Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aaaarrrrggghhh - brakes !!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boomy
HELP....after only being a 914 owner for a couple of months, I am highly confused about the handbrake situation in these cars...when I bought the car I was told that the rear calipers needed rebuilding/overhauling..the one on the drivers side is now non effective, and the handbrake hardly works...easy I thought, I get a kit to refurb them...now people are telling me conflicting info - basically that these kits have bits missing and often arnt that good...what IS the situation with this ATe stuff ?? It all sounds pretty expensive

Can someone please explain to a newbie my best option for getting the handbrake sorted...

And if that wasnt enough, the brakes haev started binding when they get warm..at leadst I think thats what it is ??!! ....after about 20 mins driving, a binding noise starts to whine...when I tap the brake pedal it dissapears for a few seconds and then returns...any ideas on how to deal with these issues ?? huh.gif

Thanks ..
SpecialK
QUOTE(boomy @ Sep 2 2004, 11:34 PM)
HELP....after only being a 914 owner for a couple of months, I am highly confused about the handbrake situation in these cars...when I bought the car I was told that the rear calipers needed rebuilding/overhauling..the one on the drivers side is now non effective, and the handbrake hardly works...easy I thought, I get a kit to refurb them...now people are telling me conflicting info - basically that these kits have bits missing and often arnt that good...what IS the situation with this ATe stuff ?? It all sounds pretty expensive

Can someone please explain to a newbie my best option for getting the handbrake sorted...

And if that wasnt enough, the brakes haev started binding when they get warm..at leadst I think thats what it is ??!! ....after about 20 mins driving, a binding noise starts to whine...when I tap the brake pedal it dissapears for a few seconds and then returns...any ideas on how to deal with these issues ?? huh.gif

Thanks ..

Did you set the clearance between the rotor and the pads when you installed the back calipers (this 'gapping' also dictates how well your E-brake works, if at all)? Haynes says .008", but I've recently heard on this BBS that .004 is better.

As far as the kits go, I received the most complete kit with detailed instructions from:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...D=in&MSID=39182

Most of the kits out there don't have the caliper halve o-rings, and the new caliper boot retainer springs aren't as good as the originals (re-use them they say).
SpecialK
Geez!!....How buzzed am I? ohmy.gif I'm the first response, and I 'quoted' the poster! beer.gif slap.gif
boomy
Thanks dude, I havnt actually had the calipers of yet, so dont know about the clearances, but I will check out the link you have posted.

smile.gif
boomy
..errr..the link dont work..?? sad.gif ..is it me...
SpecialK
It was suppose to be a link to "9146986", a member that sells brake rebuild kits. Hmmm...the link worked the last time I tried it. confused24.gif
mike_the_man
Nope, link didn't work for me either. You want to check and set the rear clearance with the calipers on the car. There is a pretty good explanation in the Haynes manual.

Good luck,
SpecialK
Ooops, I see what the problem with the link is, can't post a link to a PM rolleyes.gif

Call Contact Perry Kiehl 800-867-4712 (914 network) about the brake kits and rebuild info. wink.gif
brp914
Thats strange, in 17 years of 914 ownership I've never had any problems. ok, ok, leave humor to the pro's.

First off, dont drive it if the brakes are dragging. You can toast the caliper seals and wheel bearing. As already said, check pad to disk clearance. You'll love making that adjustment - esp the inside one. Also, make sure the adjustment on e-brake cable is ok. Also, I've had the cable seize internally due to engine heat or rust, such that the ebrake remains on even when the lever is released. If the caliper leaks from the ebrake pivot buy a rebuilt ~$100. Dont split that caliper unless you have to - you can replace the piston seals w/o doing that. Lotsa luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.