Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spunone
This may seem like a lame question but is there a particular type of cable thats better than another.or are they all the same?Just wanted to know who makes the best.
SpecialK
I think the general consensus is the "Terry Cables" are the best.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Special_K @ Sep 3 2004, 03:28 PM)
I think the general consensus is the "Terry Cables" are the best.

I didn't particpate in that vote. biggrin.gif

A Gemo cable works just fine. Save your money on the cable and apply it somewhere else where it is going to make a diference.
thomasotten
agree.gif I have tried the heavy duty kind, and I don't think they are any better. They all stretch. If you are having to adjust it all the time, check your firewall for cracks.
J P Stein
Me too, I didn't get polled....well, you know what I mean biggrin.gif

Factory part is my favorite. The one in my car has been in there since before I bought the car.....ah...6-7 years ago....+ god knows with the PO.
Brad Roberts
The Terry cables are MUCH smoother. Test me the next time you see me. Have me sit in two different cars (one with each cable) and I can tell you in a nanosecond which one has the Terry. The factory cable runs through a plastic sheath which creates drag on the cable for over 3 feet. The Terry doesnt do this.

B
J P Stein
Nopers, the Terry cable creats drag on Fwd end of the clutch tube instead. cool_shades.gif
Brad Roberts
Not unless the tube has been repaired incorrectly. I actually pay attention to how the cable exits the clutch tube (and throttle tube for that fact.) I stick a number 2 Phillips into the end of the clutch tube and move it depending on what it needs.

B
thomasotten
It seems like you would want some plastic sheathing to keep dirt from clinging to the cable.
Brad Roberts
The Terry runs a much finer cable. Dirt only sticks to cables when they have grease on them.

B
J P Stein
What ever you say.....you're the guru. pray.gif

Just a WAG, but I would think the factory puts the sheath on both the clutch & throttle cables specificly to keep the cables from rubbing on the tubes.....but WTF do I know confused24.gif
d7n7master
Another vote for TerryCables. Once installed, and re-adjusted after say a couple of weeks, done. No more streatch that I can tell. Plus, no lube req'd. Go figure.
Only wish that I had had TerryCables on my bug 15 years ago. When my clutch cable failed (back in the day) I had to shut it off & use the starter to get launched and crash gears to get home - more than a few times.
Brad Roberts
They both work. One is just smoother than the other. The Terry will wear through the tube before it breaks.

Here is what pisses me off about the stock ones:

(oH ..dont give me shit about the guru crap.. I didnt write it)

When/if the white plastic sheeth brakes at the firewall (where it attaches to the black outer sheathing)... the assembly becomes worthless at that point even though the cable itself is fine.

B
airsix
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Sep 3 2004, 12:35 PM)
Save your money on the cable and apply it somewhere else where it is going to make a diference.

I'm totally with Brad on this one (Sorry JP). If the clutch tube is lined up correctly the cable doesn't drag on it at all. Terry cable = smooth. Stock cable = friction.

You'd think that as long as a cable isn't broken that there's no reason to replace it. Wrong. I snapped a throttle cable and replaced it with a Terry cable and couldn't believe the difference. So smooth and light compared to the 30yr-old OEM cable (that was likely caked with dirt and corrosion). I'm actually glad the OEM cable broke - the new cable feels THAT MUCH BETTER.

-Ben M.
thomasotten
I am about to install one. It has been a while, do I need to grease the cable? Mine is a "Gemo" cable.
Brad Roberts
This sucks but I'm going to say it anyway...

I see 4-6 different 914's every week (physically work on them).. and have for several years. Clutch issues seam to be at the top of the "issues" list.

How many people here knew that the 74 1.8 cars had WHITE throttle cables ?

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 3 2004, 06:33 PM)

(oH ..dont give me shit about the guru crap.. I didnt write it)
B

Hay, somebody around here has to pull your chain once in a while......it was my turn laugh.gif

I have a new OEM spare should anything break.....doesn't everybody?
Brad Roberts
Nope. I carry a Terry spare...LOL :finger2:

The key is:

If you have never driven a car with Terry cables.. you will never no what the difference is.

B
J P Stein
It's OK, Ben....Larson is on my side biggrin.gif
sgomes
I remember on some previous thread that the terry cables were sometimes longer than the stock cable. Is that the case or am I just smoke.gif
d7n7master
Yep. The one I bought was WAY longer than stock. Once adjusted, it's all good. And add me to the "smooth" club. It's been so long - I forgot.
campbellcj
I like the Terry cables as well.

BUT the main tip is to make sure your ground points are good; esp the trans ground strap. Otherwise, there is a risk that your electrical system will ground thru the clutch cable which melts the sheath and voila, your new cable is toast in like 2 months.
Trekkor
I keep forgeting to order the T-cable. headbang.gif
Mine makes a stretchy, likes its twisted sound.

I have the throttle T-cable and I love it! wub.gif

KT
IanStott
Where do you get theTerry cables? I am in the middle of a complete restore and am thinking just get the Terry cables, the consensus seems to be they are the best.

Ian Stott
Trekkor
Welcome on board, Ian.

Call Rich or Brad at High Performance House.
http://www.highperformancehouse.com/

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.