Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 12 point Alan wrench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
02loftsmoor
what size is the 12 point alan wrench for the CV joints 8mm or 6mm?
popcorn[1].gif
underthetire
You mean the special star socket? Someone here sells those.
rick 918-S
Twelve point, Triple square or serrated wrench. Can't remember the size.
billh1963
Just used it today...8mm triple square
TheCabinetmaker
availavble at most flaps.
02loftsmoor
thanks guys biggrin.gif. What's flaps?
SLITS
FLAPS = Friendly Local Auto Parts Store ..

Go to a VW parts house and ask for the CV bolt tool.
02loftsmoor
I knew that...... Thanks
abnrdo
Autozone part number 25015. Worked great for me.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessori...ifier=2357_0_0_
toolguy
Carquest has a 4 piece set, all the metric sizes we need. . If I remember correctly it was around $12

here's the link http://www.toolsource.com/triple-square-po...ic-p-67247.html
shuie
Triple Square. 8mm. Check your local auto parts store.
02loftsmoor
picked up the bits from Auto zone 14 and some change,, thank you all wink.gif
6freak
so ya got them out ! replace them with 6piont 8MM and drill them for safety wire...cheap insurance.. Or buy a set from someone here on the World.....JMO
MikeC smile.gif
02loftsmoor
Thank you for the tip. I will
TheCabinetmaker
Make sure you use a hammer to fully seat the tool in the bolt. You will hear and feel it when it bottoms. The factory bolts are fine if you clean them and use new Schnor washers. The tripple square is less likely to strip the bolt than the allen, if the tool is installed properly.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 13 2012, 06:25 AM) *

so ya got them out ! replace them with 6piont 8MM and drill them for safety wire...cheap insurance.. Or buy a set from someone here on the World.....JMO
MikeC smile.gif

Here we go again. You guys all love so-called "upgrades", but when it comes to a real upgrade, you wanna go backwards. Early 914s used Allen (note the spelling and capitalization" or socket head bolts for the CV joints. They were "upgraded" (there's that beloved, but mostly mis-used, word again) to fasteners with a triple square drive because they'll take more torque safely without the irritating tendency to round off the socket (and the tool). Proper cleanliness, seating of the CV joint, and the use of new washers is the simplest way to prevent the properly torqued bolts from backing out. Safety wire is fine, but it's a PITA, and proper SS wire and the tool are pretty expensive.

The Cap'n
02loftsmoor
thank you i'll take all the tips and tricks I can

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 13 2012, 08:50 AM) *

Make sure you use a hammer to fully seat the tool in the bolt. You will hear and feel it when it bottoms. The factory bolts are fine if you clean them and use new Schnor washers. The tripple square is less likely to strip the bolt than the allen, if the tool is installed properly.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.