Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just got my 2.0L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
brp914
If you pull the flywheel put in a new pilot bushing. I had one of those go once and it trashed the input shaft to the gearbox. Sort of like that Murphys Law thing where the $300 picture tube blows out in order to save a 10 cent fuse.
Rhodes71/914
I'm gonna pull the flywheel, what else should I do while it's off?

Can't wait to see how this thing compares to the tired 1.7 that I finally have working ok.
Bleyseng
Change the rear main seal, resurface the flywheel, new pressure plate and clutch, throw out bearing, throw out arm cup bushing, add the spacer to the arm pivot etc....DWD is setting in..
914forme
Zoopseal is the only way to go here clear coat would be a choice on the cheap, but will wear out.

Zoopseal
3d914
Welcome!

If you're going to keep the stock Fuel Injection, got through and clean some of the mechanical parts & electrical contacts as follows:
  • Soak Aux Air Rgeulator in penetrating oil for a couple of days. Blow it dry, then test it with 12V - to make sure it closes in 10-15 miuntes.
  • Makre the the Fuel Pressure regulator is up to snuff. Fluctuating Fuel Pressure will play havoc with the FI.
  • Go through the wiring harness from the ECU and check every line for continuity from the main connector to each connectors respective end.
  • Clean the contacts of connectors with contact cleaner from Radio Shack or equivelant.
  • Clean all contacts on the Relay Board (the one that goes behind the drivers seat in the engine bay).
  • Verify that you have the correct & working relays & fuses on the board. The picture showed two blue fuses. one shold be blue & one red (I forget the amps - check the book).
  • Clean all three ground conections - there are three. 1) Located form tranny to bolt under rear trunk. 2) Behind air box (plenum) mounted at one of the rear case bolts. 3) Right underneath the Relay board - down in the corner of the engine bay.
  • Find a cover for the relay board. Even on it doesn't keep the board water tight - but it helps a lot.
I'm sure there's more, but this is what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Did anyone say you're REALLY going to love the 2.0 L compared to the 1.7.

Enjoy!
Rhodes71/914
Thanks for the input guys I will add what already wasn't on the list to the list.
Had to share a photo, probably the last day on the road until I get the 2.0 and sideshift tranny in. Just to many unknowns with the 1.7 need to focus my attention on the other, I just had to drive it a little.

Not bad for $700...
Rhodes71/914
Here is one piston and cylinder set, I have a line an some 94mm bus P&Cs that I have been told I can use the cylinders. They are a good deal and I am checking into them some more. These are prolly fine but new is nice too.
Rhodes71/914
Here is one piston and cylinder set, I have a line an some 94mm bus P&Cs that I have been told I can use the cylinders. They are a good deal and I am checking into them some more. These are prolly fine but new is nice too.
Root_Werks
So when are you gonna split the case? happy11.gif
Rhodes71/914
I think this is as far as I am going to go, except for the flywheel coming off to replace the seal.
Rhodes71/914
Wife and son are out shopping, wacko.gif , little girl is napping, dad gets a little garage time.

Cleaned up the pistons, deglazed the cylinders and cleaned up the fins, one broken one.

Still debating on sending the heads for a going over, after reading other thread today leaning towards having them worked on. Pretty sure my wallet wont like that one.
Rhodes71/914
Took the heads into a local VW shop, Ole Volks Home, and had the guy clean them up and check them out. Said they looked like they had been worked on recently, with new valve put in not many miles ago. Which jives with what the guy told me that I bought the engine from. Spark plug holes look good, no cracks that I can see.
Rhodes71/914
and the other one
Eric Taylor
Hey Sean - Do you live in Sunriver? I see the company in your aviator is in the village. My girlfriend has a house over their, next time I'm over i'll have to look you up.
Eric

P.S.
Sweet project. Those head's look great. What's the history on that Engine?
type47
you know, while you're in there...... laugh.gif

JB weld the oil galley plugs.....
Rhodes71/914
Hey Eric, yes my office is in the Sunriver Village Mall. I live about 7 miles outside of Sunriver, couldn't live with the Sunrvier CC&Rs - very restrictive. Drop me a pm or email if you are heading this way you can check out my project and we can shoot the sh!t.

History on the engine is that there is a guy that lives not far from me that has 3 parts 914s, two ok running 914's and is in the middle of a V8 conversion. he know about this place but isn't a poster.This engine is out of the car that he is converting. It's a 75 and all the smog stuff was removed long ago. I actually know the person that owned the car previously and work was done right before it was sold. I got a good deal on it.

BTW both my brother and sister graduated from the U of O, they loved it there.

type47
JB weld the oil galley plugs.....

Think I should?
Jeff Bonanno
thread

read this whole thread about oil gallies (there have been many here and at shoptalkforums)

edit - oops, fixed link
Rhodes71/914
Thanks Jeff for the link.

After reading that and a few other threads on here the galley plugs scare me but since the case is together I can't drill and tap. What other options do I have?
Eric Taylor
Sean- Sounds good. Yeah I was sondering about the regulations in sunriver. I couldn't imagine a 914 their, people would bitch smile.gif. Anyway yeah, the U of O Is pretty cool I really like it so far, but i'll pm you next time we go.
Eric
Rhodes71/914
Yes its been a while since I have posted anything on this thread but progress has been slow, and its cold in my non insulated garage. I got some time the last few days and the assembly has begun. Heads are back on, flywheel, and valves adjusted.
Rhodes71/914
I'm not sure what to think about these valve adjust screws on cylinder #2. It seems like they are backed way out to get them into adjustment.
Rhodes71/914
Yes its been a while but it is time for an update so here it is.

Start off with the engine as I got it.

user posted image

Now the cleaned up version, ready to go back in the car.
user posted image
user posted image

Engine is now in the car smilie_pokal.gif

Hopefully fire it up in the next couple of days.
Allan
Great progress. I gotta see how it runs. I see you routed the oil breather to the plenumn. Let me know if it sucks oil.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 12 2005, 01:02 PM)
Great progress. I gotta see how it runs. I see you routed the oil breather to the plenumn. Let me know if it sucks oil.

Yeah we'll see, from the diagram I had that was the routing.

I used the filler off my 1.7 cause the fitting on the breather from the 2.0 was too big for the hose that's why it wraps around kinda funny
Bleyseng
I was looking at that too, probably should get the 73-74 2.0 or 1.7 breather tower with a PCV valve on it to keep the oil from being sucked into the plenum.

Geoff
Rhodes71/914
Oh the frustration. Tried to do a test fire last night, tried to fire on one cylinder. I knew I had spark. Pull the injectors and 1 of the 4 were working. They were supposed to be in good working order. headbang.gif

So I soaked them overnight, we'll see what happens.
Rhodes71/914
After getting the injectors all cleaned and tested I got the engine to fire up, but I had a possible head leak. I hadn't lapped the cylinders to the head.

So I yanked the engine back out and stripped it all down and did what I should have in the first place.

That was a weak and a half ago and today was the big day. Did the static timing thing and that is the way to go, never had a 5deg mark on the fan before but I put one on. She fired right up and smooth too. Ran it at 2100 for 15 min, adjusted the idle, checked the timing and went for a drive around the block.

WOW how different it is than the tired 1.7 that wasn't even running when I got the car. driving.gif

Now on the the thousand other things to work on, hopefully not on jackstands for awhile. biggrin.gif
redshift
Good deal! smilie_pokal.gif It looks 100 times better.. it's nice when it's nice.

I can't believe what Ron said... God will have his way..

mad.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.