Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decided to rig up a degree wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I decided to rig up a degree wheel to use in setting up the valve train. It's just a paper 360 degree disk stuck on my trigger wheel with a pointer off 1 of the studs for the cooling shroud. It should be interesting to see where valves open and close.

Dave
DNHunt
I think it will make it a little easier to replicate TDC. I expect to be repeating this stuff a bunch
d7n7master
SOB!!! I want your engine stand!!! OH,,,,,,,,,,& the results of your v/t setup. That's actually the ONLY thing I miss about my bugs. Man, 7 1/2 degrees - static - done. That was then.
Everytime I kick my '73 2.0 to 3.5k to check/set the timing I think about how simple life once ways. Too many timing marks - so little time lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
Mueller
look'n good Dave pray.gif

nice degree wheel, I just printed out a few for this weekend smash.gif
Tom Perso
Have fun with that!!!

Do you have the v/t springs setup in your heads? Those double-throw down dual springs will bend an adjustable pushrod in a blink of an eye.

Tom
DNHunt
Tom

Mine are some single springs. I have some springs from the hardware store I can use if need be.

Dave
Tom Perso
You are all set!!!

Good luck... What type of pushrods are you using?

Tom
DNHunt
Chromoly
DNHunt
Here's a picture of the trial springs on the valve stems
DNHunt
I made a little stand for the dial indicator that rests on the valve cover sealing surface
DNHunt
I've got a rectangular frame that clamps the indicator stand down. It uses threaded rod and clips into the holes that hold the valve cover bales.

As soon as the kid wakes up we'll install the rocker studs and start checking stuff. I might have a little wait, he had his first high school dance last night.
DNHunt
Well, we managed to get 1 cylinder done. Dad had a little problem with a rotor on backwards, which I thought was the cam drive off 180 degrees or the dizzy drive. The kid said check the rotor. Don't ask how come I took a couple of hours to figure it out.

Here we are already to start on #1 exhaust
DNHunt
The idea is to get the adjuster parallel to the valve stem at half opening. The intake ended up at .514 and the exhaust ended up at .487.

Here is the intake
DNHunt
A lot of trial and error. Here as good a shot as I could get of what I think it's supposed to look like at half open.

I need a beer givemebeer.gif

Dave
swood
Dave, how's the vtg going? What adjusters are you using, looks like a pointy tip or something.

Steve
Jake Raby
Dave, looking good! I like your tool for the geometry!

I sent you an email
DNHunt
The adjusters are swivel feet. The one in the picture is an old pointy thing I ground so I could see better. Here's a better picture of the adjusters. Note they are not on center engine front to engine back. A couple are about 3/4 of a mm one way or the other.

Reading the cam at the valve just drove me crazy. I had to keep asking myself how many times did that go around. It turns out the cam has more lift on the intake than the exhaust but a longer duration on the exhaust. The intake ramps up faster so the duration at .050" is almost the same.

The rocker shims are thicker on the 1, 2 side than the 3, 4 side. I think I have it right.

Dave
Jake Raby
Looks great Dave... Thats what its suppose to look like. Isn't it funny how close my guess was on the pushrod length.

I have used that cam atleast 200 times boldblue.gif
DNHunt
Here's Gerry torqueing down the rockers to check the crossover point on #4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.