Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with throttle cable repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
Hi,

I decided to take a drive on Friday... hopped in, got all ready to fire up... pumped the throttle as I always do, and snap - tension releases as the throttle cable lets go.

Upon investigation, it separated at what appears to be a crimped connector near the carb linkage. Never noticed the connector before, but perhaps when I switched from Progressive carb to dual 40's, my mechanic had to crimp on another few inches of cable?

anyway, I can easily fit the loose end back inside the connector. My questions are:

1. Should I just insert it, crimp the connector, and call it a day?
2. Should I add anything (loctite, gorilla glue) and then crimp it?
3. Should I consider this a temporary fix and replace the whole cable ASAP? Or will this DIY job last if done properly?

914Mels
If your crimp connection just pulled apart and the cable insn't damaged, you could get a new correct sized sleeve and re-crimp it or use a barrel clamp like the heater cable uses at the heater box. Just make sure to adjust the throttle stop so your not over stressing the cable.
flipb
OK, so this morning I went out to re-crimp the throttle cable connector... and discovered that it's not the type of connector that one would crimp. Guess I didn't look closely when I found the break.

Attached are photos. How is this type of connector supposed to be fastened? How can I DIY? I'm supposed to bring the car to the shop this afternoon (for several things, perhaps to include a new throttle cable!) and I really don't want to deal with towing for something so simple.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sorry 'bout the grimy engine... she's a driver. smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Far from a cable expert, but that just don't look right. From the pics it appears the cable has broke and this is a repair attempt. Its gonna break again. Buy a new one. Oh, if I'm correct, and your mechanic did this? find a new mech.
flipb
I need to make it about 5 miles.

Can I just loop some wire through one of the end holes on the linkage connected to the hex bar, then barrel-clamp it (or somehow fasten it) to the good end of the cable?
TheCabinetmaker
I'm sure you could if you don't stomp on the pedal too hard. I've removed the lid and ran a wire into the cockpit and used it as a hand throttle to get me home.
flipb
I know you're all at the edge of your seats, waiting to see how I solved this problem...
dry.gif

My philosophy of DIY: If it can't be repaired with zip ties, take it to a professional.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I pumped the pedal a few times and it seems like a decent connection. We'll find out in a little while. To be safe, I'll take the flatter / less hilly route to the shop - don't want this to pop while I'm halfway up a steep hill.
76-914
Take Clay's advice. Bring a long piece of string or wire.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 10 2012, 10:34 AM) *

Take Clay's advice. Bring a long piece of string or wire.

When did Clay sneak into this thread?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.