Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel or ignition ??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boomy
Hi, hope someone can help ....

The engine: 1.7 type 4 with twin dellorto's

The problem: turns over fine, but takes about 2-3 turns of the key before it will fire from cold...then it sort of starts, I try to use the gas pedal to get it going and it just dies..?? ....it does then start but recently after being left for a couple of weeks took about 5 minutes to start..

I have tried diferent start methods, all to no avail. It starts fine when it has been run that day or is quite warm..

I have checked the spark, cap/rotor arm, plugs etc and all look OK...it has got a new(ish) electronic ignition system.

Once up and running it is pretty much OK; it does backfire on overun a bit, but pulls fine...

Is this an ignition component breaking down or a fuel prob..the pump for instance ??

Any help appreciated ....thanks...Mark
mike_the_man
I don't know much about carbs, but I'd say that it's probably normal for carbs to be hard to start when cold. If you don't have a choke, or any type of cold enrichment system, it's gonna be hard to start. I'm sure that somebody who knows more will speak up.
ArtechnikA
Dells have no chokes so they'll always be a bit finicky about starting.

Weber-equipped 914.6's came with a hand throttle to assist the warmup phase, but /4's don't have them.

the standard carburetor cold-starting procedure is to pump the throttle two or three times to provide a bit of cold-start enrichment. then crack the throttle -a little- and turn the key. don't play with the throttle much - you risk flooding.

don't know what pump you're using, or now it's connected, but that's almost never a factor in cold-start performance.

when it's playing hard-to-get, pull a plug and see what's goin on in there. if the plug is drippy wet with fuel, you need to add more steady throttle position - to add more air. DON'T PUMP. if they're dry, you may have a fuel delivery issue.

like Webers, Dellorto carbs tend to idle jet clogging, which will make starting hard, so make sure those are clear.

finally - make sure your valves are adjusted spot-on and your static spark advance is not too great.

oh - and welcome !
boomy
thanks ppl .... now I just need to tackle the handbrake situation !! laugh.gif cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.