Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New Race Car Project...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
nine14cats
I've decided to retire the former #628 race car (anyone want to buy a car that you can go on the track with by just stuffing an engine/tranny in?) and have purchased a new tub and a load of new parts to put on it. The idea is the same as last time, be competitive in Auto-x and Time Trials and learn enough to run in the Porsche Racing Club. The first 2 goals we did fine in with the previous car, but catching the big bad boys was going to be difficult with a 2.7 litre 6 car....

After blowing the engine at Buttonwillow....I had to decide what to do...so since it's only money.... barf.gif

Here we go....

Trekkor...I hope you enjoy! laugh.gif

Bill P.

1. The car --
nine14cats
Tub is fully prepped for racing...Tony C cage...includes raised suspension points... happy11.gif
nine14cats
Engine you say?

1995 3.6 Litre 993 motor. 38K miles. It will keep its injection...just flip the switch...hit the happy button...and race...no more carbs to play with....
nine14cats
pulleys?....we've got pulleys!... cool.gif
nine14cats
Headers?

Coated headers with the O2 bung.....
nine14cats
Wiring Harness?

yep...got that too.... rolleyes.gif
nine14cats
Oil Cooling? Yes we have oil cooling...let me see...

here we go beerchug.gif
nine14cats
oh yeah...we need an oil tank...

here it is....
nine14cats
oil filter in line as well....
nine14cats
For the oil runs you need lotsa fittings...

a whole bag full! laugh.gif
nine14cats
To shift the darn thing...you need a bigger transaxle...

I have a 915 core...it's getting the full WEVO treatment....sideshift package, gateshift, short gears, Guard LSD...on and on and on....
richardL
Nice...

Seem to recall that I recognize that tub - it had some nice setup done to it

Richard
nine14cats
You need a DME flywheel to fit in with the 915 so here it is! smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
Show the 915 (soon to be WEVO converted)... oh.. let me know if/when you are ready to order the LSD for the 915. I just talked with PaulG a few days ago.

B
nine14cats
And a clutch...

Centerforce unit...I was going to go superlite, but my wife will be driving the car and for auto-x it will be easier for her (and me) with a flywheel/clutch combo with a little weight to it...
nine14cats
And the body work.....

Can you say

SHERIDAN.... happy11.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif
nine14cats
B,

Just say the word and we can order the LSD...I'd like you to review my gear ratio calculations....I want to make sure I'm buying the right gears...

laugh.gif

Bill P.
nine14cats
The brain trust working on this car is awesome...I have access to personally talk with and brainstorm ideas with the folks from HPH (Brad, Rich), WEVO (Hayden, Tracey), and Smart Racing (Rich). They all kick ass and this car is going to rock...

There is a list of goodies on this car that are either on it or will be on it that should make the car VERY competitive. Where as the next step for mid-engine is Boxster...I'm going to stay 914 and try to update it with the latest technology...until I buy a Boxster! (I'll let Brad do the development and buy the package later.....yeah right...how much will that be???? blink.gif )
laugh.gif

Bill P.
i love porsche
oooo this is going to be nice!! keep progress pictures posted!
retrotech
Who manufactures that oil cooler? Demensions?

Retro
Brad Roberts
The plan is to start hanging body work and get all the welding done prior to stripping the tub and painting it. The body shop will be ready in 2 weeks. Right now it is a steerable roller.

B
Brad Roberts
It's a Setrab/Mocal oil cooler. Also check the Fluidyne website.

Bill will know the dimensions.

B
nine14cats
The oil cooler is made by Setrab. It's roughly 26x11x1.75. Alot of folks in SoCal, Nev, Az are running them on their 930's.....

Bill P.
neo914-6
Why is the firewall moved forward ~ 6"? How was the car set up previously?
Felix
Brad Roberts
But most of them are slow... so plan on a bigger oil cooler.. :finger2: Jerry Woods recommends the Fluidyne setup on cars with no engine mounted oil cooler. Same size lengthwise but MUCH thicker (like double).

B
Brad Roberts
The OE firewall was cutout because it was rusty. A new firewall that goes straight up from the floorpans (maybe a slight angle) now goes to a kind of "shelf" area right below the rear window. Felix.. you walked past this car at the Palo Alto shop about 10 times. It has always been a 4 or 6 cyl car.

B
nine14cats
:finger2: laugh.gif

I know...I know...after talking with you the other night I already have a new one plugged in the spreadsheet....for the most part I did alright on my own...

only a few parts to upgrade.... ohmy.gif

When we get to the nose of the car...say the word....

p.s. if Doris asks why we have 2 oil coolers in the garage...the story is that the engine is MUCH bigger than the last one.... lol2.gif

Bill P.
neo914-6
you walked past this car at the Palo Alto shop about 10 times

I can barely remember what happened last week, besides I only noticed your V8 projects... laugh.gif
Felix
SirAndy
ahh, yes, that's a nice tub! your first pics are from the old palo alto shop ... biggrin.gif

congrats! that will be a blast!
driving.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
The key is: too much oil cooler can be blocked off. Not enough and you are packing it up and heading home. I do beleive we can "overkill" the cooling especially when we are talking about expensive 3.6 engines that never came with a block mounted oil cooler. Also.. build the cooling system one time. Later on (years) you may want to do a full race 3.8 or something. Plan ahead. Be prepared for needing extra cooling. You dont want to do it twice.

B
neo914-6
that's a nice tub!

Brad,
Was that the one you were selling with the 911 hood?

Bill,
Congrats, great project!

BTW, I'd like to check out your HPH flares on your old car if it's still at your house. I live near Lincoln.

Felix
nine14cats
agree.gif ...this bad boy is gonna be quick, cool, and reliable...I want to join everyone for dinner and bs at the end of the day instead of fixing broken bits in order to run the next morning....we're gonna do this one right.... clap56.gif

Bill P.

I can't wait for next spring.... happy11.gif
Britain Smith
Look'n Good Bill...

-Britain
seanery
drooley.gif
Jeroen
Hey Bill,

Congrats on the new project!
I figured from earlier post you'd be going this route biggrin.gif

Too cool. I still have quite a few pics and info of the car in it's former "glory"
(before Brad got it) and that very car was actually a big inspiration for me
(I think it was one of the first semi-tube frame cars I saw on the net)

cheers,

Jeroen
drew365
Bill; I'm going to be real interested in following your racing after you get this new car together. My 2.7 and I turn real respectable times when we go out but we're in the toughest POC class, V3. I've been trying to figure out how to beat some of these taildragging bad boys without joining them. Part of my problem is I'm starting out from a 2.0 stock motor and adding points from there. They're starting out with 3.2's stock. It's hard to make a 914 competitive. Same situation with tire and wheel sizes. Anyway, carry the flag brother! smilie_pokal.gif
Trekkor
I'm back and look what pops up! Yeah now!

This is good.

Tell us about the color scheme.
I love the body work.

What wheels? Tires?

I'm happy for you Bill and Doris! mueba.gif

What is the target wieght?

Thanks for the pics...It helps. wacko.gif

KT
Andyrew
How much did ya pick up the tub for???

I want.... baaaad...
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 4 2004, 11:35 AM)
And the body work.....

Can you say

SHERIDAN.... happy11.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif

would you consider painting your car GREEN?

this is what it would look like....
Brad Roberts
It will look just like that... but ORANGE. The main tub will be white just like the factory current race cars.

It will get 16x10 HRE mesh wheels with Goodyear R430 for track use and 250's for AutoX use (front and rear)

B
Mueller
Bill, do you think power steering will be considered??

looks like the start of great car !!!!

Hey Brad, I forget, does this car have roller bearings front and rear or only rear??
Stutgart46
What does the other car look like? You mentioned you may sell it as a roller, is it still for sale? Please post pics.
Good luck with the project. Looks like a lot of fun.
Keep us posted.
seanery
Bill's Other Car
Brad Roberts
Mueller,

It has roller F+R already. I'm looking at Miata racks right now for power steering. TC was stripping a Miata and I spotted the steering rack out of it... it should work fine with the 3.6 PS pump. We will see.

B
nine14cats
Hey Mike...You were reading our minds....

As part of the update of a "vintage" 914 to a more modern feel we are exploring power steering for the car. My wife would appreciate it for auto-x especially and factory race cars have been using power steering for years.

With the 3.6 having the pump still on it...I wouldn't have to block it off. If it can fit, the Miata unit would be the way to go. It it won't, there still is the JWE power steering rack they use in their race cars. A tad $$$$ but I'm pretty committed to it. (I already promised Doris!)

Bill P.
nine14cats
Hi Stut!

As you saw from the thread Seanery posted the car is turnkey sans engine and tranny combo. I sold my blown up engine (2.7 L 6) to someone in SoCal and the tranny to Randal. (still got it in the garage for him to swap out when the season is over).

I'm off on a vacation for 10 days starting tomorrow. When we get back I'll put the car up for sale in the classifieds.

The car is complete. If you put an engine and trans in it you could be on a track or auto-xing immediately.

hint...hint...hint laugh.gif

I rather sell her whole instead of piecing the thing out. She's a good car. Very competitive in locat PCA events.

Thanks,

Bill P.
brant
Brad,

are you doing all the build up.
Think she will be ready for next spring?

big project..
keep the updates flowing..
looks nice
brant
Randal
Hey Bill,

What a great project that looks to be coming together fast.

Doris is going to be the fastest lady on the block!

Guess the the first and second positions are going to be locked up, with a single family, for some time, hey?

Hope that you'll take the car to Parade and clean up!

Randal
campbellcj
FWIW I heard that Goodyear has started discontinuing their 16" superwide slicks, so you might want to check that out before ordering the spendy wheels. I guess so many racers run 17-19" wheels now that there's not much market for the 16x10 - 12" rubber. confused24.gif
nine14cats
Thanks for the heads up Chris....I'll have to make a call to Hoosier as well...

The 1 set of 16" wheels came with the car...I still have to order the second set of wheels...

Thanks,

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.