Alien logo/stamping should be on the front hood biggrin.gif

BEEEE-YOU-TEEEEE-FOOL
TJB/914
Hi All.
Glad some liked my idea. This could be a great 914-Club project. Of course we need lots of discussion before moving forward. We need the Board's (Brad, Jeroen, Seanery, etc. etc.) approval. We also need Rick's committment along with a (budget) amount of dollars to finish the Alien. A 914 community project would make great reading and a wonderful story.

Lets hear from our elders, Brad Roberts & others. Need their words of wisdom!! We got 2-C notes pledged so far. We need to put our energy into community projects. It would energize the 914 mania.

Tom
rick 918-S
Thanks for the wonderful offers. You guys rock aktion035.gif But I have a few aces up my sleeve yet. cool_shades.gif I have a few cars for sale and a few more to follow. I may be able to squeeze a few bucks out if the lake lot fund. I'm not down for the count. I just have a lot on my plate lately, and I was looking for ideas from the combined knowledge of the club. I'm determined guy. But I guess you couldn't tell! lol2.gif

I know what you mean about the interest in my car with other "P" enthusists! I have interest from 928 guys too! I think I managed to cross some boundries and helped earn two NARP models a little more of the respect our 914's and the 928's deserve!

That's why I want to bring my mule to the next level. Top suspension set up to handle the corners like Rob Ways car, unmatched shifting, and neck snapping power to the ground straight line performance with the feeling of unlimited top speeds. All this while not straying away from the GT/916 type styling! Next time I hand someone the keys I want their knees to go weak while their trying to hand them back!

Hey Maybe Jerry Seinfeld would like to go for a spin!

Hold your interest but don't send money! Unless you have an interest in purchasing a 1959 California MGA $ 9000.00 or a basket case 1954 Austin Healey 100-4 $ 5500.00
or a nice Daytonaviolett 1995 BMW M3 with a salvage title $12500.00 or a 1976 BMW 2002 with a franken motor in it $ 4500.00

I need to start a business so I can at least write off my trips to the club events.
Anyone know if it's too late to start a business an take the write off for the WCC trip last spring? happy11.gif

Thanks all, Lets have fun with it and ride this sucker for all it's worth!
horizontally-opposed
Rick (et al),

Great to hear you've got some more interest in the car -- you deserve it!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif

I guess I'll add a long-winded reply. I think getting your car "up" to magazine standards should really be about sorting the car before throwing money at it. Frankly, I kinda regret all the big-money projects that make it into Excellence so often. Sometimes they're great, but the ones I LOVE are stories like the guy with the "Delete-It-If-It-Breaks" 930 in black primer, or Jay Lamm's $500 928 story.

One of the most interesting comments I overheard while gaping at your car was from my friend Josh Ofstein, who owns the stunning Seal Gray GT2 that was in the Used GT2 vs. New GT3 story we did. He's a great guy, has been to the project-car circus, and sold three old 911s to get his GT2 and a bus pass.

He loved your car because he felt it has a feeling of "equal-ness." The whole car looks like it drove out of Bob Norwood's shop in 1978, as a result of a semi-tired 916 and a just-totaled 928. The wheels, paint finish, bodywork, seats, trim, tires, lenses -- everything matches up and gives your car the kind of patina restorations usually destroy. And in your car's case, I think the patina is REALLY cool.

So I would concentrate on sorting out the shifting, clutch, suspension, braking, and MAYBE clean the interior cloth or brighten it slightly (!?!?!?!?)

And do it on the cheap with CREATIVITY. Don't ruin the genuis AND charm of your project by making it just another big-money car. I LOVE YOUR CAR HOW IT IS! And I truly believe you can sort it out without resorting to the time-honored solution of huge cash infusions. If you could do what you've done, you can refine it, too.

Finally, a word about sponsors. I am sure some magazines won't have a problem doing an article on a car with "sponsored" parts, but we're old-fashioned at Excellence (for better or for worse). So we'll reject any car story if we learn it's got "sponsored" parts or promises involved. And yes, that means our employees don't take free stuff (though it's SORELY tempting at times!!!!). Especially when it comes to turning down free high-end tires...they usually think we're nuts. (Maybe they're right.) Anyway, the line can get pretty thin in places, but I've turned down a lot of stories because I thought they were getting a bit too "advertorial" -- and lost some advertisers for our stance a couple of times, too.

Our position: We're readership driven, which (hopefully!!!!) turns out a better, more trustworthy magazine that's more fun to read. We believe we serve advertisers best this way in the long run by giving them a better platform with a more loyal readership. Of course, maybe we're baked...

And, Tom, I love the C-note idea. I'll personally put in if Rick decides to take that route -- especially if it's a sorting fund. Anyway, Rick, I will totally respect any way you choose to go. It's a free country! But I'll be sad if I can't have your car in the magazine 'cause I just happen to like you (and your car) so much...

All the best! beerchug.gif

pete
SpecialK
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 30 2004, 09:55 PM)
It's like a coke habit! laugh.gif

I think a bad coke habit would be cheaper! biggrin.gif

Good luck, and keep us posted with your intent! smilie_pokal.gif
horizontally-opposed
Oh yeah -- any interest in sticking a Cayenne V8 into our 986...? cool_shades.gif

Just kidding. I am car-broke for a while.

pete
redshift
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 31 2004, 09:51 PM)
Hold your interest but don't send money! Unless you have an interest in purchasing a 1959 California MGA $ 9000.00 or a basket case 1954 Austin Healey 100-4 $ 5500.00
or a nice Daytonaviolett 1995 BMW M3 with a salvage title $12500.00 or a 1976 BMW 2002 with a franken motor in it $ 4500.00

ADMIN! Please move this to classified/OTHER MAKES

You go, Rich!

M
rick 918-S
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 31 2004, 09:46 PM)
Rick (et al),

Great to hear you've got some more interest in the car -- you deserve it!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif

I guess I'll add a long-winded reply. I think getting your car "up" to magazine standards should really be about sorting the car before throwing money at it. Frankly, I kinda regret all the big-money projects that make it into Excellence so often. Sometimes they're great, but the ones I LOVE are stories like the guy with the "Delete-It-If-It-Breaks" 930 in black primer, or Jay Lamm's $500 928 story.

One of the most interesting comments I overheard while gaping at your car was from my friend Josh Ofstein, who owns the stunning Seal Gray GT2 that was in the Used GT2 vs. New GT3 story we did. He's a great guy, has been to the project-car circus, and sold three old 911s to get his GT2 and a bus pass.

He loved your car because he felt it has a feeling of "equal-ness." The whole car looks like it drove out of Bob Norwood's shop in 1978, as a result of a semi-tired 916 and a just-totaled 928. The wheels, paint finish, bodywork, seats, trim, tires, lenses -- everything matches up and gives your car the kind of patina restorations usually destroy. And in your car's case, I think the patina is REALLY cool.

So I would concentrate on sorting out the shifting, clutch, suspension, braking, and MAYBE clean the interior cloth or brighten it slightly (!?!?!?!?)

And do it on the cheap with CREATIVITY. Don't ruin the genuis AND charm of your project by making it just another big-money car. I LOVE YOUR CAR HOW IT IS! And I truly believe you can sort it out without resorting to the time-honored solution of huge cash infusions. If you could do what you've done, you can refine it, too.

Finally, a word about sponsors. I am sure some magazines won't have a problem doing an article on a car with "sponsored" parts, but we're old-fashioned at Excellence (for better or for worse). So we'll reject any car story if we learn it's got "sponsored" parts or promises involved. And yes, that means our employees don't take free stuff (though it's SORELY tempting at times!!!!). Especially when it comes to turning down free high-end tires...they usually think we're nuts. (Maybe they're right.) Anyway, the line can get pretty thin in places, but I've turned down a lot of stories because I thought they were getting a bit too "advertorial" -- and lost some advertisers for our stance a couple of times, too.

Our position: We're readership driven, which (hopefully!!!!) turns out a better, more trustworthy magazine that's more fun to read. We believe we serve advertisers best this way in the long run by giving them a better platform with a more loyal readership. Of course, maybe we're baked...

And, Tom, I love the C-note idea. I'll personally put in if Rick decides to take that route -- especially if it's a sorting fund. Anyway, Rick, I will totally respect any way you choose to go. It's a free country! But I'll be sad if I can't have your car in the magazine 'cause I just happen to like you (and your car) so much...

All the best! beerchug.gif

pete

Pete, You are an eloquent writer with astute sense. Your friends observation is interesting and on point. I love the feel of this word "equal-ness" I read your words several times today. My plan for the Alien was to build a car, Porsche could have and should have built. If Porsche and VW could have worked out an agreement after the death of the CEO of VW who knows what direction our little cars would have headed.

I don't feel my car is true representation of what a real 914 is. I do feel like my car is a true 914 in the basic sense. I never wanted to stray from that. I managed to stay focused on the end result without straying too far from my vision.

The kids were a bad influence. They were campaining for 18" wheels, twin coffee cans, and neon green LCD dash and pulsing green glowing neon coming from under the Spyder!

I wanted the car to look dated. Basic Black, old school tires and wheels, almost un-noticable exhaust, (except for the distinct note) just enough 928 Pasha flash to get your attension.

BTW: the Pasha fabric is the silver/grey and black version. The white and black version is NLA. I hunted far and wide to find it.

I respect what you said with regard to the cars patina. I will keep that word in mind over the long winter while I rewerk the build. I guess I have been watching too many shows on Discovery. I used to build cars for other people and watch them get all the recognition for my sweat. It seems I lost sight of my goal to build a working and driving car not a trailer Queen.

I've been giving it some thought over the past few days. I'm really too busy to start a Ma & Pa business. I just need to re-group and sell a couple of cars.

I appreciate all the advise I received here. I'm not going to accept any sponsor stuff. I want my car in all the publications that will have me. We all deserve it.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 1 2004, 12:40 AM)
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 31 2004, 09:51 PM)
or a nice Daytonaviolett 1995 BMW M3 with a salvage title $12500.00 or a 1976 BMW 2002 with a franken motor in it  $ 4500.00

ADMIN! Please move this to classified/OTHER MAKES

You go, Rich!

M

Busted! biggrin.gif happy11.gif LMAO!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 31 2004, 09:49 PM)
Oh yeah -- any interest in sticking a Cayenne V8 into our 986...? cool_shades.gif

Just kidding. I am car-broke for a while.

pete

Drop the car and parts off when your serious smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif I haven't found a loose Cayenne V8 yet. (ooops)

I do have a BMW V12 in the wings. happy11.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 2 2004, 07:07 AM)

Sounds more like a thing for GreekDriver...
Unless you can get a reliable 2000bhp from it and let it rev over 20K
lol2.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 2 2004, 03:27 AM)

lol2.gif

LMFAO! Ya-roooon! laugh.gif
Mueller
I haven't found a loose Cayenne V8 yet.

I've looking for a Cayenne V6 motor....I talked to a few local Porsche wrecking yards and was told that the wrecked/damaged Cayennes that are rolling across the auction block are being bought by autobody shops trying to make a quick buck....be careful when buying a used Cayenne sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Rich,

I think everyone goes thru a time when everything is not right and you feel in a funk....just a few weeks ago I was "this" close to selling all my parts, prints and fixtures for my bearing kits at cost (or less) just to be able to walk away from the small little hassels and worries that come about from doing this......now I am over it, had a few talks with some freinds and came to see the light smile.gif

I think it's great that you stuffed that motor in the 914 to prove to the world that it can be done and is just not a myth...and it was done by an individual, not some million dollar company that can pay whatever it takes to get the job done.

Selling 928 conversion kits might be tough, if you can do it with no real overhead and only have the parts made once an order is placed and money (deposit) is in hand (this is how Redawg conversions does it from what I understand, nothing it stock, everything made to order)

I do believe there is a potential buyer for your car, however it'll take just the right alignments of the stars and planets smile.gif This would be the way to go if you are not too emotionally attached to "the alien", with the new space available and money in your pocket, you can build another one biggrin.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Sep 2 2004, 03:27 AM)

lol2.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

that's f-ing funny
Root_Werks
ohmy.gif Holy $h!t Rick! That is the first time I ever got a good look at your car. nice job on the conversion!

I bought a 1981 928 for $1k with a bad motor about 2 years ago. Bought a good compressioned 81 DME (Not CIS) motor from a local yard for $750. Great car, drove it around for a few months and sold it for $$$.

When I was doing all of this, I came dam close, and I mean dam close to trying to stick the 928 motor into a 73 914-4 I had at the time. I figured it could be done, but didn't look as straight forward as even a SBC.

You did it though! smilie_pokal.gif

Dam nice job. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.